Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am receiving word that starting in Mid November you will be able to purchase a Dish Network 921 receiver at your local Costco wholesale club.

No word on what the cost will be, will it be the $999 suggested retail price or will be be a special price for Costco members?

Scott:

Up to now the 921 could only be bought from a dealer, who would normally be the installer. If we buy a 921 from Costco do you think we can schedule an installation calling Dish ? The reason of my question is because I will need a complete upgrade on my LNBs , switches and cables and I feel more confortable if the installer is a Dish van instead of my local satellite store which doesn't even know what a DP44+ is all about. Thanks.

When I originally signed up for Dish I purchased my equipment from Costco. I called Dish and informed them that I wanted to subscribe to their service and that I had purchased the equipment (DVR-501 and a Dish 500 kit which included a 301) from Costco. Dish handled everything from that point. I was given an install date and Dish set up the install with a local Dish contractor.

Costco used to sell equipment a long time ago, but since then they started doing Certificates only.

I doubt they will start selling 921's a matter of fact I would place bets that you will see 921's at Sears before you see them at Costco.

Besides that, you still got to pay Sales Tax at Costco, which still gives the advantage to some of the online retailers :)

But what are you going to watch and record on
your 921? Not enough HD content on dishnetwork
currently for me to buy one.

birkoff

birkoff said:
But what are you going to watch and record on
your 921? Not enough HD content on dishnetwork
currently for me to buy one.

birkoff
Yes, and keep in mind that the Over The Air features are still buggy and there is no OTA guide information. The unit is handicapped. The way it works now, it is worth not more than $300.

boy921, $300? Give the box some credit. It is a dual tuner, 180+ hour SD box. That in itself is worth a good $500 plus. Yes, not all of the OTA stuff has been worked out, but the cheapest OTA receiver is $299, and mine in the DFW area functions about as well as a regular OTA receiver (I tried 3 of them before my 921 was available for purchase)... except the 921 can trick-play on all channels (same my local NBC channel). In the end, the cost is reasonable when you look at it that way.

Its just like the bundle service offerings in telecom... when someone like Verizon comes out and says 'have everything for $100 a month' (or whatever the price is), people think Yikes! but if you look at the breakdown of $40 for the first line, $30 for dsl, $30 for unlimited LD and $30 for 300 cellphone minutes, you realize that you are starting to save money. (Note prices are nothing accurate and are just for a discussion point)

Guide data is on the 811 already and the 921 will be getting it next. Mark over at dbstalk is saying publicly that he is able to use his 921 as his primary receiver with the current batch of betas. Dish has been getting out a new release about every month, so hopefully we'll be getting what mark has been using soon.

No that would be Friday the 5th. (Just before the Tech Chat so they can be all happy and act like they fixed something) :D

I have two 921s and so far, have not experienced any problems for recording and other features. Sure, OTA EPGs are not there yet, but, that does not effect the viewing and recording. We all love and dream about a product could do everything and do excellent at the same time, but in reality, we make compromise all the time just about anything every day. Why do we have to be so critical in terms of 921? Just my 2 cents.

Why do we have to be so critical in terms of 921?

Why??

Because the 921 is a $999 unit which STILL (a year later) does not have all the functions and features advertised by Dish Network. Infact some features (such as Firewire) have been removed from the promised features list.

The 921 is a decent machine, but its not $999 good. (Not even close)

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 921 is a decent machine, but its not $999 good. (Not even close)
I agree completely. I'd also probably buy it again though. There's just no other choices right now for HD DVR, short of switching to D*.

exaclty, if you want to spend $999 for an HD-DVR switch to D* so you're paying for a product that's closer to the ticket price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)