Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonyajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
New Mexico
I'm new to this, but after I set G1, the book says to program the next bird to the West.

But I cannot move my west limit past the default of 5000

I did a master rest and tried again, same thing

I am Linear East and the actuator is mounted on the left side (as I stand behind it). The actuator arm is in the lowered position

Any suggestions to a hobbist?

I have gotten it to move before but nit now

well if its stickin out an inch and you are at G1 i dont see how it would be a linear/east set up. . .but you also said standin behind the dish the jack is on the left side, which is correct for a linear/east.

my dish is currently set up for a linear/east and for me to get G1 my jack will have to FULLY extended.

also the fact that you have to pass count 5000 should means that your dsh is set up for linear/west

what lenght jack are you usin? 18", 24" 36" etc. . .

about the limits with the 4dtv. . .i find that if you dont preset your limits set up that you get that problem so you may want to goto the limits option and set you east/west limits first.

did you set up you most south sat before or is this a dish that was already in use?

Last edited:
It's probably how it is installed initially.

I live west of the Mississippi

This is a new install by a rookie here.

All I did was to hook up the actuator (in the down position), moved the dish on the pole til I got G1 and DC light and programmed it.

Cannot find the right directions other than it says in the manual to program the next bird to the west of G1 which I think is G5

My thinking is (and I don't know) is that the dish (on the pole) should be moved to the farthest east position (AMC5) and begin working it there.

But there is a lot I don't know here, just trying to work a hobby.

Any advice I can provide is much appreciated, thanks

ok here is my advice for you. . .

west of mississippi usa so for starters you can set the dish as a linear/west (standin behind it with jack on right)

you should move your dish to the most south sat for your location and adjust ALL your angles there and set you north/south headin. . .you can fine tune later.
when you hav your most south with the best quality you can get goto the lowest sat you want or can get to on you west (your jack's inner tube should be goin into the outter at this time) and make small adjustments. . .i would start with turnin the entire mount on the pole this would be adjustin your north/south alignment.
keep goin from you lowest to your most south makin sure all is still good with the quality. . .once all thats finish i would head to G1 (i know in the book it says to find G1 first, but whats the sence in findin it if your dish is not track the c Belt as it should) have it sit on G1 till you see the numbers stop. . .

in your case i now program my eastern limit. . .then i would start programming all the sats either startin from the most south or from the lowest.

Thanks

One question, what do you mean by the most south position?
Sorry for the dumb ignorant question...

from what I can figure, in the west AMC8 (W8) and according to dishpointer.com is the farthest away

Thanks

One question, what do you mean by the most south position?
Sorry for the dumb ignorant question...

its not a dumb ignorant question! i was a newbie at one point. . .still am a bit too lol

your most southern satellite is the one which is hightest for your area. . .

eg: if i put 'new mexico' in dishpointer i would come up with Latitude 34 Longitude 105, takin your longitude of 105 i would look for the satellite closest to that 105 which would be in this case 105.8w Acts you would set your dish to this position usin the jack and do ALL your adjustments there

"remember this is only for an example"

from what I can figure, in the west AMC8 (W8) and according to dishpointer.com is the farthest away

not futherest away. . .lowest on the horizon.

what about NSS 9 @ 177w or intelsat 701 @ 180? this within your reach and you are in the footprint. . .unless you have a bunch of trees blockin your western view. . .its low.

Thanks we will try tomorrow am early

So to re-cap

Switch the jack to the right side, change the Dish Programming to Linear West

Rotate the dish (on the pole) to W5 and adjust, then go to G1 Correct?

I am at 106.6 L

105W is about what I figured based on what you were saying

If your at 106.6 than your true south should be 107.3W Anik F1, F1R.
But 105 will work because of all the tweaking you'll be doing. I would set
your 4dtv box to 150 or 151(hbo's) one is Vertical and the other Horizontal
on W5.

Thanks we will try tomorrow am early

So to re-cap

Switch the jack to the right side, change the Dish Programming to Linear West

Rotate the dish (on the pole) to W5 and adjust, then go to G1 Correct?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! lol

dont rotate it, as in spinning the entire polar mount on the pole. . .remove the jack from the dish start by removin the clamp bolt first and lettin the dish down easy, then remove the bolt at the end of the jack, flip the dish over the pole as if the jack where pushin it and reinstall the jack there, change the settings in the 4dtv.

any stored sat positions in the receiver you can now clear because you will end at all incorrect locations now. we starting from top again.

after you made the adjustments at either 105w or 107w (i believe the dish will be movin almost flat here so may not make any difference) then head to your lowest so you can fine tune your arc. . .goto 133w after you are happy with the arc, you will need to be back and forth (up and down) with the dish chk and rechkin and doin it all over again.

what type feed are you usin? LNB (s) etc
what size dish?
do you know if the LNB(s) are setup correctly?

Feed Horn is DMX741
Dish is 6 Ft (120mm)
Yes the LNB's are set up right according to the INstall Directions

Rmoved all satellites except for G1 now

When you say change the settings in 4DTV, can you please explain which ones
Thanks, sorry for the aggravation

Feed Horn is DMX741
Dish is 6 Ft (120mm)
Yes the LNB's are set up right according to the INstall Directions

Rmoved all satellites except for G1 now

When you say change the settings in 4DTV, can you please explain which ones
Thanks, sorry for the aggravation

yea, you are not gonna be able to remove that last fella. . .lol anyway. . .

the setting i mean is the linear/east to linear/west

no aggravation here buddy.

ask your questions, it the only way we learn.

I'm new to this, but after I set G1, the book says to program the next bird to the West.

But I cannot move my west limit past the default of 5000

I did a master rest and tried again, same thing

I am Linear East and the actuator is mounted on the left side (as I stand behind it). The actuator arm is in the lowered position

Any suggestions to a hobbist?

I have gotten it to move before but nit now

If the actuator is set up linear east I find it interesting that you can't move past 5000 unless you're using something like an 18" actuator and it's hitting the mechanical limit or the mechanical limit is improperly set. Since you live west of the Mississippi river, the actuator should be linear west (actuator extending to the right of the mount when you are facing the rear of the dish) and the dish should be pointing west of G1 and possibly west of AMC8 if installed correctly. Once your actuator problem is resolved then we can help you with alignment. Photos of your setup will help diagnose the problem.

Hmm, I guess where you place the actuator depends on which manual you read. I was just reviewing my DSR922 manual and it says that linear/east should be used when you live east of the Continental divide. :confused:

I've always used linear/west. It works OK that way but I probably should have changed to linear east when I moved from southwest Wyoming to Nebraska (opposite sides of the Continental divide)? I'll get things right one of these days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts