942/622 cable HD install question

grizduck

Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Hello -

I currently have a 942 receiver with an OTA antenna connected which I receive most, but not all of my local HD programming. I also have a basic comcast cable subscription because it saves me $10 on my internet service. With that service I get all of the local channels in HD as well. I tried connecting my cable service to the 942 and did a local channel search. It found all of the analog channels but none of the HD channels. So my question is, should the 942 (or the 622, for when I upgrade in April) be able to detect the digital cable channels as well as the analog. Thanks in advance

grizduck said:
So my question is, should the 942 (or the 622, for when I upgrade in April) be able to detect the digital cable channels as well as the analog. Thanks in advance
No. The OTA (over the air) digital channels and cable-provided digital channels use different technologies. The 942 and 622 will only receive satellite-delivered and OTA HD channels, not cable-provided HD channels.

I think,

As Jason said, OTA Digital (ATSC) and cable digital (QAM) are different modulations.

The 622 will not tune any analog channels.

The 942 will tune but not record analog channels, as on the 921. These may only be the OTA channel numbers. Cable and OTA match only up to 13. Cable 14 to 22 are between low VHF (2-6) and above FM. Cable 23 and up are above 13 and some above something can be turned with the UHF OTA tuner and an offset number. (I forget if there is a selection for cable vs. OTA modes but don't think so.)

The 50x DVR will pass OTA through when the box is off and possibly with the TV/VCR switch?

It is best to keep the systems separate!
I know that on the 811 the RF input of the receiver produced much worse pictures than going to the TV directly. Since you cannot record any signals from the cable, why send it through the box for a bad signal?

-Ken

Note that SOME cable systems actually DO pass through the original ATSC signal of the local affiliates. If you're lucky enough to have that, the 921/942/622 WILL record those channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)