942: If you could do it all over again...

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
Hello all you HD-fiends with the 942!

I am itching to move into HD/PVR to take advantage of my projector and screen (7 foot wide 16:9 picture :D). However, I have held off for three reasons:
1) cost of HD receiver
2) still relatively low # of HD channels / original programming
3) imminent move to mpeg4

Happily, I see that costs for the HD/PVR receiver are now below $640 and should continue to drop. Likewise, there are indications that HD programming should boom with the move to mpeg4 and final approval of the VOOM sale.

So, here I am trying to figure out whether to jump in now or wait a bit longer. I've read several threads discussing potential upgrade paths for 942 owners to something that is referred to as the 962 (personally, I think it will be the 442...). Ultimately, though, there is no definite plan for 942 owners yet.

For those of you who have the 942, if you were to do it all over again, would you still buy the 942 and hope for the best regarding equipment upgrades, or would you hold out a bit longer for mpeg4-capable version of the 942?

Thanks!
Red

I was in the same boat and after seeing a special on Sat guys site for one of their sponsors. Discount and free shipping. So I went for it. I am really glad I replaced my 501 with the 942. Got a better deal than the new ones on Ebay. I could not get a dealer around here to sell me one or even take interest in selling me one.

The dual tuners and the ota antenna has been very nice. Being able to record from OTA channels was a big plus and obviously the HD output.

Only thing missing that I liked in the 5000 was the audio/video input that would let you play a device and view it on channel 0. This made it nice to watch a dvd in another room of the house that is feed from the cable output of the dish receiver.

Seeing that D* has said in several publications that it will swap out the old receivers for new mpeg ones makes me thing the E* would end up having to do something similar.

Very happy with 942 and recording mostly OTA, but watch HD VOOM. Why wait? Enjoy today!

Two schools of thought when buying new electronics (well....actually alot more, but I'm using this for now!).

1) Wait....and wait....and keep waiting. Their is ALWAYS something new coming and just-around-the-corner. So your better off NEVER buying because of the "new stuff" coming next year!

2) Get it now and enjoy it........NOW!

Sure there are some "bugs" in the 942, but I am EXTREMELY glad to have it, and would get it again in a second!

Limited HD programming? How 'bout 21 HD channels (counting off-air & VOOM).......what ya waiting for? To see what happens in the Spring '06...lol!!! But wait....by then the new 982 DVR (expanded recording capacity & 3 OTA tuners!) will be talked about with a possible release date of Christmas '06!!!!

Enjoy!~
Robert

robert393 said:
Two schools of thought when buying new electronics (well....actually alot more, but I'm using this for now!).

1) Wait....and wait....and keep waiting. Their is ALWAYS something new coming and just-around-the-corner. So your better off NEVER buying because of the "new stuff" coming next year!

2) Get it now and enjoy it........NOW!

Sure there are some "bugs" in the 942, but I am EXTREMELY glad to have it, and would get it again in a second!

Limited HD programming? How 'bout 21 HD channels (counting off-air & VOOM).......what ya waiting for? To see what happens in the Spring '06...lol!!! But wait....by then the new 982 DVR (expanded recording capacity & 3 OTA tuners!) will be talked about with a possible release date of Christmas '06!!!!

Enjoy!~
Robert

Don't you just hate it when what you write is taken a different way than you meant it? ;)

Believe me, I'm not one of the "keep waiting" crowd. In fact, I'm often an "early adopter" (my first browser was Mosaic 0.8 something on a CSLIP link in early 1994!).

Anyway, I admit to being on the fence about mpeg4. In this case, it is not about the next best thing, but avoiding obsolescence.

My comment about limited HD programming was perhaps made in ignorance. Where I live there is no OTA HD at all - none. I believe with the right aerial aimed in just the right direction a person can get a couple of snowy analog channels. Rural Maine is truly the land of the dish, both big and small. In my location I would probably qualify for the CBS HD feed.

According to DishNetwork.com there are 5 channels in the HD Pak and an additional 10 channels in the VOOM Pak. From what I've read, the Voom programming is heavily recycled. Can't say from personal experience, so I'll take that one with a grain of salt. So that makes 15 channels. Not bad for $15 a month. I wonder what the remaining Voom channels will cost when they are made available (in mpeg4, it appears)?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative - just wanted to give some background on my perspective. Thanks for the input. I think it is finally time to pull the trigger on the 942 purchase. :D

Well, only had my 942 three days. My HDMI doesn't work. I can't use my optical digital audio connection reliably. Only 3 of the Voom channels come in right, apparently due to my legacy switches, so I'm going to have to drop another $100 on DishPro stuff. I payed full price for it, then engaged in online conversations about how obsolete it is BEFORE it arrived. And of the three digital OTA channels in my area, one is in spanish, one just has a blue line on a black screen, and none are in HD.

But I love it.

I would definitely buy again. I am having some "minor" glitches with this newest software release, but I believe it will be taken care of ASAP. My family truly enjoys this receiver!
Tom in TX

I've had my 942 since May...love it and it was the perfect choice at the time. However, I hated having to pay the $250 HD DVR upgrade fee simply for the pleasure of LEASING, not owning, a 942. The local cable company offers low-cost HD DVRs that can be rented for a nominal fee. Prior to E* I had rented three HD DVRs from them. Also, Verizon will be rolling into town next year and renting HD DVRs (minus the $250 upgrade fee) and perhaps Whole Home Networking to boot. Additionally, D* will be coming out their HD DVRs next year, which provides me and others with even more choices. Like I said, I am happy with the decision I made back in May, but if presented with the same choice (and that fact VOOM HD content is lacking) today, 7 October 2005, I may elect to rent cable HD DVRs and wait for free or low-cost equipment next summer.

Once my programming agreement expires in May 2006, my next provider will let me rent three HD DVRs or Whole Home Networking and provide the most HD at a reasonable price. If E* wants to keep me as a customer next year, they had better let me rent another two 942s or their equivalent and perhaps refund my $250 upgrade fee or transfer ownership of my original 942. The competition will simply demand low-cost or no-cost hardware IMO.

RedSavina said:
In this case, it is not about the next best thing, but avoiding obsolescence.
Unfortunately, the obsolescence is unavoidable! Welcome to the digital world ruled by the Moore's Law! Not just CPU power, but most of other parameters double every couple of years. If you think that a DVR can serve you for many years, think again! (DVR is just another computer!) :D

Having said that, if local HD channels are very important for you, then MPEG4 compatibility might become a major issue. Perhaps you should consider leasing instead of buying.

P.S. Love my 942!

If I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would have bought the DirecTiVo HR10-250. I admit that the 942 receiver is a great receiver when it works, but it has serious reliability and stability problems as compared to DirecTivo. The Dish 942 receiver requires many reboots and constant attention to operate.

I had a DirecTivo for years and never had the number of problems that I’ve had with the 942. Since May 2005 when I had the receiver installed, I’ve rebooted more than 60 times. I’ve missed more than 30 programs due to guide glitches or unexplained phenomenon. With my DirecTivo, I rebooted maybe once every 6 months and I recall only one missed recording the entire time I owned it.

I took the Dish 942 plunge because of the lure of the VOOM programming, but as someone stated, the content is heavily recycled. VOOM has not lived up to the expectation. Most of the good HD content is on OTA anyway and the HR10-250 has dual OTA tuners.

If you must have HD now, I would look for a DirecTiVo HR10-250 unit. At one point, they were selling them for around $250 especially if you were an existing DirecTV customer.

If you can wait, then I would wait until maybe around spring or summer 2006. Both DirecTV and Dish are going through tremendous changes right now with mpeg4. Mpeg4 requires new hardware, which also means new software. Even after they release the new receivers (end of this year/beginning of next year), you may have to wait a while before they stabilize their products. Also, no one is really sure about the overall quality of mpeg4. OTA quality is king.

mine is still rock solid (knock on wood)...and I love it. Not sure I could live without it now. I agree the $250 rate was a little steep to lease it, but still VERY happy that I pulled the trigger on getting one! Besides...who knows when E* might get around to the MPEG4 thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)