922 pros and cons

maryb@Dish Network said:
If you already have a ViP922 active on your account, then you are already paying the additional $4.00. There will not be a another increase to activate the Logitech Revue on your 722. Since you are already paying the $10.00 DVR Service fee you might as well take advantage of the full Google TV integration. If you have any problems with this at all, please PM me! Thanks!

Am I reading this correctly in that you are saying the that the 922's $10 DVR would also cover the cost of Revue integration on a compatible 722?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Am I reading this correctly in that you are saying the that the 922's $10 DVR would also cover the cost of Revue integration on a compatible 722?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No, my previous post was incorrect and I am unable to edit it. The DVR Integration Fee is $4.00 and it will be charged above the $10.00 monthly DVR fee. I just checked it on an account. I apologize about the misinformation.

this is ot: but in response to the current flow of thread

but you can just cancel it after you get hooked up.. (on the 722) although why you would want to is beyond me. if i had not had integration i would have not been able to watch the whole season of torchwood. i had downloaded them but for some reason they weren't showing on the receiver menu. went over to the Revue and there they were. ViVA La Integration!!

I don't see why you shouldn't switch the module over. As for the EHD, you are suppose to be able to move it between DVR receivers that are on your account.

I don't see why you shouldn't switch the module over. As for the EHD, you are suppose to be able to move it between DVR receivers that are on your account.

Not exactly. An EHD from a 211K for instance will not work on a VIP series DVR, unless you reformat, which of course loses all the recordings. So I understand those that want to know if their recordings will work on a 922....

Not exactly. An EHD from a 211K for instance will not work on a VIP series DVR, unless you reformat, which of course loses all the recordings. So I understand those that want to know if their recordings will work on a 922....
Actually I think the keyword/keyphrase there is "between DVR receivers" ... the 211k is *not* a DVR receiver. It can be made to record to an EHD .. but it is not out of box a DVR receiver ... the 722 ~ 922 recordings are *known* to work ... whether anyone has tried from other HD DVR receivers up/down the range would be something to know.. it would be nice if one of the folks with Dish IRT could test back at home base or tell us if they've had direct experience, or documentation says so.. etc..

The OTA / MT2 module from 722k to 922 is the same module. So if you didn't want to move your 722k somewhere else in your house to use with an OTA, then yes move it to the 922 if/when you get one.

Cool.
Just have to decide now if I want to exchange my 722k for a 922. Maybe Ill ask price first.
Personally ... after having read stories with problems people have had (fixed or not) and knowing that loss of recordings *could* happen, I would, by default, have an EHD ... I would move stuff over to it on a regular basis.. etc.. the simple fact that I would have an EHD regardless, means that *one* of the reasons to upgrade ... the larger internal hard drive ... is already made moot.

The next reason to upgrade was the Sling technology. Based on the fact that its fairly much the same with built in or via the USB adapter, that made the upgrade to a 922 less necessary ... and at the time people were being quoted 200 for the upgrade (free now for the 922 if you're a Grade A customer) .... but... at that time... for only 100 bucks you could get the sling adapter... and that other 100 that you'd spend on the upgrade to a 922 could pay for your EHD! ... And *now* they give you a 99 dollar rebate card after buying the sling adapter... so if they aren't giving you the 922 as a free upgrade.. then you're paying again .. well more.. than you already have.

Lastly ... the GUI ... I will admit.. it looks fan-f**king-tastic ... but you know what.. as great as it looks, it lacks some base functionality, and it still costs you 4 dollars more per month!

Base functionality.. *anytime* you go into the menus ... you end up cursoring more to get to items than with a comprable lesser receiver. The older units.. sure they have that ugly numbered down the left side menu/submenu system that doesn't make 100% sense .. but you know what.. once you learn part of it.. getting to the right spot is several button presses LESS than a comparable 922 .... Menu # # # ... is faster than menu - cursor, cursor, cursor, cursor, cursor, cursor, Enter, cursor, cursor, cursor, Enter, cursor, cursor, Enter.

And if you should call for tech support, the same is true.. a tech could look at their "menu screens" and see its Menu 8 1 6 ... and there's no mistaking pressing menu, then 8 then 1 then 6 ... as opposed to the tech ... "hit menu ... do you see 'preferences' ... cursor over to it" <tech pauses waiting for grandma to get to the right item> etc. etc. etc. I've BEEN in those positions.. I've BEEN asked over the phone.. what color cable is the <blank> ... to which I would reply "I'm sorry, but I don't know what color cable you have" "is it the gray or blue one" ... I'm over the phone mam... I can't see the color and shapes of the ends of the cables ...etc.. ... EG: the tech has to assume you're in the right spot and that the extra time the tech is waiting for you to find that correct menu item is time wasted on getting to help as many customers as possible in their shift..

There was one mention of 3d ... to which the 722k also does 3d .... its just that Dish doesn't (or hasn't) put up as much content for 3d as they have with 922 ...

And then dish's track record.. Blockbuster Movie Pass.. its available for the 722k ... but not the 922 .. why? because they didn't put proper time and research into development of the programming / feature set / bug fixing ... and so ... especially if you still have to pay for the "privilege" of getting a 922 .. why would you let the GUI being the only nicer thing left.. as your reason to spend the money, or further commit yourself to Dish?

I guess that's my over-all point.. everything that the 922 does the 722k can do, except make the Gui look pretty .... so I really just can not understand people that have this overwhelming love of that 922. Maybe they haven't had it happen to them .. maybe the really don't care or didn't care that they spent the money and pay more every month ... I guess that's their luxury of privilege (or money to burn).

I guess that's my over-all point.. everything that the 922 does the 722k can do, except make the Gui look pretty .... so I really just can not understand people that have this overwhelming love of that 922. Maybe they haven't had it happen to them .. maybe the really don't care or didn't care that they spent the money and pay more every month ... I guess that's their luxury of privilege (or money to burn).

Yep. And some people prefer Lexus to Chevy. Some folks prefer flip phones to iPhones. What's so different?

The 922 is a premium machine with premium features (although it's sad that Blockbuster streaming isn't available on day 1 for their flagship receiver, but life goes on). Choice is a great thing.

My experience with the 922 is that it's much more reliable than the 722K was. I had countless botched recordings with the K. I've had at most one or two with the 922. The 922 is also much more responsive, and has DLNA. It's cool to be able to watch Hulu, ESPN3, etc. on the big screen.

They are supposedly going to be free starting Oct. 1 for "A" customers...whoever they are.
"A" customers are most likely those who reconcile their account via auto pay, have NO late payments, subscribe to upper levels of programming( AT 200 or 250) and length of time as a customer. There may be other criteria.

Yep. And some people prefer Lexus to Chevy. Some folks prefer flip phones to iPhones. What's so different?
you can't compare Lexus to Chevy ... the only thing they have in common for their "types" is that they have 4 wheels. Just like you can't compare a Yugo to a Chevy .. Lexus and BMW? Lexus and Volvo? Lexus & Mercedes ... those have better comparison features... same between flip phones and Iphones ... compare Iphone to Android ... but not flip phone..

The 722k and the 922 share much more ability than the others...
As here:
In fact the insides of the 722k and 922 are almost the same. In fact out of the box new the 922 looks and acts like a 722k until it downloads the 922 software. ;)

The 922 is a premium machine with premium features (although it's sad that Blockbuster streaming isn't available on day 1 for their flagship receiver, but life goes on). Choice is a great thing.

My experience with the 922 is that it's much more reliable than the 722K was. I had countless botched recordings with the K. I've had at most one or two with the 922. The 922 is also much more responsive, and has DLNA. It's cool to be able to watch Hulu, ESPN3, etc. on the big screen.
I understand ... but DLNA is also there in the 722k .. windows sees it, otherwise DLNA wouldn't exist.
The other Apps .. I have to grant there has been more for the 922 ...

In keeping with a car anlogy consider this.. what if the main features of the unit ... were all a sham .. what if you opened the hood of your car, and found out what you'd though was a ferrari engine was really a yugo's ... what if you found out only because you opened it, because you never dared put it to the test and no one ever dared attempt to "race" you because they saw your ferrari exterior and the exhaust sounded right, etc..

This same thing happened to people running wireless routers that now run DD-WRT firmware ... turning their 50 dollar router into a machine capable of so much more ... which was the original Dish boxes running linux with open firmware dish posted ... etc..

I don't want to keep harping it.. I know that each unit has had failures.. etc.. but I think for me it comes down to .. that extra cost... The 722 ... not the k it seems was rife with heat issues, the 922 until recently (possibly the last firmware it had gotten) was having issues with putting too much content on the drive, thus causing people to loose everything ..

when its not a design flaw ... ie. a true "just failed" part its a forgiven .. the heat issue is not forgiven, the drive full issue is not forgiven.. beyond that ... the 722k has had issues for me with HDCP failure on required items, when my TV1 is turned off ... I get STB reboot .. and that isn't forgiven.. but within the rest... there seems to be no systemic failures (blown up every day, etc)

And to be honest for the longest time I've hated the 722k but have no other options (stb reboots, wasted hard drive space for *dish's reserve* the HDCP for all) I can't downgrade, I can't upgrade so with the best that they have for the money and ability.. that's the 722k game right now.

Can one find out if they are an A customer from the DIR-Team or do you have to contact a csr? If the 922 is less prone to failure from heat I would consider switching if I'm an A customer. I've gone through 2 722's this year. Once in Feb and again in July.

Can one find out if they are an A customer from the DIR-Team or do you have to contact a csr? If the 922 is less prone to failure from heat I would consider switching if I'm an A customer. I've gone through 2 722's this year. Once in Feb and again in July.

Arshad (ID:
BPQ): I am really sorry.

Arshad (ID: BPQ): We currently do not have that promotion available.

I understand the ViP922 can go into "IR mode." But can it be controlled by RF from the Harmony 900 or 1100? That might indicate if the XiP813 could be controlled similarly.

Just curious, I doubt I'll get one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)