942 deal for existing customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Did any existing customer get a good deal on 942 DVR? To me paying $700 for a box which will be outdated in about two years is waaaaaay too much.

Dish never gives good deals to current subscribers. I'm actually surprised they'll even let you buy one at all. They dangled the 522 in front of us like a carrot for a long enough time.

Currently there are no 942 "deals" for existing customers. There are rumors that a lease deal may be available in the future.

Most HD DVR's are not cheap, technology is usually outdated within months, so you spend your $$ and get your usage. If you think that $700 is to much for you, don't buy one and wait another year or two for a mpeg4 version of the 942.

normang said:
Most HD DVR's are not cheap, technology is usually outdated within months, so you spend your $$ and get your usage. If you think that $700 is to much for you, don't buy one and wait another year or two for a mpeg4 version of the 942.

942's can be picked up on ebay in the 550.00 - 650.00 range not much more then the price of a 921...

And as bad as the 921 is (looking at its avg resale price)you bet you could recope 90% of that money (spent on 942) if you resale it at some future date.

Just look at E* deal to lease a 522...they wanted 149-199.00 from most customers...what do you think they will want for the 942...at least 250.00 as that is what they are getting from the new customes...

Paradox-SJ said:
942's can be picked up on ebay in the 550.00 - 650.00 range not much more then the price of a 921...

Wow, can I shop at your Ebay? I have yet to see a 942 in go for $550-650 range. :eek:

normang said:

$700 is too much for what you get to most people not just me. No DVR is technically more difficult to make than a PC and yet a nice and brand new PCs cost $300 bucks these days. DVR is just a peace of crapy hardware with hard drive and very, very buggy software. And they want $700 for that :shocked ?! I called Dish the other day in a search for betetr deal on that but not just I didn't get it, I was told even if I buy new 942 DVR I'd still have to pay a $5 "DVR service charge" each month :confused: . What a heck is DVR service charge?!?! That reminds me why I actuallty signed up with Voom over a year ago.
Anyway, I opened this topic because I got my 811 when it first came out for $150 although I was existing customer. So, I thought they may sell 942 for about $300 is you insist a little bit harder but...
If they don't give me any resonable discount for 942 then Charlie can stick his $700 942 DVR, $10 HD pack (5 channels), and the $5 DVR service charge :eek: up in his a$$.

Beware of buying satellite receivers from private sources. The smart card inside is referenced to the serial number of the unit. If the previous owner owes any money then you won't be able to activate the box until the account is settled. Make sure you get written confirmation from the seller that no balances are due.

PS: A DVR fee is basically a tivo charge (waived if you have Everything Pak)

Conjuror said:
$700 is too much for what you get to most people not just me. No DVR is technically more difficult to make than a PC and yet a nice and brand new PCs cost $300 bucks these days. DVR is just a peace of crapy hardware with hard drive and very, very buggy software. And they want $700 for that :shocked ?! I called Dish the other day in a search for betetr deal on that but not just I didn't get it, I was told even if I buy new 942 DVR I'd still have to pay a $5 "DVR service charge" each month :confused: . What a heck is DVR service charge?!?! That reminds me why I actuallty signed up with Voom over a year ago.
Anyway, I opened this topic because I got my 811 when it first came out for $150 although I was existing customer. So, I thought they may sell 942 for about $300 is you insist a little bit harder but...
If they don't give me any resonable discount for 942 then Charlie can stick his $700 942 DVR, $10 HD pack (5 channels), and the $5 DVR service charge :eek: up in his a$$.

A "good" pc does not cost $300. It can be easily twice, three times that.. or more If you want a $300 PC, you get what you pay for in most cases.

I am not going to defend the cost of the unit, I could say its a touch over-priced and if your willing to wait, it will eventually be even cheaper.

I think that it does most of what I would want and it will improve as the refine the software and if I want that functionality now, the price is the price. Its Dish's hardware, they can charge what they think it worth. If you don't think its worth it, by all means don't buy one.. keep waiting, eventually you'll get what you want at the price you want, and in the mean time, you won't have a HD DVR..

Yes, I agree they might be slightly overpriced, but they also contain some not-so-standard hardware. Aside from the cost of three demodulators, it also contains a SATA (not vanilla ATA) hard disk and a MPEG2 decoder ASIC. None of these items ordinarily appear in off-the-shelf PCs.

Conjuror said:

A MYHD120 card with the DVI daughter card will cost you 350.00 out the door. It does/has 1 OTA and 1 QAM 256 tuner (no encrypted).... Then you need to have a PC to put it in so if you pick up one of those 300.00 'specials' you love so much you are already at $650.00. :)

So the cost is on par to what it would cost you to build your own DVR.....
Granted the programing is free with your home HTPC but it is limited to just he broadcast networks and that is if you can get them. Also there isnt any 5.00 a month DVR charge. Though it will cost you 20.00 a month in electricty to run you HTPC....

All and all they are about even...If price is you hang up....Cable is you best bet. No up front cost...15.00 a month

Paradox-SJ said:
Though it will cost you 20.00 a month in electricty to run you HTPC....
Damn! How much are you paying for electricity!??!?!?! :eek:

normang said:

Very well said.

You should have told him how much the MPEG4 version will be. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts