921 DVI-I output to HDMI

bigtimber

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 3, 2003
big timber
I need help in connecting DVI-I output on my 921 receiver into a HDMI input on a Mitsubishi DLP. I have purchased a high quality cable and have verified that it works ok, along with my HDMI input on the DLP working ok. I also am on my second 921 receiver-with same results. My component connections work fine. I am aware that the Dish 921 specifies that you use a DVI-I cable into my HDMI input. However, I must use the DVI-D connector as DVI-I is not compatable with HDMI and no connectors are manufactured because of this. I also disconnect my component prior to selecting my HDMI. Can anyone help me through this. Maybe someone has worked through this problem.

What sort of problems are you running into?

No picture?
No audio?
Both?

You should have a DVI to HDMI conversion cord.
No audio will come through it, you still need either optical or composite audio hooked up.
You need to have the receiver set on 1080i to output through DVI.
So I would think if you have everything hooked up there might be a setting on the TV to mess with.

I am not getting any video into the monitor-just a blue screen. Using optical for the audio and 1080i on the 921. All settings are ok on the DLP being set on the HDMI input. I have also had a Mitsubishi repairman in-to no avail. It appears that the main problem is that the 921 requires a DVI-I connection cable and that is not compatable with HDMI as the DVI-I passes both digital and analog to HDMI which only accepts digital.

DVI-I sends DVI-D plus analog RGB? on the extra pins around the X. No sound is sent on DVI. Use a DVI-D cable in the DVI-I socket and an adapter or a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Don't waste money on Monster.

HDMI input expects sound on its cable but without, as in an adapter, you will get it some other way as in "optical for the audio."

Do you have the yellow light on the front for SD-only video? It should be blue.
-Ken

Good points from KKlare. Don't worry about DVI-I, the I part is the extra RGB analog signal you can get if you have an adapter cable. So ignore "-I" and consider it a DVI-D.

To switch from the yellow light (SD output) to blue light (HD output) press the SD/HD button on the remote or the Output button on the front panel.

Believe me, I have checked all these things out.

I have been using the DVI-D cable with HDMI connection without any luck. I also have made sure that the blue light is on and have checked that I had the correct input on the DLP. I have a second 921 receiver and the Mitsubishi repairman put in all new "guts" on the DLP monitor that was new in December. All this to no avail. I also took the connector cable along with the 921 receiver to my dealer and it worked fine. Dish tech people have really worked hard with me on this, and this is where they stated that I need the DVI-I connection. I am really frustrated on this and feel that I might just ride this receiver out until they come out with the MPEG-4 receivers. This component cables still put out a great HD picture.

Then again, I feel that if I pay $550 for a new receiver, I should be able to use all the features. When Dish replaced the first receiver, I suggested that I pay the difference and get the 942 (with HDMI connections) and they were unwilling to do so. This after being a Dish customer for several years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)