922 vs. 722/Sling/Google TV

Which upgrade option is better for now and the future?

• Total voters
I was told there wasn't an extra fee for the 922, so maybe they got rid of it with the release of the sling adapter.

The extra fee is built in to the dvr fee : $6.00 + $4.00= $10.00 . So 922 subs get soaked for an extra $4.00 a month that 722/722k dvrs +sling adapters don't pay . So that extra $48.00 a year must be factored into the cost of the 922.

There are no positive thoughts about the 922. You get a pretty guide and a few more hours of dvr time.

A well built 722 will be cheaper and probably be more stable.

What do you like about the 922 vice a 722 with a sling?

Well I have a 622 right now, so I can't comment on either of them. I have an order in for the 922 to be installed next week but maybe I should switch it to a 722 w/Sling. If I did that I may go GoogleTV as well.

I was just thinking long term the 922 would be better, but it seems no one has much good to say about it. Does anyone know what the current issues with the 922 are? Does it constantly crash? Does the built-in Sling not work as well as the Sling Adapter?

Whole house DVR

I am in exactly the same situation (622 with no contract) and have the same question (922 vs 622/722).

I don't particularly want to switch providers but I really like the whole house DVR that D*TV offers. I was hoping the Sling Catcher in combination with 922 would have given me an equivalent solution. Now that the Sling Catcher has been dropped, I am very frustrated.

Why does DISH have to make it so difficult to stay a happy customer.

Well I have a 622 right now, so I can't comment on either of them. I have an order in for the 922 to be installed next week but maybe I should switch it to a 722 w/Sling. If I did that I may go GoogleTV as well.

I was just thinking long term the 922 would be better, but it seems no one has much good to say about it. Does anyone know what the current issues with the 922 are? Does it constantly crash? Does the built-in Sling not work as well as the Sling Adapter?

Some of the current issues with the 922.

1) Can not reliably record 3 - 4 shows at a time like you can with the 722k. Never know what show will crap out ,but doesn't always happen.

2) Sling is not reliable either . I would get, more times than not, failed communication link with your receiver messages all the time. When it did sling the pq on hd was not great . I even spent to upgrade my cable internet connection and bought a new expensive computer so I could eliminate any bandwidth or speed problems with the internet. So it was definitely the sling in the 922 that was crappy.

3) You pay an extra $4.00 a month to use the built in sling in the 922, or $48.00 more a year to be able to do the same thing with a sling adapter + the 722/722k receivers for FREE. Many here think that the sling adapter has better picture quality than the built in sling via the 922. Scott G. has commented on this himself.

4) The promised and even DISH announced sling extender(catcher) for the 922 for hd on tv 2 , has now been removed from the DISH site. Scott G. has said he thinks we will never see it make it to the market now in it's present incarnation.

5.) The web browser that was supposed to be built in to the 922 was removed and if you want it you have to buy a revue google box now, and it doesn't integrate with the 922 presently.

I am in exactly the same situation (622 with no contract) and have the same question (922 vs 622/722).

I don't particularly want to switch providers but I really like the whole house DVR that D*TV offers. I was hoping the Sling Catcher in combination with 922 would have given me an equivalent solution. Now that the Sling Catcher has been dropped, I am very frustrated.

Why does DISH have to make it so difficult to stay a happy customer.

I have learned from the 922 experience. About 6 or 7 years back I bought the $1000.00 921 pvr that was nothing more than a digital vcr . I had to baby sit that receiver daily and power reboot it to avoid screw ups while I was recording programming. After this failed and now bricked ,discontinued receiver, I waited till they came out with the 522 dvr with name based recording. I leased it for a few months till the 942 hd receiver came out and I jumped on that receiver. It was wonderful and feature filled box. I had two of them. Then the 622dvr , 722 dvr, 722k dvrs and all were based on the 522/942 dvrs with name based recording. I owned all of those versions and still have a 722k on my parents account in my name.

SO the 922 came around and I fell for all the hype and press releases associated with CES last January, and paid to buy a 922 last May. Since then for many ,many months I suffered the many software glitches, power reboots , missed recordings , non released features like Archiving to external hard drive and tv 2 independent viewing, etc. I really thought that DISH had this main frame of this receiver down after this many receivers released with name based recordings. Even Scott G. said the 922 would have the 722k insides + sling. So I figured it wouldn't be that much different than a 722k. But I was WRONG.

It is almost like DISH had to reinvent the whole receiver from the ground up. Which is why it took so long to get the 922 to function almost like the 722/722k receivers already do. Since last month and this month , they have updated the 922 to have external hard drive archiving as well as tv 2 independent viewing. But I made a decision that I was through with this receiver, after I learned the sling extender for tv 2 in hd ,was not going to be released and had been pulled from the DISH site. I now have a new 722k dvr, that I swapped my 922 out for, from the online retailer that I bought my receiver from.

So the point of this story is to remember this: Never buy or upgrade to a receiver based on promised unreleased features or you will be terribly disappointed. Also never buy a new receiver unless you are prepared to ask GOD for patience. Lots and lots of patience.

Well in case anyone is wondering what I ended up deciding. I first scheduled to get a 722 upgrade based on the feedback I got from people, but at the last moment I said screw it, and switched it up for the 922. It's been a couple days now and I must say I'm glad I did.

I currently have my 922 hooked up to 3 TVs - 1 hooked up to TV1 and the other 2 hooked to TV2. I definitely like the remote for it much better. I was never able to program my 622 remote to control my TV2s due to lack of codes - but with the 922 and it's learn functionality it was pretty easy. I manage to talk Dish into sending me a second remote for free since the 922 only came with 1 (I use a Harmony 890 remote for TV1).

Sling didn't work initially on the first day - ended up talking to Dish Tech support and they had to update something on their side, and by the next day I noticed it working. Seems to work pretty good - even with my iPhone on mobile internet. I was finally able to retire my old setup using Orb (Free Sling-like software for your PC) connecting to a Dish receiver and an IR blaster. Although Orb ran pretty decent, Sling blows it away.

Another great thing is I can now get to PlayOn (for Hulu) right from my 922 - and it actually runs better then it did from my PS3.

I also must say that I really like the 922's UI. I haven't really noticed any issues so far.

I did manage to get a pretty decent deal when I signed up. The receiver was $200 but I got $10/month off for a year ($120), Free HD for life ($10/month savings), waived Tech appt. ($90), upgraded dishes, plus a free second remote ($20).

For those people who are looking to upgrade to a 922 and want TV2 hooked up, here's a warning - the installers are pretty clueless about it. He told me I could not do TV2, even though I tried to explain to him that it was in fact enabled in the last firmware update. He even ended up calling it in to the office, and they said the same thing, that I couldn't use it.

So I gave up and let him install the 922 on my TV1 and move my 622 for my other 2 TVs. Then as soon as he left I disconnected the 622 and connected those TVs to the 922's TV2 - worked like a charm as expected. Now my 622 is on it's way back to Dish...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)