942 2.87 Software

kresston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 29, 2004
Home of the HOKIES!!
Does anyone know what this new software release fixes and breaks? I do know its got some new features, and finally the caller ID works again, but I don't know how long that will last.

kresston said:
Does anyone know what this new software release fixes and breaks? I do know its got some new features, and finally the caller ID works again, but I don't know how long that will last.

They added an "original air date" to the DVR menu. That's the first thing I noticed. The video looks cleaner at the left and right edges when viewing SD in "normal".

I wonder if they have the option for IR on TV2 yet?

They also added a new system information screen, a new diagnostic screen and we can now edit dvr'ed event names. Haven't seen anything else other than what you've said and I've said.

Last edited:
kresston said:
They also added a new system information screen and we can now edit dvr'ed event names. Haven't seen anything else other than what you've said and I've said.

I saw that too. The name edit may be a good way for my wife and I to keep track of the programs we watch independently. I can add my initials or a number indicating I've watched the recording or visa versa.

I found an option for ERD "External Recording Device" as well. Not sure if it was there before. I don't have an external USB HDD at home to try it.

jetskier said:
I found an option for ERD "External Recording Device" as well. Not sure if it was there before. I don't have an external USB HDD at home to try it.

Where was this at? I haven't noticed it yet.

Do they still have the "turn off updates" option disabled? It is in "Preferences" and then "Updates." In L282 they had a box to check to turn them off.

I desparately need this option, as every daily update check wipes out my EPG and timers. So my timers only work for 24 hours if I leave town.

I setup my daily schedule for 10PM, so that it would pop up when I would likely be watching and ask me if I want to cancel, which I do every night.

PS Just checked the release notes and it appears that they brought it back. GREAT!!!

jetskier said:
No, we are the only losers at home on Friday Night. :rolleyes:
Wait until you have kids....

lol
i'm a home body but, kids are far into my future, i'm still in school, can barely support myself let alone another person, so i see many friday nights at home in my future :devil:

Yes, I just updated to L287 and it isn't there. Despite it being listed as a feature enhancement on the dbstalk release notes. (well, upon re-reading the dbstalk notice, I can't tell if it is saying the feature is being removed or returned)

Darn it anyway.

L287 also doesn't fix the audio problem I've had with the 942, which is that my receiver cannot auto detect DD5.1 or Stereo when using the optical digital connection. This worked fine on my previous DD-compatible Dish receivers (4900, 7100, 510, 811).

My battles with my super buggy, cursed 942 continue.

I've owned 4000, 4700, 4900, 7100, 510, 811 and 942 receivers and my 942 is by far the most buggy, least stable of the entire lot.

Last edited:
They've added some other things, when its in standby the floating logo now has which tv the logo is on, and if the logo is on the screen you can hit the up or the down button it brings up the old system info screen.

Pretty nice update if I do say so myself :)

My 942 got the update last night.

Oh and Tom, sorry to hear about the problems with the 942. Mine hasn't had a single problem that I know of....

sampatterson said:
Yes, you can now record to external USB drives!

OOOOooooo...I really hope this update enabled that. I've been waiting for this for a long time. Unfortunately, no USB drive at the moment to test with either...anyone else?

This update sucks! We now have the 1-second lag of audio after a pause like on the older DIsh boxes. Also, my EPG says "No Info" and two reboots havent corrected it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)