921 Retail Price Drop - Now $349 or less

SimpleSimon said:
Yup.
After paying $1000 for the POS that NEVER worked right, and NEVER had half the PROMISED features, they BETTER upgrade me for no more than a shipping charge. :mad:
This whole thing reminds me of being in the Army.

We're all standing in line, dragging around a duffle bag (Mine has a 942 a 921 and a 721 in it). We think we know what's next, based upon what the guy further up in the line thinks.

All I know is, I've bought two new HD receivers in the last year. The most recent was one month ago. I based my purchase decision upon information received from Dish Network. I'm now being told (by an unimpeachable source at Dish Network) these receivers aren't going to receive my HD locals or any new HD programming (other than a continous loop of 4 Kung Fu and Samuari movies).

We're nearing an area of what seems deliberate fraud on the part of someone, gentlemen.

And if I (and I guess a few others) aren't upgraded (whatever that means) at a reasonable cost (like, nothing), Dish is going to discover another principle I discovered in the Army.

General Principles.

As in, I'm switching to D*, in spite of your more HD, just for General Principles.

Or, I'm taking you to small claims court, just for General Principles.

Last edited:
dfergie said:
I bit when they went to $549... mine has been rock solid...

I bought mine 2 years ago for Christmas for $549 and, baring the periodic format screw-ups and hard boots, I am very happy with the unit - especially the ability to record HD including OTA HD programs.

My only problem is that I can't keep on dumping out over $600 every couple of years to keep my system current - I'm still in the dog house for buying the 921. The last upgrade from my 721 to the 921 for $600 was voluntary so I could pick up the HD stations, but this change looks like it is being forced on me and it might be as much as $800! In addition I will need to install a Dish 1000 to pick up the LA local HD networks - cost unknown.

The change to Direct TV is looking better all the time, and they can install the system that can pick up the local HD networks NOW! I'm going to look at their DVR features to see if it is comparable to the 921 and if it is I will probably do it.

I think Dish better start a customer retention program ASAP or I will be one of the many customers to jump ship.

On February 9th, I will be watching the first NHRA race in Pomona on ESPN2HD. The question will be whether or not it will be on Dish or Direct. If my 921 is upgraded to a 622 for $99 or less by then it will be Dish, if not, it will be on Direct. I would certainly accept an olive branch from Dish by mitigating this short conversion to MPEG4 by broadcasting ESPN2HD and/or Universal HD in MPEG2 for a reasonable time period to allow the supply chain to match demand and provide loyal, existing Dish customers a reasonable upgrade path.

I had a feeling that the MPEG-2 HD was not going to last from the threads I have read within the past one to two years and there was not much HD content to boot for me to make it worthwhile spending that much on a receiver. Seeing that Dish was planning the launch of MPEG-4 I figured it would be a waste to invest my money into this MPEG-2 technology. With all of these MPEG-4 HD channels that are going to be launched it seems as if they plan on going at this longterm and that it would be a better longterm investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)