922 Release Thought

bama350z

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
So, when this is introduced in June how hard is going to be to get one given the likely demand? Will it be easier to get one as a new customer, a current in contract customer, or a current out of contract customer? I have been anxious to trade the 622 in on one of these and I'm happy there is a date to look forward to but can I realistically expect to be able to pick one of these up as soon as they are available? Thoughts........

So, when this is introduced in June how hard is going to be to get one given the likely demand? Will it be easier to get one as a new customer, a current in contract customer, or a current out of contract customer? I have been anxious to trade the 622 in on one of these and I'm happy there is a date to look forward to but can I realistically expect to be able to pick one of these up as soon as they are available? Thoughts........

No. Not without paying close to MSRP.

Are you saying that the pitch to renew your two year commitment will be 10 dollars off a 922 or a 722 for 50 bucks? This isn't going to do much to keep 622 & 722 owners around.
The 922s will be VERY expensive. 622s and 722s will be the majority.

In the thread of the Charlie Chat recap, dfergie said that the price bandied about at the CES was about $900 for the 922. That really is expensive.

I thought when the 922 was first announced they said it would be $199 to upgrade to it? $900? are they insane?

The 921 was originally $1000. It later dropped to $500 while still relevant.

Now of course they are paper weights.

For 200 and the commit I might think about it but for 900 they can have it and I can explore other options....

For 200 and the commit I might think about it but for 900 they can have it and I can explore other options....
Right. The "near MSRP" and the retail being 900 bucks is pretty thin.

Now if "retail" is used like the plastic hanger commercial where they say "You get four space age hangers and the button sewer; a sixty dollar value, all for the amazing price of 9.95!!!" then, yep it's a 900 dollar value yours for the amazing low price of just 199 dollars with a new two year commitment.

922 same core as in 722k - BCM7400.

Readed all available FCC document [ID=DKNMC13213],
I found original name ( printed on face plate of the DVR tested at FCC ) - ViP822.
Also other technical detail - remote working in same 2.4 GHz range as WiFi, a disk: WD 1 TB.

Warning to early adopters - Have your children's papers all in order before you send them in for trade.

Seriously, as complicated as this new box sounds, I think I'll wait a year or so before I jump - still using a 622 and a 211.

dont mean to rain on any ones party but recever for upgrade / new account wont happen till july. as long as all goes to plan they might get them out midd june to buy but wont see them on any contract till july.. Curent 24DHA has no wording of 922 in it and is valid till june 30th.

But if you pick up a curent dish flyer / book it lists in the back that a $450 fee for non returned 922 and a $199 lease upgrade. so one culd speculate the price of $650 or lower..

Looks like a sweet box to me but got my HD pro sling off of fleebay for $145 shipped (used)

The TiVo HD XL DVR is $599 and only does half what the 922 will do BEFORE adding in Sling technology. Now, go add on a Sling HD box to the $599 and tell me what the price is.

$900 is a good price for this new device. If you listened to the CHarlie Chat, they said it would not be for everyone.

$199 lease price is practically stealing it.

If you can build a 4 HD tuner dvr with HD Sling for less than $900, please post your shopping list and instruction manual here and fill everyone in.

Adding capabilities to such a box is not expensive.

After the board and chips are engineered all the extras are easy (already built in).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)