920 & 922

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You could if you want, but I will continue to use my 922 for at least a dish mover, (maybe more.)

The Azbox will not move a BUD nor will it control polarities of a polorotor

Right now I think the 4DTV value for resale is next to nothing, so it's best to keep it and make use of it anyway we can.

In the spirit of this board, did I miss any "concrete" evidence of a magical "end of service" date? (4DTV) If not, seems to me that continued talk of "the end" doesn't help our collective efforts to maintain people subscribing!

Yes, the economics spell a problem, but...the sunken costs of operation are already there and ongoing to our providers and authorizers.

Let's not kill ourselves off!

radio, I contacted Abraham at Motorola and he gave me a confirmation of Dec 31, but you know, nothing is written in stone. They may let us sub to W5 via 922 when the rest goes down, who knows. I am going to sub until they dont let me sub. It's really a damn shame, and we have had some networks that have been very friendly over the years, Scripps and Discovery, among others, that have always been so willing to let us sub, and Moto just wants to wash their hands of being the middle man.

Anyhow, Moto did give me the confirmation I was looking for, believe it or not. I think everyone should continue their sub to the end. Damn NPS, YSP, and Motorola.'

It ain't like pizza is going anywhere between now and Dec. 31, wait it out.

They may let us sub to W5 via 922 when the rest goes down, who knows.

That sounds like a possibility. Although the box is only like 150 bucks so no biggie. Is there something special about the 410 box that differs from the 922 to use W5 (technically speaking)? Are the frequencies or methods different on the W5 sat?

The 410 and 4D's both have digicipher decoders. They are the same (well almost the 920 does less SR's) All it really boils down to is to reset the EMM provider to HITS EMM vs the 4D EMM for the 4d's. The guide may not work with W5 though since it comes down as a big file vs trickles down like on the 410. So if we can live without the guide the decoding part should be easy. Now will Motorola and Comcast get it to happen? Comcast want's to play ball Motorola is against it. We can only wait and see.

I plan on being a 4DTV subscriber until the last day myself. Maybe until midnight to see it go dark. :(

It won't die at midnight Dec 31. I would expect January 2 or later of next year. They won't have someone there on New Years Eve to magically pull the plug.

In theory, 4DTV reciever could use the trickle guide, since I think that is how the 921 (StarChoce 4DTv model) get is guide data.

Now to think of it your right, Starchoice works just like HITS. If they don't make this happen it will be pure politics that they don't want it to work.

Even without the guide saving the 4D for W5 will be nice. :up

Too bad NPS will be out in the cold, good for them. :mad:

I'm going to run my 922 right to the end.. If it is possible to get HITS on my 4DTV model 922, I'll absolutely continue to subscribe to the HITS channels on W5, but I'm not going to spend any money to buy a model 410 receiver.

I've been a big dish user since 1988, and I've also been a small dish user since 1997 myself (when ExpressVu went "on the air"). I absolutely prefer the big dish for choice and quality, but I spend enough time working in the business environment each and every day to realize that only profitable ventures will continue to make a go of it. The big dish market has been losing subscribers for years, and NPS decided to finally take the industry to it's deathbed and started preparing the casket by going on a DishNetwork sales run. *IF* 4DTV does finally die on December 31, and if there is no re-mapping option available, we will all have to move on and make other choices if we want subscription tv. Or we can all take the money we've been spending on 4DTV subscriptions and buy a good quality Hi-Def 4:2:2, DVB-S2 Blind Scan receiver to watch free-to-air broadcasts.

I just took the plunge for at 3 monthes of 4DTV thru Skyvision with my newly acquired 922(An Ebay purchase included a 2007 Motorola 922 w/remote, Venture 24 inch ball screw actuator, 7.5 ft Perfect 10 dish with polarotor feedhorn & Precision 15^K LNB, lnb cover, Skyvision Sky Peaker Trio II meter, mic other items for $99, all within 1.5 hour drive of home.) My range is 55.5W to 139 W.
I'll wait it out with an ear to Access America on Fridays.
Dis(respectful) Network stopped calling me some time ago because they must have seen the BUD & Ku dishes in my yard. With all the lies they told me as a customer I certainly would never go back to them.:rolleyes:

It's a shame NPS did what they did this year by killing what was left of any real numbers for the 4DTV. If it continues on W5 it will only be by the grace of Skyvision and SRL. Charlie Ergan with his takeover of YSP and NPS cost the big numbers we had to disappear. I would love to see Dish Network crash and burn!

I wish Skyvision could help us somehow. They and other programmers will be hurt financially while the pizza pan folks be grinning all the way to the bank. I ain't going back to the high price of pizza pan programming. No way! I finally got the channels I wanted (thru Skyvision), now this BS happens...

If there is any way that the 922 can receive the W5 programming, I will go that route, as long I can still make the choices. Maybe the W5 is our hope.

If there is any way that the 922 can receive the W5 programming, I will go that route, as long I can still make the choices. Maybe the W5 is our hope.

I'm receiving SyFy on W5 using a 922 so yes you can get W5 programming. I hope that I'll be able to get SyFy after Motorola bails out and maybe even get some other programming. It would be nice to get some HD stuff so that my HDD200 doesn't go to waste.

Unless the clowns at Motorola put there nose to the grindstone and try to adapt the HITS data stream to the 4DTV's it's over for them. I believe that it can be done but things don't look to bright right now. I think it has more to do with economics than anything technical. Unless someone fronts the green no one will play ball. Those with the green are skeptical to invest it into something that may not take off.

The reason I believe the 4DTV can be adapted is Starchoice "Shaw" does it with the 921. Their datastream is just like HITS. I think it would take Motorola to have to do a rewrite of the software and load it to the 922 in a update download. Since Motorola don't see green for doing this they say screw it.

Looks like it's time to really step up the work on getting the 4play to work since we will have to write and add our own channel maps so we can get those FP and ZK signals hidden if we somehow loose generic maps access through master reset or whatever.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 4play and installed it in my computer, in case we can use it (legally). The thing is, understanding how to use it and how it works. I noticed that what I have hasn't been tried with the 922. Plus finding the right cable to use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)