My guess is that the royalties DISH pays for the privilege to have the app on the Hopper isnt resulting in an increase of Netflix subscribers that would offset those payments.

Why would Dish pay anything to have the Netflix app on the hopper?

Unless they are offering Netflix to dish customers for free.

Reactions: Pere845 and NYDutch
Yet locals get Dish to pay them, when they get more eyeballs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Apples and oranges... There's no copyright issues with Dish including the Netflix app. And no law requiring Dish to pay them. When a Dish user subscribes to Netflix, Netflix increases their revenue, not Dish.

Not sure I see Dish paying royalties. Maybe development costs to build/maintain the app on the Hopper/Joey, which is not a common platform like Android or iOS? At one point Netflix wanted their app everywhere and did the development free of charge, like on the PS3, but now everyone wants Netflix on their device, so the balance of power might have shifted.

Charlie is a super secret behind the scenes sponsor...he donates cash
Not sure I see Dish paying royalties. Maybe development costs to build/maintain the app on the Hopper/Joey, which is not a common platform like Android or iOS? At one point Netflix wanted their app everywhere and did the development free of charge, like on the PS3, but now everyone wants Netflix on their device, so the balance of power might have shifted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

To prevent a lawsuit ..charlie sold illegal distant locals for years and years.. he got slapped around by the courts over that issue.
Why would Charlie and Goodfriend lie about a Dish donation. AT&T certainly hasn't made any effort to hide their donation. If anything, I would think AT&T would be less likely to donate if Charlie was involved.

To prevent a lawsuit ..charlie sold illegal distant locals for years and years.. he got slapped around by the courts over that issue.

Which has nothing to do with making donations to a 501(c)3 non-profit organization like SFCNY/Locast. It's even tax deductible...

And if accepting an injunction preventing them from offering DNS qualifies as getting "slapped around", then yes, they did. Of course they were then allowed to lease transponder space to another company that could offer DNS to qualified subscribers until the injunction was lifted several years later. From a subscriber standpoint, nothing much changed except getting the DNS bill separately during that period.

Which has nothing to do with making donations to a 501(c)3 non-profit organization like SFCNY/Locast. It's even tax deductible...

And if accepting an injunction preventing them from offering DNS qualifies as getting "slapped around", then yes, they did. Of course they were then allowed to lease transponder space to another company that could offer DNS to qualified subscribers until the injunction was lifted several years later. From a subscriber standpoint, nothing much changed except getting the DNS bill separately during that period.
you don't get it..its about circumventing paying retransmission fees in dish's case..his "friends" donate..he doesn't..long ago ..in the world of dish..if your antenna didn't receive a signal..you qualified for distants (sounds reasonable) but not to networks and local station owners..he had 5 designated cities you could pick from (most locals not available at that time) slowly..locals were added for every DMA..charlie let people be "grandfathered" (sounds reasonable) but lost a long drawn out lawsuit..Because of that lawsuit Dish has certain conditions they have to abide by they cannot directly sell distants..thus the leases(no idea if this is still the case)..if he were to "donate" to locast..he would probably violate some court imposed restriction

you don't get it..its about circumventing paying retransmission fees in dish's case..his "friends" donate..he doesn't..long ago ..in the world of dish..if your antenna didn't receive a signal..you qualified for distants (sounds reasonable) but not to networks and local station owners..he had 5 designated cities you could pick from (most locals not available at that time) slowly..locals were added for every DMA..charlie let people be "grandfathered" (sounds reasonable) but lost a long drawn out lawsuit..Because of that lawsuit Dish has certain conditions they have to abide by they cannot directly sell distants..thus the leases(no idea if this is still the case)..if he were to "donate" to locast..he would probably violate some court imposed restriction

The DNS injunction was lifted long ago and Dish was offering west coast DNS to qualified truckers and RV'ers in 2017. As I recall, they more recently dropped the option though, apparently due to a lack of interest by subscribers, not any legal issues. Changing locals is so easy now, especially for tailgaters and RV'ers with an "Outdoor" account such as I have. A couple of taps on my phone and a security code entry and the locals change to the DMA where my phone's GPS thinks I'm currently located.

Reactions: TheKrell
Not really...under new stricter rules
The DNS injunction was lifted long ago and Dish was offering west coast DNS to qualified truckers and RV'ers in 2017. As I recall, they more recently dropped the option though, apparently due to a lack of interest by subscribers, not any legal issues. Changing locals is so easy now, especially for tailgaters and RV'ers with an "Outdoor" account such as I have. A couple of taps on my phone and a security code entry and the locals change to the DMA where my phone's GPS thinks I'm currently located.

You obviously never had DNS under the old rules..
"Not really" what? The recent DNS option? The ease of changing locals? The DNS option had the same rules as DTV. Changing locals is as simple as a phone call, chat session, or using the app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts