922 Always Offline

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
9 out of 10 times when I logon I can't view programming from my 922. The website asks if I want to continue offline, so I can view the guide but that doesn't help me much. I have tried it while home, and I will go into the broadband setup screen and I get the 3 green OKs.

Called dish, they sent a new receiver and I get the same problem. Any ideas?

9 out of 10 times when I logon I can't view programming from my 922. The website asks if I want to continue offline, so I can view the guide but that doesn't help me much. I have tried it while home, and I will go into the broadband setup screen and I get the 3 green OKs.

Don't know this will help, but mine often shows as offline when I first access it, but then it ends up finding it. Or I sometimes close and immediately restart the Dish Remote App and then it finds it the second time

Dish's solution to this for everyone seems to be just sending the person a new receiver. This really shows they don't understand the problem.

I've noticed that connecting with the windows app or an iphone will usually allow the website to connect.

Dishdude said:

I have the same problem and I always have to do the reset with the red button on the box.

When it happens to me I use my iPhone to watch the 922 Slingbox and then disconnect... once I do this I reload DISH Remote Access and everything comes up fine.

I wish they would let us hardcode the IP address on the 922, that would make things a lot more stable and easier to troubleshoot.

Dish's solution to this for everyone seems to be just sending the person a new receiver. This really shows they don't understand the problem.

I've noticed that connecting with the windows app or an iphone will usually allow the website to connect.
I spoke with a CSR a while back about this issue. During the conversation I mentioned my problem connections were on dish7.sling.com and he stated that was the address the majority of folks he helped reported and said he would write it up. There was no offer of a new box and I did not expect one. Even before my 922 I had problems connecting to Dish Remote Access to schedule timers on both 622s.

A few days later I noticed I'm now on dish4.sling.com. I still have the problems but not as often as on dish7. Sometimes I log on and the 922 is the only box reported on line. Sometimes one of the 622s is. Sometimes all 3 are. Sometimes if I wait a few minutes one or the other will show up.

The big problem I think is that the Dish Remote Access resides on Sling servers but Sling CSRs won't talk to you. Dish CSRs say Sling set it up and they don't know anything about it. So here we set twiddling our thumbs, logging on with our smart phones or something else and no progress is made on this problem.

I wish they would let us hardcode the IP address on the 922, that would make things a lot more stable and easier to troubleshoot.
Would a hard coded IP on the 922 be of more use than a dedicated IP on your router? I've been thinking about assigning all my stuff it's own IP but with 3 dish boxes, 3 BD players, 6 computers, 2 wireless printers, an iPad, an iPod Touch and a smart phone that might take an old man a while. :p

I am on dish3.sling.com and it happens to me from time to time.

I just want to hard code my IP info in there so I know everything is setup correctly, and there is not an issue from the DHCP server such as an IP Address Conflict, or an address whos lease has expired and has not been correctly renewed.

I am on dish3.sling.com and it happens to me from time to time.

I just want to hard code my IP info in there so I know everything is setup correctly, and there is not an issue from the DHCP server such as an IP Address Conflict, or an address whos lease has expired and has not been correctly renewed.

then hard code it on your router. Set your DHCP server assignments based on MAC address. This way your 922 gets the same IP address every time.

then hard code it on your router. Set your DHCP server assignments based on MAC address. This way your 922 gets the same IP address every time.
My router has a bug that is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware... You can set it up and input the mac address and assign it an IP but for some reason it still just randomly assigns and IP...

My router has a bug that is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware... You can set it up and input the mac address and assign it an IP but for some reason it still just randomly assigns and IP...

I wouldn't count on a DHCP reservation as a solution, even when your router firmware is fixed. I have one for my 922, I've verified over time that the address is stable, and I still have flaky behavior.

My sense is that flaky DHCP addresses make solving the problem harder, but I'm not convinced that they are the problem itself.

Ultimately, I think it would be useful to know, from either Dish/Sling, or anyone who's willing to sniff the traffic, to establish exactly how the 922 is making itself visible - persistent IP connection, publishing the external IP address to a registry a la DynDNS, etc.

Strange I never have a problem with my 922 it always connect to dish remote. My sling player always works. Can it be a problem if you have more than one receiver?

You're assuming that all routers have that function. THEY DON'T.

Woah, if your router can't do that then why are you still using it?

Sounds to me like the issue is with your network or ISP if two different boxes are showing the same symptoms.

Edit: So it don't know if this will help any or not, but I checked the list of the most requested domains for my home network via OpenDNS and I have 300 or so requests for sparcs.slingmedia.com over a one week period. A quick Google search leads to a Slingmedia.com support forum thread saying that their slingbox sends requests to that site over port 80. Maybe your ISP or router is blocking requests from your home network over port 80?

Last edited:
When it happens to me I use my iPhone to watch the 922 Slingbox and then disconnect... once I do this I reload DISH Remote Access and everything comes up fine.

This works for me too. For some reason the Android app always lets me connect, and then I can get Dish Remote Access to work. The problem is, the whole reason for purchasing the 922 was so my brother could watch TV while traveling and he doesn't have a iPhone or Android.

Ultimately, I think it would be useful to know, from either Dish/Sling, or anyone who's willing to sniff the traffic, to establish exactly how the 922 is making itself visible - persistent IP connection, publishing the external IP address to a registry a la DynDNS, etc.

Send me your 922 and I'll gladly sniff the traffic! :D

Seriously, has anyone sniffed the heck out of the 922's traffic and performed an analysis?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)