921 and dp34 switch question

shellbmb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
I've tried to search already, so please don't flame me. :)

Currently I have a DP500 dish, a DP34 switch, a 522, 301, and an 811. I'd like to replace my 301 with the 921. My question is this: should I just add another DP34 switch, or jump to a DP44 switch?

And is this something I have to pay for, or will Dish fork over the cash for the new switch? I am an existing customer at the end of my one year lease.

Or, I do qualify for CBS-HD. Could I call up Dish and have them point another SAT at 148 or 61.5 and therefore have to supply me with another switch?

Since your not leasing the 921, I don't think DISH will supply you a DP34 or DPP44 switch for free. Unless you have some must carry locals on one of the side wing sats, the purchase of the dish, switch and installation will all have to come on your dime. You usually only get free installation once, but sometimes if you buy your another receiver from DISH they will take care of the install, but since the 921 is only available from retailers, you'll have to see what they are willing to offer.

shellbmb said:
I've tried to search already, so please don't flame me. :)

Currently I have a DP500 dish, a DP34 switch, a 522, 301, and an 811. I'd like to replace my 301 with the 921. My question is this: should I just add another DP34 switch, or jump to a DP44 switch?

Or, I do qualify for CBS-HD. Could I call up Dish and have them point another SAT at 148 or 61.5 and therefore have to supply me with another switch?

If you want to add another cable, you can stay with the DB34 and add another DP34 switch. The 921 requires two cables.........or, a DPP44 switch and a separator if you don't want to run another cable.

DPP44 costs is around $200 and a DP34 is well under $100.

For the second part of your question, I don't believe they will install for free another dish pointing at 148 or 61.5. They did for me because there were must carry locals on 148, but now they are replacing the DP500 with a superdish which would mean you would still need another dish pointing at 148.

Next step is to call them and see what they will do.

If you're only using 2 birds (110/119), a fifth tuner can be added by hooking a DP21 to the DP34's cascade outputs. The 811 would have to be the box on the DP21 - because the 522 & 921 each have to have 'matching' inputs.

OR, if you replace the DP34 with a DPP44 and 2 DPP Separators, you can have a 522, 921, 811, 301, and STILL have the cascade outputs available.

SimpleSimon said:
If you're only using 2 birds (110/119), a fifth tuner can be added by hooking a DP21 to the DP34's cascade outputs.
SS,
I have a question for you about this:
I tried hooking up my 301 directly to one of the cascade outputs, didn't have a DP21 and only wanted to connect to the satellite that had the Sirius music channel for the garage. This worked in the garage, but when I came in later to use my main receivers, a 721 and a 921, both needed to do a check switch again before they would work. I don't know if this was a coincidence or if it was caused by my hookup of the 301 direct.
I disconnected the 301 and haven't tried this again.
Do you have any thoughts on this.
:rolleyes:

It should not be a problem. Dunno if it was coincidence, or if the hookup caused some confusion in the switch.

In any event, if the check switch worked for the 721 & 921 while the 301 was connected, you should be fine - no worries about damaging anything.

Thanks, Simon.
Since then I have added a DPP44 switch so no longer need to do it that way. I can't recall if I had unhooked the 301 prior to running the check switch on the x21s or not.