921 GPL software?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is a question...

When the 721 first came out there was a lot of flack about the 721 software as it used a lot of GPL code. Because of this Dish Network placed the GPL code online as required by the GPL license. (It was kind of neat you could actually download the GPL code for the 921 from Dish Network, and what made it really neat was you were downloading the code from a real 721 that was setup as a webserver.)

Anyways the 921 has come out which is based on the 721 and uses the same GPL code however there has been no sign of the 921 GPL code (and for that matter the 721 GPL software is also no longer available.)

Shouldn't the GPL software be available for the 921 like it was (and should be) for the 721?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Shouldn't the GPL software be available for the 921 like it was (and should be) for the 721?
Yes, it just has to be made available to whomever wants it. Doesn't necessarily have to be available for download, just some means has to be there for you to acquire it in a timely manner.

GaryPen said:
The next question would then be...How does one acquire the code to the 721 and 921?
Uh.... Hook up your 721/921 to a dish pointed at 119?

Oh, you want the SOURCE code...

Honestly I can't figure out why Dish would build it with Linux instead of one of the BSDs.... NetBSD runs on everything.. and I'm sure they could port whatever software they have written for Linux to NetBSD.

Maybe that's why you don't see links for 921.. maybe the software guys got smart and switched to an OS that isn't run by hordes of guys with GPL on the brain. I'm not anti-GPL, but it's not the best choice of licenses for a business if they really want to keep their secret sauce secret.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts