921 Picture Size question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

birkoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I have a 6000 and regular 4:3 HD TV,
and the non-HD channels are
reduced in size. Does the 921 also reduce
the size or are they full size, like the 721?

birkoff

I have the same problem with my 6000 and my 4:3 HD set (a Sony KV-32XBR400). In order to fit the 16:9 HDTV picture on the 4:3 screen the set vertically compresses the image into a 16:9 window (black bars above and below the picture). On my set this squeeze is always made when it receives a HD signal. The result is that when the 6000 is in HD mode and I switch to a SD channel I would see either a 16:9 picture with short, fat people or a 4:3 picture in a windowbox (black bars on all 4 sides of the picture.

The only solution I could find to this is to switch the 6000 into SD mode and change the TV to the video input I connected the 6000's SD output to.

I would have the same issue if I hooked up my 921 to this TV. The problem lies in the way the TV works and is not related to the receiver.

Kent,
That's my problem too, its a Sony KV-36XBR450.
But why is it the 721 picture on SD full size and
actually very good? Why would the 921 be like
the 6000 when it comes to SD?

birkoff

Dish Network HD receivers have two categories of outputs. HD outputs (Component and either DVI or VGA depending on model) and SD outputs (S-Video, Composite and RF). The HD output can only send a HD signal, SD video to be must be upconverted into a HD signal to be sent on the HD outputs. The SD output can only send a SD signal, HD video to be must be downconverted into a SD signal to be sent on the SD outputs.

When you use the HD outputs to view SD channels on your TV you will get the windowboxed picture. If you switch to the SD outputs (don't forget to switch to SD mode) to view SD channels they will fill your screen just like the 721 does.

Kent,
I played around with it and viola I have a big picture,
though I think the quality is a tad off compared to
the 921. Funny, the installer a year and a half said,
"nope your stuck with the smaller picture with the
6000", but he hadn't done many of them.

Thanks for your help.

birkoff

What's the sense in hooking up a 921 to an antiquated CRT non-widescreen TV? Your best bet is to get a good TV first, then move to a 921. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense. You woulnd't put a 4cyclinder engine in your new Ferrari would you? :D

LOL. Antiquated, hehe. You do know your TV is rear projection right?

The Sony HD Wega CRT XBR is a GREAT set. Compare your picture to his - especially the blacks and decide which is 'antiquated'. Can your set do 1080i in NATIVE rate? Nope. Neither can my 50 inch plasma. Not to knock your Grand Wega, but it has its own serious limitations.

I also would not like to make fun of a guy's Porsche, thinking I am driving a Ferrari when I actually drive a Citation. :D

ocaddict said:
What's the sense in hooking up a 921 to an antiquated CRT non-widescreen TV? Your best bet is to get a good TV first, then move to a 921. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense. You woulnd't put a 4cyclinder engine in your new Ferrari would you? :D

birkoff said:
I have a 6000 and regular 4:3 HD TV,
and the non-HD channels are
reduced in size. Does the 921 also reduce
the size or are they full size, like the 721?

birkoff
Yes, it will make a difference. Regular TV is what 5:4 ratio? Ok The 1080i nd 720p work with the 4:3 ratio as well as the 16:9 ratio. If you use the 1080i it makes the picture bigger but the standard broadcast picture are going to be smaller. The standard picture is not as small in the 720p format and would be the same size in the 480p. Higher res. means smaller pixels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts