922's EHD's to be DISABLED tonight.

I just got a 922 and moved my 722 back to my bedroom. EHD is still connected to the 722 because of the 922 issues. My question is will the 922 try to re-format my EHD once I move it over to the 922?

Yes when everything is working it should work just as it does on a 622/722.

You say that like it's "good" news. :no

BTW, did Bob sneak onto the system and replace your avatar with his? ;)

Attachments

3.1 KB · Views: 131
Early this morning after I shut off my 922 (yes I know its actually standby) I started to get the download of S102, after just a short bit of time the screen went blank (the do not disturb warning just disappeared). After a few minutes it came back with the progress bar completed. Dish needs to make sure that the download progress/warning screen stays visable until the download completes or somebody could end up accidently bricking their 922.

Have you never purchased a brand new receiver before?!?! Dish has a LONG history of doing this. Remember the 921?

I have, models 6000, 921, 622 and 722.

I know not everything is right at release, but the EHD feature is a major part of the unit. They had a lot of beta testers that would have gladly tested this feature before release and probably found all of these issues. I'm still surprised that they waited until the release software to turn this on.

I just got a 922 and moved my 722 back to my bedroom. EHD is still connected to the 722 because of the 922 issues. My question is will the 922 try to re-format my EHD once I move it over to the 922?

No, it won't format it, but currently, if you try to transfer anything off it to your 922 there's a good chance you'll lose it.

I tried to transfer about 5 TV shows from my EHD I used with my 622 the day after I got the 922, only one show made it across and it was corupted and wouldn't play. I was lucky in that the 4 shows that didn't transfer were still on the EHD and viewable, the downside was I killed the DVR functionality of the 922, couldn't record anything, couldn't watch anything I had already recorded, and couldn't even pause live tv any more. I think I may have killed the hard drive. 6 days after my first 922, I recieved my second 922 to replace the one I killed... :'(

IMO the 922 wasreleased too early and is buggy to the extreme, but I would still buy it again just cus I'm a stupid geek. :)

Keep in mind, like anything else fresh off the line that you decide to buy, you are subject to the benefits & the hiccups of being an early adopter...This is essentially an open beta for the box.

while we really want feedback on the problem, complaining about them is silly, especially if you are active on this site...You knew what you were getting into the second you bought into the 922. Dish cannot anticipate every problem with a closed beta, it's not feasible, this is part of the bug hunting process! ;) (Though it would be nice for them to charge a reduced DVR fee for early adopters -hint, hint)

Keep letting Dish know what problems are occurring, but don't complain because of the bugs, because it was your choice to upgrade my friends.

My current hiccups:

-S104 software
-EHD re-enabled, but does not transfer files consistently
-Guide locks up if you browse for an extened period, causing a reboot
-Sling player 3rd party app is not allowed ( must use Dish site or old software work-around)
-2 random reboots & accompanying alarm (my wife screaming)

Keep in mind, like anything else fresh off the line that you decide to buy, you are subject to the benefits & the hiccups of being an early adopter...This is essentially an open beta for the box.

while we really want feedback on the problem, complaining about them is silly, especially if you are active on this site...You knew what you were getting into the second you bought into the 922. Dish cannot anticipate every problem with a closed beta, it's not feasible, this is part of the bug hunting process! ;) (Though it would be nice for them to charge a reduced DVR fee for early adopters -hint, hint)

Keep letting Dish know what problems are occurring, but don't complain because of the bugs, because it was your choice to upgrade my friends.

My current hiccups:

-S104 software
-EHD re-enabled, but does not transfer files consistently
-Guide locks up if you browse for an extened period, causing a reboot
-Sling player 3rd party app is not allowed ( must use Dish site or old software work-around)
-2 random reboots & accompanying alarm (my wife screaming)

That is very well put... and exactly why I didn't get one. 6 months from now, maybe.

I am getting all the beta I can handle with my automation system at work. When I come home, I want everything to work. My 722K does just that.

What Dish should have done is come to this site and do a sign up for an open beta. Take maybe 100 people from here, upgrade their current box for no fee and use the feedback to fix it before general release. If anyone can break it, we could.

Just got this in...
* The External Hard Drive connection feature will be temporarily disabled at midnight tonight due to unexpected media transfer issues. The goal is to enable it again by April 23, 2010. The following pop-up message will display when customers try to use this feature.

* "A problem has been found with the media transfer feature that my cause recordings to be lost. This will be fixed and ready to use on April 23, 2010"

I see, based on the post above mine (#33), that as of 5/5 this had not yet been resolved. Is there new outlook as to when I should be able to connect the EHD from my 622 to my 922 and watch that programming?

Thanks!

That's great and should have been done prior to release. I'm sure most of my programs that I transferred and ended up corrupted are gone forever, well at least until re-runs. But that was the price I had to pay to be one of the first customers to have a 922 installed. I'm glad that Dish and their engineers are working so hard to get this box working. You've got to give them credit. And, Scott thanks for your hard work as well with the 922, it's much appreciated!

While I don't have a 922, I routinely copy the contents of external HDD to my SAN (good old Linux ext3 filesystem)... so maybe you and others should consider that? (and yes, I have performed full restores and never have had an issue - even when I upgraded to a 1 TB external HDD for my DVR). Just saying... it pays to understand disaster recovery plans...

That is very well put... and exactly why I didn't get one. 6 months from now, maybe.

What Dish should have done is come to this site and do a sign up for an open beta. Take maybe 100 people from here, upgrade their current box for no fee and use the feedback to fix it before general release. If anyone can break it, we could.

Amen brother on both counts! But more than 100 people for an open beta is a better route to go. I'm just sick and tired of Dish (and pretty much every other company) using their consumer bases as their true field beta testers instead of a proper engineering quality assurance program! Now imagine, just for a moment, if that was done with tactical aircraft....

Have you never purchased a brand new receiver before?!?! Dish has a LONG history of doing this. Remember the 921?

This receiver was in testing for over an year, remember CES 2009? The 921 was not all that bad, could have used an iron get all the wrinkles out, and we all know that. The 922 has been in beta testing and they have fixed so much that was wrong with it. It always take letting it go to the general public for other things to be found. It's just going to happen, for the month of April alone there were 4 software upgrades. Dish Network is on top of this thing like a hawk, no wonder when you call in for tech support now you go straight to Advanced Tech Support. They fill out forms for every call they take so Dish can fix issues. And we are lucky this is the biggest issue right now. At least it works, and works great.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)