921 and Two cables

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

trido

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
Southern indiana
I assume the 921 with it's two tuners would have TWO cables run from the Switch?

If thats correct will the 921 work with ONLY one cable from switch if i only recorded the same channel box was on.

IOW not watch one show record another.

Leaving Insight cable thats the ONLY way their HD DVR box worked .

Not real thrilled about running two cable

thanks

Trido

Get a DPP44 switch and a Seperator then you only need one cable to the 921 (which then you use the seperator to split the 1 cable into 2 for bot inputs on the 921. :D

To answer your question directly, the 921 will NOT work without both tuners connected.

Yout can either run two cables (if you hand enough switch ports), for get a DPP44 (Dish-Pro-Plus) as Scott Said.

Be aware that not all coax cable will support the DPP44 (especially if it's an older Cable-TV cable). Look an the cable -> RG59 will NOT work.

It needs to be RG6 AND be capable of carrying 2 GHz (or 2000 Mhz). You generally see a marking like 2150 Mhz on such a cable.

Is there a difference between a DPP 44 and a Dish Pro Plus 44? The Dish Pro Plus descriptions I've seen say that the Plus is for Super Dish. I have a Dish Pro 500. What is a SW 44? And, where can I get the appropriate switch and separators?

GregH said:
Is there a difference between a DPP 44 and a Dish Pro Plus 44? The Dish Pro Plus descriptions I've seen say that the Plus is for Super Dish. I have a Dish Pro 500. What is a SW 44? And, where can I get the appropriate switch and separators?
No and no. SW44 is a Legacy 2-bird, 4 output switch. Try dishstore.net. ;)

I'm sorry to ask if its been asked before but I have done some searching and cant find the exact answer to this question which leads me to believe its not possible.
Can I use a switch 44 with two lines coming out of a switch 64?

I believe the DPP44 has to be connected to DP (dishpro) LNBF's. Also, all your receivers have to be DishPro ready. If not, you have to have a dishpro adapter.

You might get more information about the DPP44 in the tech support forum.

Yes, the DPP44 requires DishPro LNBFs. However, DP Adapters are not needed for the Legacy receivers - they are built into the DPP44.

Just for reference, DP Adapters ARE needed to attach a Legacy receiver to any other DP switch or LNBF - except the upcoming DPP Twin LNBF.

So I have a Dish 500 with the quad LNB, and I think the switch is internal. I have one spare line available from the LNB, but I'd rather not run another cable into the house. What are my options to get the 921 going? What splitters, combiners, switches, ...?

By definition, a Quad has an internal switch. If it's Legacy, the equivalent would be a SW44, if it's DishPro, a DP24.

Without the DPP44, you have NO options. The 921 MUST have 2 cables all the way from the Quad to the back of the box.

SimpleSimon said:
Without the DPP44, you have NO options. The 921 MUST have 2 cables all the way from the Quad to the back of the box.
Is the DPP44 compatible with the Quad switch? Looking at the cost of the DPP44 and the splitters, and the cascaded switches, maybe I'll just run the extra cable.

mdonnelly said:
Is the DPP44 compatible with the Quad switch? Looking at the cost of the DPP44 and the splitters, and the cascaded switches, maybe I'll just run the extra cable.
Yes, I have seen people cascade a DPP44 off a DP-Quad LNBF. You need to run 2 of the adjacent ports (either 1&2 or 3&4) of the Quad to inputs 1 and 2 of the DPP44.

Running the extra RG6 from your LNBF is the cheapest least complex method.

Jason

mdonnelly said:

Just to clarify Jason's answer.
The DPP44 is compatible with the DishPro Quad LNB
The DPP 44 is not compatible with the Legacy Quad LNB

richmert said:
I'm sorry to ask if its been asked before but I have done some searching and cant find the exact answer to this question which leads me to believe its not possible.
Can I use a switch 44 with two lines coming out of a switch 64?
The simple answer is "no".

The way your question is phrased, we're talking about Legacy switches (SW44 & SW64). The SW44, as the name implies requires 4 feeds (2 birds) and will drive 4 receivers. The SW64 adds to more inputs - giving you the 3rd bird.

Legacy switches always require 2 feeds per bird (satellite). One for odd transponders, one for even.

I have (1) 721; (3) 6000's; (1) 501; and would add a 921-for a total of (8) ports.

If I have (2) cascaded SW64's, Legacy Dual LNB's and a total of 8-ports, with my 501 and a 6000 as the "power" line to each SW64, can I add a 921 to any (2) other SW 64 ports?

2 DP34 switches?

Considering the cost of the DISHPro Plus 44 Switch + DISHPro PLUS Separator, wouldn't it be a far better/cheaper idea to put a DP34 switch outside and trunk it to another DP34 switch inside near the receivers?

DP34 switches are pretty cheap. Any reason this wouldn't work?

If it does work we can all save quite a bit of $$$$,

-Oliver

mkerdman said:
I have (1) 721; (3) 6000's; (1) 501; and would add a 921-for a total of (8) ports.

If I have (2) cascaded SW64's, Legacy Dual LNB's and a total of 8-ports, with my 501 and a 6000 as the "power" line to each SW64, can I add a 921 to any (2) other SW 64 ports?
Yes - use the same ports on the other SW64 that the 721 is using on the first one - just because I seem to remember some issues with splitting ports on the SW64.

Do me a favor and post back what ports your 721 is currently on.

WHY ARE YOU DOUBLE-POSTING - IN THE SAME FORUM NO LESS:mad:

SimpleSimon said:
Yes - use the same ports on the other SW64 that the 721 is using on the first one - just because I seem to remember some issues with splitting ports on the SW64.

Do me a favor and post back what ports your 721 is currently on.

It's been so long since I was up on the roof, I don't have a clue.

I have a four-dish E*/D* hybrid now, but, will need to reclaim the (2) D* cable drops to get 8 E* feeds lit up.

Attachments

• Four Dish View.jpg
    Four Dish View.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 141
ogomez said:
Considering the cost of the DISHPro Plus 44 Switch + DISHPro PLUS Separator, wouldn't it be a far better/cheaper idea to put a DP34 switch outside and trunk it to another DP34 switch inside near the receivers?

DP34 switches are pretty cheap. Any reason this wouldn't work?

If it does work we can all save quite a bit of $$$$,

-Oliver
Offhand, I don't see any advantage to that except in a couple of situations where saving a coax run is REALLY important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts