922 Program Guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Has anyone been having trouble getting the EPG on the Motorolas? Been off for about a week and I have tried every trick that I know to reload it. I am so desperate that I am thinking about calling Motorola. Damn, I hate to bother them and what's worse I might get somebody that has an idea about what's going on. :rolleyes:

Wish I could help but I lost the guide about two years ago from trees :( what is you quality on G1-3? did you try a unplug replug?

I hope that Starz will move the guide from G1 to G5 or G9 this would help many like myself who have issues with the lower birds.

I have a clear shot at everything from AMC 7 west to AMC 6 east, nothing but blue sky. I tried the unplug reload, which usually works and putting it on G1 3 and hitting the guide and leaving it on until it comes up, which usually works also. No results. I came across a web site once that told how to reload it, but I can't remember what it was. I guess I'll try it again when the hockey game is over. Thanks guys. :)

Jim are you sure you are still authorized for the guide? You can check on your receiver in the diagnostics screen. Do options 6-0-5. Diagnostics screen A should be the first thing that comes up. On the forth line down on the far right is the guide authorization. If it is a 1 you are authorized for the guide. If it is a 0 you will need to call your programming provider and have them reauthorize you for the guide.

scottn said:
Jim are you sure you are still authorized for the guide? You can check on your receiver in the diagnostics screen. Do options 6-0-5. Diagnostics screen A should be the first thing that comes up. On the forth line down on the far right is the guide authorization. If it is a 1 you are authorized for the guide. If it is a 0 you will need to call your programming provider and have them reauthorize you for the guide.

Thank you Scott, that one I didn't know.

Is the 922 on the far left and the 3 on the far right with nothing in between considered the first line? If it is, I have a 1 on the 4th line, if it isn't I have 00.

Please advise. Thanks.

The 922 is the first line. It sounds like you are still authorized for the guide. I assume you also have a good quality reading on G1 transponder 3. It seems like with the 922 you need at least a 30.

One other thing you might try is move your dish to G1 3. Then hit the guide button. while the guide screen is up hit options 6-0-5 use the left or right arrow on the remote to scroll to diagnostics screen F. Once there hit the info button. You should see a bunch of zeros come up on the screen. As the guide data downloads you will see start seeing numbers replacing the zeros on the diag F screen. At the top of the screen the first and second row of digits in the middle represent days of the week. It starts at Sunday and goes across and ends at Saturday. As the guide data loads these will change from zeros to numbers. Right now mine is showing 7 on Sunday and Monday and a 4 or Saturday. If you are gitting no guide data this will remain all zeros.

If you haven't already you might also want to check your TDT count. In diagnostics screen G the top line fifth group of numbers over from the left is the TDT count. It should be less that 1920. If it is you may need to do a master reset as the 4DTV's memory is full. My TDT is currently at 1701.

Good Luck.

Okay, all of the numbers on diag F were 0s and my TDT count is 1920, does it need to be reset and if it does, how do it do ? I asume you mean unplug it for about a minute then start it back up?

A master reset is done using the hidden menus of the 4DTV. The master reset basically puts the 4DTV back to factory defaults. You will lose all of your settings.

There are two ways you can approach it. You can record all of your current settings and input them after the master reset (sat locations etc.) Or you can start from scratch. If you initially set up your 922 using G0 and you want to copy down all your satellite positions and reinput them afterwards I would park the dish on G0. If you are going to start from scratch I would use G1 as a starting point as the guide is there now. To access the master reset press options 6-7-7-8. Option 7 on the diagnostics screens is reset to factory defaults.

The forum still won't let me post links but if you do a search on google for 4DTV master reset you will find more detailed info on how to do it.

You will need to do a reset, it is very easy to do, the 922 will find all sats for you if done proper, you will need to do this for the unit to funtion good, I do one once a year for the hell of it :)

tdti1 said:
You will need to do a reset, it is very easy to do, the 922 will find all sats for you if done proper, you will need to do this for the unit to funtion good, I do one once a year for the hell of it :)

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do this "reset?"

Go to G1 get the best quality you can get on the digital feeds,then press options 6-7-7-8 you will see a menu pop up and you will select to reset the unit, this will have G1 set at 5000.

Before you do the reset take notes of your dish settings so the easy sat locator will work, as in settings I mean your lnb's and you actuator setup.

After the reset punch in all your settings, then set you east and west limit, from there program atleast 3-5 satellites that are pretty far from each other and of course the only ones in the small list you will have, like T6, G5 and C3 ( to help you find these birds T6-8, G5-3 C3-7 W3-20 or 21? look to see where the Gene Scott before you reset I am not sure if its 20 or 21) and if you can W3 though I'm not sure if it will be there after the reset.

Then once again find G1 with channel 5 it should be 5000 anyway, set that sat and then go to channel 3 make sure the DC light comes on then turn the 4dtv off for 30 minutes.

Once you turn on the unit (after 30 minutes) go into the programming sat page and you should have the full screen, from there select sats and just press enter on where the 4dtv thinks the sat is, it should find all the birds for you though when it does I usally go to a digital feed and peek the quality to the max before I save. (keep in mind that the easy sat locator works great for AMC-7 (W7) to AMC-3 (W3) though after that is usally is a bit off)

Master reset should not take more than an hour this includes the half hour it takes to download the maps, make sure not to program A1 in the 4dtv or you will need to do all this again because the 4d will download both the USA and Canadian maps overflowing the tdt count.

Make sure you can see your dish if the limits in your arm are not set, because you may flop over or damage something when setting your limits on the 4d.

Also keep in mind that if the easy sat locator does not work you will sadly need to find all birds on your own and it will take a bit more time, though in about 7 years and 20 master resets the easy sat locator failed only twice and it was most probably an error in my arm settings.

And for the grand finale when all sats are set, go to G1-3 press guide let it load then select a movie on HBO and press info to get the full IPG with info.

Good Luck.

Diamond Jim said:
Getting ready to do it now. Will let you know how it comes out. Thanks a million for taking the time to type that up, I am going to make a print out of it, thanks again.

Jim

Hope it helps.

I'm reeeeally late to this thread but wanted to chime in.

My '922 ipg has been rock solid for months. Only runs out on the nights I fall asleep in front of the tv (and it doesn't get turned off :p )

I agree that your problem is probably your equipment.

Jerry,

I know what you mean. I like to listen to WCPE all night while I am getting my bueaty sleep, but when I do this the dish doesn't move and the guide doesn't get down loaded. Usually all I have to do is go to G1 3, hit guide and wait a few minutes and it comes on. When I got into the 8th or 9th day with no guide I figured something was wrong, that's when these guys came to the rescue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts