921 Owners Unite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Well, now that Dish has bilked us out of the money we paid for this unit, now they are no longer going to service it. We have lost the program guide (except for 2 days worth) and it will not be fixed until June (if then). Also, for the past few days, SD is squeezed and rebooting does not help (anyone have a solution?). This only adds insult to injury with the constant problems the 921 has had; stuck aspect ratio's, timers not firing or firing on the wrong day; etc., etc., etc.

But wait.....we have an option......trade it in in April for $99 for the 622 and pay more for the programming, AND we get to pay a lease fee. Oh wait...one more option, we can not trade it in, pay $299 and pay a monthly access fee and also more for programming. Oh, or we could just tell them to shove it and go somewhere else. Dish is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to us losers.

Perhaps we could start a email petition drive or anything instead of taking it up the a**! Any ideas anyone?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only idea I have is switch to D* when my contract is up (a month). They really are prying at people nerves.

The launch of d*'s "lease only" is not promising. If you signed up today, you'll get to lease a HD Tivo for $499. Not a good idea.

ABOUT MOVING TO DIRECTV:

Been there.....done that. It is actually worse.Talk about nickel and dime games with programming. I have been with Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, VOOM and now DISH. At least DISH has more HDTV than all the others. When you call a CSR and get one answer.....call back until you get a friendly voice. It happened to me. I would rank the services mentioned above in the following order.

1. VOOM (the now defunct VOOM,not son of VOOM on DISH.)
2. DISH
3. TIME/WARNER CABLE
4. OTA only
5. DIRECTV

Companies like Verizon are slowly sneaking in with their own HD offers and the offers are very good. Non compressed HD with reasonable prices. I know the drawbacks with the current HD receivers but it's just a matter of time before they come up with a even better one. I really have to agree with Koko, I paid $1,000 for my 921 and I also have a 942 which I lease. I most likely will lease the 622 and trade-in my 921. but have to decide on the 18 month contract, it's a very long commitment in light of what is coming down the road.

Will have to look into local cable then b/c 18 months is a lifetime with this company. The things they pull, especially to nickle and dime the customer. Not convinced they are the cheapest, maybe on single box accounts but when you add up all the add'tl box fees and dvrs, they surpass others in my area by a good margin.

kokomogator said:
Well, now that Dish has bilked us out of the money we paid for this unit, now they are no longer going to service it. We have lost the program guide (except for 2 days worth) and it will not be fixed until June (if then). Also, for the past few days, SD is squeezed and rebooting does not help (anyone have a solution?). This only adds insult to injury with the constant problems the 921 has had; stuck aspect ratio's, timers not firing or firing on the wrong day; etc., etc., etc.

But wait.....we have an option......trade it in in April for $99 for the 622 and pay more for the programming, AND we get to pay a lease fee. Oh wait...one more option, we can not trade it in, pay $299 and pay a monthly access fee and also more for programming. Oh, or we could just tell them to shove it and go somewhere else. Dish is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to us losers.

Perhaps we could start a email petition drive or anything instead of taking it up the a**! Any ideas anyone?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

After receiving a call from the "executive office" which gave me all the wrong (no doubt correct...but imho, wrong) answers...this 921, 811, 721, 501 owner/subscriber has had cable installed. Unless something earth-shattering happens with Dish in the next week or so, it's bye-bye after being with Dish since the beginning. :(

jcord51 said:
I paid $1,000 for my 921 and I also have a 942 which I lease. I most likely will lease the 622 and trade-in my 921. but have to decide on the 18 month contract, it's a very long commitment in light of what is coming down the road.

they still make you commit to a 18 month contract? even though we are existing customers, owners of the worst receiver dish has ever produced?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF that!:mad:

I remember when I paid $1000 for their dvhs receiver and 6 years later I sold it for $300 and got some use out of it : TROUBLE FREE USE!
now I pay $1000 for a bug riddled junk that I'll have to give back, pay $99 to get another receiver and then have to promise to be a paying customer for 18 more months just so I can help dish remove this P.O.S. from circulation?:mad:

so in all actuality we are paying $1099 for the 622.

kokomogator said:

What you are going through is exactly why I left E* after almost ten years. I went through it also and after three calls to people that could care less, I dumped E*. I have D* now and absolutely love it. But of course, you know what they say about opinions!:)

E* is ramming it home to its customers. Try watching OTA HD with E* and no HD subscription---Nope can't do it without paying the new, just because we can, HD fee to Charlie.

D* may not be any better to some, but I haven't suffered any difference in PQ. In fact, I think it is better. The DVR fee is for the entire house and you pay a lease fee for every receiver after the first one. The dish is much smaller than E*'s monster SuperDish. I even had the install done two days after I ordered on the web site. Try that with E*.

If you have no other option and you want to watch TV, then DBS only has two providers. I thought about the switch and researched as much as possible for almost a month before finally doing it. The biggest reason I switched is the way E* has of doing business with their customers. You don't sell equipment at full price that you KNOW is going to be obsolete and you don't leave them holding the bag with new fees just because you can.

Tvlman said:
ABOUT MOVING TO DIRECTV:

Been there.....done that. It is actually worse.Talk about nickel and dime games with programming.

What nickel and dime games are you talking about???

kokomogator said:

I am actually surprised that no one has started a Class Action suit against E* regarding this, especially when after announcing the MPEG4 is years away in November Charlie Chat, selling 811s, 921 & 942 units AFTER the January Charlie Chat...knowing they could not recieve the new HD channels.

If I owned any HD unit that had been bought in the Nov 2005 to current day I would be talking to a law firm about this issue. Class Action suits are the only way to hit the big boys where it counts...and all benefit. Guaranteed you would be offered more than $25 for a 811 or 921!!!!

visiter555 said:
I am actually surprised that no one has started a Class Action suit against E* regarding this, especially when after announcing the MPEG4 is years away in November Charlie Chat, selling 811s, 921 & 942 units AFTER the January Charlie Chat...knowing they could not recieve the new HD channels.

If I owned any HD unit that had been bought in the Nov 2005 to current day I would be talking to a law firm about this issue. Class Action suits are the only way to hit the big boys where it counts...and all benefit. Guaranteed you would be offered more than $25 for a 811 or 921!!!!

Yea, I remember the 5 PPV coupons I got on the Dishplayer 7200 CLS. I'm not disputing that a CLS is warrented. Dish deserves it in many respects but you can't go into it expecting much back in return other than the satisfaction of hurting Dish in the pocketbook a little (for which they'll just raise their rates) and make some lawyers rich.

Did anyone ever sue E* over the 921 and Dishwire issue??? I know there was a lot of talk about doing it when E* pulled the plug on that advertised feature.

waltinvt said:
Yea, I remember the 5 PPV coupons I got on the Dishplayer 7200 CLS. I'm not disputing that a CLS is warrented. Dish deserves it in many respects but you can't go into it expecting much back in return other than the satisfaction of hurting Dish in the pocketbook a little (for which they'll just raise their rates) and make some lawyers rich.

I would at least feel a little vindicated other than being so damn frustrated!!!

I HATE this receiver and I have not even come close to recouping the cost of buying it......all I asked was for a lease option when I bought in Sept. but hell no, couldn't do that to help a customer.

Anyone having an issue with the SD aspect ratio? Only way to watch is stretched unless I want to see everything squished.....help before I drive to Colorado and deliver to Charlie personally (and I mean REALLY personally) :eek: :eek:

Okay, 921 owner here, and I do feel your pain. He should unite and express our disgust with the way they treat purchasers of their "flagship" unit. It gets quite tiresome to read the chronic problems the 921 has/had on these boards only to be told by Dish, "It's not that bad," or, "This is an isolated incident."

Isolated? That might be when you compare the problems those of us duped into buying a 921 to the rest of Dish's customers. The fact is, not many people are willing to shell out that kind of coin just to watch tv. I paid $525 a little less than a year ago, so I can't imagine the frustration those of you that bought the 921 at $999 feel! However, since buying my unit, I am on my third receiver. The first crapped out at around six months. The second lasted three days.

I finally asked about a refund to which they replied, "We will keep sending you units and honor the warranty." So then I asked, "So you keep replacing units until my warranty is up, and then what? This product has never worked as advertised, and you are refusing to support it." Their response was, "I am sure the new unit will work."

I really hate when they insult your intelligence saying, "Well is it plugged in? Are you sure it's connected properly?" The solutions of "Advanced Tech Support" usually end in, "Go ahead and reboot," or, "That's a known issue and we're working on it." As I have said on this forum and to Dish directly, with the birth of the 622 I think we are seeing the death of what up until now has been terrible support for the 921. But terrible support beats none at all.

To their credit, my 921 has performed adequately for the past month or so (knock on wood). Yes, the channel guide is frustrating, but I haven't had to reboot in weeks. It is pretty sad though when I am excited it hasn't crapped out in a couple weeks. My 510 that is running in the second room used to be our main receiver, and it has plugged along flawlessly for three years. That one was a freebie!

Bottom line, I would be interested in anything you guys can come up with. I only wish I had found this website sooner. If only Verizon FiOS was available here....

Bryan

rad said:
Did anyone ever sue E* over the 921 and Dishwire issue??? I know there was a lot of talk about doing it when E* pulled the plug on that advertised feature.
Unfortunately, no. :(

Last Ride said:
I haven't had to reboot in weeks.
That can only be because the nightly auto-reboots are working. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts