921 Component vs. DVI

LOL. Man, atleast get a DVI-D cable! Here is some info that may come in useful.

"Almost all Set Top Boxes use DVI-D and do not carry any analog signal. A DVI-D cable is all you will usually require, not DVI-I. HDTV capable Rear Projection HDTV's (RPTV's) have a maximum resolution of 1920x1080i @60Hz and should only require a single link cable, as do almost all DVI equipped displays."

A DVI connection can be one of three types - DVI-I, DVI-D or DVI-A.
DVI-I:
DVI-I contains both the digital and analog connections, (DVI-D + DVI-A) , it's essentially a combination of DVI-D and DVI-A cables within one cable.
DVI-D:
DVI-D (like DFP or P&D-D (EVC)) is a digital only connection. If both devices being connected support a Digital DVI connection (DVI-I or DVI-D compatible) and are compatible in resolutions, refresh rates and sync, using a DVI-D cable will ensure that you are using a digital connection rather than an analog connection, without playing around with settings to assure this.
DVI-A:
DVI-A is really rare. Why use a DVI connector when you can use a cheaper VGA connector? see DVI-I P&D-A (EVC) is more common with projectors, and you should go to your projector manufacturer for recommendations.
Dual Link: Dual T.D.M.S. (transition minimized differential signaling) "links". DVI can have up to two TMDS links. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second. Dual-link connections provide bandwidth for resolutions up to 2048 x 1536p.
Single Link: Single T.D.M.S. link. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second.

More info can be found here:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html#dvi-f

Here is my findings regarding the DVI-D single link cable that I installed last night.

I have the Dish 811 and Toshiba Cinema Series 57HDX82 RPTV.

Up to this point I had it hooked together with Component cables.

Installed the DVI-D cable and guess what, ZERO difference. I won't say worse and definitely not better but zero difference that I could see.

For a test, I had the little lady change what input she wanted by me leaving the room and coming back in and made me guess which input it was.

I was correct about 50% of the time, pretty much my odds!

I will save the cable just in case I need another input cable for a different source and use it on the 811 but for now, the 811 is still hooked up with component.

Save your money, don't buy a DVI-D cable for a RPTV. Maybe a LCD or plasma, but I saw ZERO difference on my RPTV.

Yes, both inputs were calibrated using AVIA.

GOOD LORD PEID! I just checked out your TV On the Toshiba site. You don't mess around do ya? That bad boy really cost around 9 grand? Heck, I almost cried shelling out 3k for my Sony GW!

IMO you will not see a big difference component/DVI on RPTVs. It must be a fixed pixel display(may be the wrong name): LCD, DLP or such. I will let you know when I get mine (maybe w/in 1 week). I have tried both a pacific cable and bettercables and I prefered the better cable. It was not a BIG difference but enough to be visible on my 103" screen from Dwin TV3 PJ. This was using the Denon 5900. I may not hook the 921 up (provided I get one) until after the superbowl. I will be getting some professional assistance and don't want any screw ups to get in the way of me watching my PATRIOTS STOMP.
FREAK!

ocaddict said:
GOOD LORD PEID! I just checked out your TV On the Toshiba site. You don't mess around do ya? That bad boy really cost around 9 grand? Heck, I almost cried shelling out 3k for my Sony GW!

no No NO!

Either their site is wrong or you looked up the wrong item.

My TV only retailed for about $3,000.

I got it for much less than that!

Just checked out the site, that $9K was for the LCD monitor.

Mine is a standard RPTV, still love it though.

Got any links peid? BTW, I believe picture quality differences are much more exaggerated when it comes to bigscreens and LCD's. Standard signals look less than average on mine, but HD Component looks absolutely INCREDIBLE! That's why I'm so anxious to see if there is much of a difference between hooking up through component and DVI-D. It won't surprise me if I can't tell a difference in quality when moving to the DVI output, but knowing my TV is capable of it and not using it really eats at me. My cable should be here tomorrow, hopefully for the weekend.

ocaddict said:
Got any links peid?

I am guessing you are talking about my TV right?

This is the link to the 50", which is the same as my 57" on smaller obviously.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=50hdx82

ocaddict said:
BTW, I believe picture quality differences are much more exaggerated when it comes to bigscreens and LCD's. Standard signals look less than average on mine, but HD Component looks absolutely INCREDIBLE! That's why I'm so anxious to see if there is much of a difference between hooking up through component and DVI-D. It won't surprise me if I can't tell a difference in quality when moving to the DVI output, but knowing my TV is capable of it and not using it really eats at me. My cable should be here tomorrow, hopefully for the weekend.

That is EXACTLY how I was too. HD Component looked incredible, and knowing I had DVI input it drove me nuts not to try it. So I did, and it didn't make any difference for me.

Please let me know if it does for you and if you did anything different to make it better.

I had to use the "Adjust" button the my 811's HDTV Setup guide and move the picture to the right about 45 clicks.

Cool bro. Thanks for the linky, was just curious of your TV. I just got my El-Cheapo Ebay DVI-D cable in today. It looks decent enough. I'll let you guys know if I detect any differences in pic quality. It's like CHRISTMAS! LOL

I am actually finding the SD material in HD mode looks worse. I may go back to component or do a kludge macro to go to SVideo for lower def. Disappointing.

Also, does anyone else have a left shift on DVI or a way to correct it?

Tim

I had a left shift on DVI.

On my 811 I went into the HDTV settings and ADJUST the picture.

I think it took about 45 clicks to get mine re-centered on DVI cable from component.

I could find the adjustment on the 811 but no can find on 921. I know I'm probably just not looking, but based on comparisons may disconnect DVI and just leave on component. The SD upconversion looks better on the 811 as well.

Tim

Not sure about you guys, but I got my DVI-D cable in last week and I honestly believe the picture looks better on my 50" Sony LCD. While actual picture quality and sharpness are almost identical to component, I seem to get richer and fuller color from the DVI connection. This goes for both HD and non-HD content. I'm also running the 811. What kind of DVI cables are you guys using?

ocaddict said:
What kind of DVI cables are you guys using?

I got the DVI-D Single link calbe from Pacific Custom Cable.

It was cheap, but didn't want to spend $150 for the Monster Cable that I need regarding length.

I saw zero difference.

peid said:
ocaddict said:

It was cheap, but didn't want to spend $150 for the Monster Cable that I need regarding length.

I saw zero difference.

Ok, next question. How much did you spend on your component cables and what type are they? How far is your receiver from your TV?

ocaddict said:
peid said:
ocaddict said:

I saw zero difference.

Ok, next question. How much did you spend on your component cables and what type are they? How far is your receiver from your TV?

I am using the component cables that came with the 811.

I thought about buying better ones but why fix what ain't broke?

Forgot to answer the last part of your question.

I bought a 4 meter DVI cable and like I said, I am using the standard component with the 811 and my RPTV.

They are right next to each other but have them in an audio rack and along the baseboard.

So approximately 12 feet between the two devices.

Ahh ok. That's not too far then, but yeah, a 4 or 5m DVI cable will run you a few more $ than a 1 or 2 meter.
I'm actually surprised at the high quality of component cables that came with the 811. I was pretty impressed.
Basically what I'm getting at, is that it seems peeps are using cheap crappy DVI cables while comparing the picture to component out where they have high quality cables. Now I know the Monster DVI cables are insanely expensive but still, I wouldn't trust my HD DVI picture to a standard PC DVI monitor cable, I just don't think they are built to reproduce the high quality picture seen on HD TV's. Even though I got a fairly cheap ($15 or so) DVI-D Dual Link Cable on ebay, it still seems to give me a decent picture, although I plan to get a good one here in the near future. Here is the cable I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...y=32837&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&rd=1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)