921 problem

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
YES, I'm still using a 921 HD DVR because I paid $1000 for it and want to get my moneys worth. Besides, I OWN it.

Anyway, I have a serious problem and wondered if anyone has had the same thing. (probably I'm the only person still using the 921)

When I set the recorder to record a show, at the end of that show, the recorder WILL NOT turn off. I got up the other day and had a show of 1260 minutes recorded. It recorded all night. It has done it repeatedly since then and it wiped out all my older recorded stuff when it ran out of space. The big problem is it ALSO will not stop recording with the controls. I have to pull out the smart card and reboot it.

Any comments (other than get a new receiver)?

Thanks

I still use a 921 and haven't had this problem in quite sometime. It seemed to do this on occasion when I first got it, but it has been okay over the last few software upgrades. Does this happen on recordings set off of the guide or are you manually setting up timers?

DHP=Digital Home Protection Plan. You can add it to your account (if you don't already have it) for 5.99 and get them to switch out the receiver for a new 921. Then (once the receiver has been replaced), you can cancel it again.

The never ending recording problem started for me with L331. After a warm boot using the front power button and a never-ending wait for the guide to repopulate, my 921 is back to normal. I have had this 921 since Nov. of 2004. It is only after updates that I ever have trouble.

I don't have the DHP but about 1 1/2 years ago I lost the hard drive on my 921 and they sent me a new one immediately.

I talked to DISH tech yesterday and she was very interested in WHEN this problem started. She said the Never Ending Recording is a KNOWN problem and the software guys are working on it. Guess we'll see.

But she did tell me how to stop the recording without rebooting. Go to SYSTEM, then POINT DISH. It will tell you you have a recording going and do you want to cancel it. Say YES then just go back.
I was going to try it this AM as I recorded CSI last night and figured it would still be recording this AM but it had stopped properly - go figure.

I don't have the DHP but about 1 1/2 years ago I lost the hard drive on my 921 and they sent me a new one immediately.

I talked to DISH tech yesterday and she was very interested in WHEN this problem started. She said the Never Ending Recording is a KNOWN problem and the software guys are working on it. Guess we'll see.

But she did tell me how to stop the recording without rebooting. Go to SYSTEM, then POINT DISH. It will tell you you have a recording going and do you want to cancel it. Say YES then just go back.
I was going to try it this AM as I recorded CSI last night and figured it would still be recording this AM but it had stopped properly - go figure.

I got the same problem in my DVR 921. It happened when the new software was downloaded L331. I'm still rebooting every one or two days. I can't even stop the recording manually. I'm sure they know the problem. :(

I am having this problem also with one added twist, the screen goes black and I have to re boot sometimes 2 or 3 time a day. Called tech support today but they don't want to change it out they want me to prove it is the 921 first......

I also have black screen problem, except for the near the edges, the whole screen is black. Another problem, if I go into the EPG and I just browse using the right key the 921 gets really, really slow. It might take a couple of minutes to change a channel. After I do a reboot, sometimes my 9 day guide won't download. They really screwed this thing up with the latest update. I have to reboot a few times a day too.

I have just figured out to go to the menu when the screen goes black and put in 62 it goes to the point dish screen, it seems to switch something and you can then cancel out the the picture will be back.....

To end problems with the 921, just upgrade, then you can have a whole new set of problems.:D Seriously, the new 622 is very good, small issues but nothing one cannot live with.

Been out of town and came back to see a new solfware download and I still have the same problems..... Black screen, won't record, freezes up, slow changes, and I pay 100.00 bucks a month for this! Oh yea they think it's my TV... Not them!

Called today and they will now send me a different 921! lets see what I get this time.

Called today and they will now send me a different 921! lets see what I get this time.

I was in the same boat. After 3 921's, they gave up and sent me a 942 at no cost. This sounds goofy, but I'm in love with the 942, it's infinitely better than that POS 921.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts