921 From Dish

tunagimp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2004
This may be old news to some. But I just got off the telephone with E* to authorize my new 921 and I am informed that effective today (11/23), E* will be selling the 921 directly to existing customers.

The price (which everywhere else is falling) will be $549. But this will include free installation. E* ships the receiver and arranges installation. So, if you need a new Quad LNB or something (I got my Quad free with my 721 E* install), this may be for you.

Yes this is true. (Although contacts at Dish are telling me switches are not included) the 921 is also available starting today at Costco.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes this is true. (Although contacts at Dish are telling me switches are not included) the 921 is also available starting today at Costco.

I don't think they were to be included in my 721 installation either, but I whined and won.

Wow! Costco! If you ever, repeat ever want the clearest possible indicator that am Item is about to be discontinued, closed out, reduced for quick sale, etc., look to Costco. It wasn't always like that, however.

They didn't talk about it in the chat.

I walked into costco tonight and it wasn't there, so either it didn't get there or they won't have it.

Also they were showing a weird HD demo, they used to show random Dish HD channels on a single TV but now they have this HD thing on all but 1 TV, the sole TV having a dish 508 hooked to it. But I think the HD wasn't actually HD but rather a DVD that talked about HD offerings from INHD and talked about the upcoming Outdoor channel 2-HD coming in 2005.

Well all the language they've been using say's get them before they run out. this also appiles for the 40 and 34 TVs, so that leads me to believe that they are going, going, gone.

Perhaps, but I think the 942 is still 3-6 months away. Perhaps more if they decide to redesign for mpeg4. If they run out, it's hard to imagine Dish going more then a month or two without an HD-DVR to sell.

I ordered the 921 and 34" HDTV package directly from Dish yesterday. They are giving me free installation and any switches I need. I confirmed the free switch with a manager who notated it on my account. I did not want the installer to try and charge me extra.

Ordered my 921 yesterday from Dish.. No free DP44+. They claim they can use a cascaded DP34 even if I have already 4 receivers. They also said no need to upgrade to Dishpro LNBs (I still have the legacy ones). Apparently they include a "professional" installation but don't do what you want. With the DP34 I will have an extra cable and this will be a real pain to run. I would rather have the DP44+ and use the separators to have a clean install but couldn't convince any CSR or tech support .

Dish will mail the 921 to me since they say the van doesn't carry 921s.

slimoli said:

The 921's are too big for the vans. Or conversely, the vans are too small for the 921. :D

slimoli said:
Ordered my 921 yesterday from Dish.. No free DP44+. They claim they can use a cascaded DP34 even if I have already 4 receivers. They also said no need to upgrade to Dishpro LNBs (I still have the legacy ones). Apparently they include a "professional" installation but don't do what you want. With the DP34 I will have an extra cable and this will be a real pain to run. I would rather have the DP44+ and use the separators to have a clean install but couldn't convince any CSR or tech support .

Well, you got one of the many idiot CSRs. DPxx switches will NOT, no way, no how, work with Legacy LNBFs.

Among other things, the standard DP voltage forces a Legacy LNBF into sending the even numbered transponders, but they are in the low band (950-1450MHz) which is where the odd transponders are in a DishPro system.

I know. Thta's why they insisted to give me the DP34 instead. They don't want to change my LNBs (2 dishes) and give me the DP44+. They ofered the DP44+ if I pay 120 bucks but I will wait for the van next week and talk to the installer. I really want the DP44+ because I plan to upgrade my 3 other receivers and a single cable run is a must.

slimoli said:
Ordered my 921 yesterday from Dish.. No free DP44+. They claim they can use a cascaded DP34 even if I have already 4 receivers. They also said no need to upgrade to Dishpro LNBs (I still have the legacy ones).

You sure you currently have a DP34 switch and Legacy LNB. I don't think that's possible. Or, maybe I misunderstand. What are they going to cascade the DP34 from? I pretty sure you can't mix Legacy and Pro switches. You might want to make a few more phone call to avoid a 2nd trip.

Either way, including installation is a good deal. Figure $75 for the switch, plus another $100 for a couple of hours of installer time.

It's really their problem. I don't think there's a lot of DPP44's floating around on installer trucks.

Well since installation and switches was included, I took the jump. The plan is to place it downstairs where my 811 is and that will require adding another output. I currently have a Dish 500 and a regular Dish. I have a SW64. What do you think the guy will do? Is there something I should suggest to him?

I do plan on adding either a 942 or another 921 if the first one works out. I should have all the necessary cables.

Hopefully the upcoming update will make it to the boxes before mine is installed. I am scheduled for December 11th Install.

I have my 811 hooked up through DVI. Do they use the same cable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts