921 Died for several hours

bigtimber

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 3, 2003
big timber
On Saturday morning when I first turned on my 921 receiver, I was unable to get any signal on my HD monitor. Was able to get sound only on my surround sound receiver. After over an hour on the phone with Dish advanced tech support, I was still unable to get any signal. All tech support suggested was that I move my 508 receiver to replace my 921 (not something that I was looking forward to) to check out my tv. I decided to hold off on this and tried my 921 a few hours later. This time I was able to do a switch test and it shows that there is no switch - unknown (I have a dp 44 switch with 4 satellites). Shortly after this, I started to get the 119 location and the other 3 came on in the following half hour. All works ok today.

My question is this. Do I have a defective DP44 switch or is this just quirk, and should not happen again? Should I ask Dish for a replacement DP44 switch?

I *doubt* that it was/is the switch.

You stated that the first attempt to turn it on, you got a black screen(No video signal out) but you were able to get sound.(So you were getting signal IN from the swtch at this point)

If the switch was bad, you would have gotten no picture and no sound.

Either it just got cornfuzzled or there is a problem somewhere in the TV out of the 921 or your TV connection as Tech suggested. You just have to track it down on step at a time and eliminate outside causes first.

My 921 is quirky when it comes to switch tests. The best way is to pull the plug, disconnect it the inputs from the 921. Switch test, then reconnect it and switch test it again.

I've had it give me anything from Feed-Feed-Dual to Quad-Feed-Dual and even missing 119 or misconfigured switch matrix. All without touching any cables.

If all is well now, then count your blessings and get anything you have DVR'd either watched or moved to tape/other media.

Then just count the days between now and April 1.:D

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts