922/722 with upcoming Sling Receiver 300

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Thor123

Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Midwest
Hi everyone,

Looking to start Dish service and want to try the whole TV anywhere thing. I'm debating between the 722+Sling or the 922. Now, I know that there have been lots of threads on 722 vs 922, but here's what I'm having trouble with:

In the video posted on this site from CES, the engineers at the Dish/Sling booths were talking about the Sling Receiver 300 coming soon. But I believe they said it would be for the 922 first, with 722 support coming in a later version*. The Sling Receiver sounds like exactly what I would want for my setup. I have an HD set that is used for everyday use, but downstairs I have an HD projector that the previous owner left. It would be great to have a Sling Receiver installed down there, so that I could watch whatever was on the DVR, only bigger.

Does anyone else know anything about 722 vs. 922 and Sling Receiver? It seems to me like a 722 + Sling --> Sling Receiver would be great. I would have the $100 difference (922 vs. 722+Sling) to put toward a Sling Receiver, and a reduced monthly bill as well. But the 922 interface does look decent, and the possibility of waiting for a new version of the Sling Receiver to support the 722 dampens things.

I'm completely new to this, so I would appreciate any comments.

*Not sure if they meant hardware version or software version. Could it be a simple firmware upgrade? And why would the 922 Sling be different than the Sling extender, anyway?

First, never believe anything heard at a CES booth - this is not Dish specific, just general good practice. Making either decision before the extender is actually shipping is a roll of the dice.

Anything at this point would just be conjecture, so I'll give my wild a** theory. I would put money (but not a lot) that the sling receiver will support the 722 at the time of release. If they really want to sell the thing they are limiting the market too much with just 922 support.

On the flip side, they could be looking at it as a catalyst for 922 sales and might leave it as 922 only for a while, but I wouldn't expect that.

If there is an issue with 722 support, I would think it would just be a software/firmware issue for the 722 and/or the extender. Both products have been in the pipeline for a loooonnnng time and I can't imagine they were so short sighted to only have 922 capability.

I have heard from a beta tester that the Sling Receiver is working with a 722k with Sling Adapter currently.

The Sling Receiver is going to be big in the future of DISH. When I played with it (and I played with it for about an hour) it worked really well.

I have heard from a beta tester that the Sling Receiver is working with a 722k with Sling Adapter currently.

The Sling Receiver is going to be big in the future of DISH. When I played with it (and I played with it for about an hour) it worked really well.

Glad to hear it worked well at your demo. I have wanted one from day one of its announcement a long time ago. My aunt wants one ASAP.

One question: will this work in Single Mode or does one have to be in Dual mode to Sling to the monitor. Thanks.

I'm worried about the menu system being radically different from Dish DVRs viewed directly. And also laggy as hell. Scott, you and I can handle these differences. But the WAF is going to be... What? Can I return my 612 and just use an Extender off my 722?

The 722 isn't going to change how the menus look on the Sling Extender. It looks like it's based of the 922's UI which is actually a nice thing as long as they keep things logical. When it was first shown off, someone else brought up the question of lag and Scott said the experience was pretty smooth. I too wondered why it has it's own UI. We'll it's probably to cut down on lag actually. Ever notice when you try to move around the menus using DRA that there's a lot of single clicking and waiting a second or so for the menu to catch up? Well doing it this way actually helps eliminate that lag. The Sling Receiver can just call up what's on your receiver and when you select Start, just request the program to begin directly. It would happen a lot quicker then you would think.

Ah, but were they running beta software on the 722 or was it the currently released software? Just because they have it working with beta software doesn't mean that it will be ready when the Sling 300 is announced. That being said, if they have it working (even in beta) that is a great sign!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts