922 and Google TV

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I'm looking at doing a SD to 922 upgrade. Is there any indication about whether the 922 will be the platform for the announced Dish+Google TV deal or does it seem like something completely different that will make me cry when I'm locked into a 24 month contract?

No it will not, this was asked on the last Charlie Chat and Charlie said that the Google TV box will do internet stuff better then the 922. :(

I just listened to the Charlie Chat excerpt. He seems a little ambiguous about how the GTV box interacts with the 922. He implies you plug it into the 922 (or other HD receiver). Is that right?

What is the big deal since you can plug the logitac google box into any cable or satellite receiver. I do believe that our DVR will be the google dvr thus ending the dispute suite TiVo.

What is the big deal since you can plug the logitac google box into any cable or satellite receiver. I do believe that our DVR will be the google dvr thus ending the dispute suite TiVo.

As litigious as Tivo is? Puh-lease...Google has pockets much deeper than Dish.

From the rumors I have heard from a rep I know at a certain company, the googletv is going to be a software upgrade through an I.P. push. No extra box. That was the original idea. From the way I understand it, google will be helping along in the revamping of the whole gui for all new recievers (vip series). So I am assuming the tivo deal will go away. DROID!! Oh yeah.

Last edited:
IF you wait a while you can pick up a google box at Best Buy that will go with any vip receiver . It doesn't necessarily have to be the 922. If you want tv 2 out for dual mode as well as single mode with pip, then stay with a 722k and save yourself some money and aggravation. The 922 is still not ready for prime time and lacks basic 722k features like external hard drive archiving . Plus the 922 has a $10.00 dvr/sling fee instead of the $6.00 dvr fee the other dual tuner dvrs have.

Thanks for the reply,

One other question I have not been able to find an answer for even though it seems like a lot of people would want to know....

How many devices can access recorded tv on the 922 at once?

I know if you access it you can only see what is either recording at the time on tv2 or recorded tv. but can my son log in from his computer and watch recorded tv while the wife is watching tv1 while I am on my droid watching recorded tv?

Will the google tv change the channels through the HDMI cable or will it require an IR blaster (yuck)

for those who didn't know
CEC
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a one-wire bidirectional serial bus that uses the industry-standard AV.link protocol to perform remote control functions. CEC wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional.[68] It was defined in HDMI Specification 1.0 and updated in HDMI 1.2, HDMI 1.2a, and HDMI 1.3a (which added timer and audio commands to the bus).[80][81][82][83] The feature is designed to allow the user to command and control multiple CEC-enabled boxes with one remote control and for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention.[81]

I don't think that more than one person can access tv2 using computer or phone or what ever. I have never tried to access more than the computer because I don't have a cell phone any longer.

MikeD-C05 said:
I don't think that more than one person can access tv2 using computer or phone or what ever. I have never tried to access more than the computer because I don't have a cell phone any longer.

You are correct. Only one connection is allowed.

From the rumors I have heard from a rep I know at a certain company, the googletv is going to be a software upgrade through an I.P. push. No extra box. That was the original idea. From the way I understand it, google will be helping along in the revamping of the whole gui for all new recievers (vip series). So I am assuming the tivo deal will go away. DROID!! Oh yeah.

Make it Android based!!! Android is our friend... DROID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)