942 install charge question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Ok I have an older legacy setup. Dish 500 w/ 61.5 side dish, SW64 switch... I am not sure if the lnbs are twin or dual but I think they are dual. I am feeding 4 receivers currently... 811, 6000, 510, 2900. Each receiver has only 1 feed to it. I want to upgrade to a 942, keeping the 6000, 811, and 510.
IF and notice this is a big IF .... IF I can get the existing customer lease will the $250 cover any switch or lnb changes if they are necessary and the install? (We did the previous install ourselves.)
If I decide to purchase instead of lease will *E be the only one that I can purchase from and get the necessary equipment changed? If I could buy it from dishstore would I run into a lot of extra expense for changes needed to switches or lnbs?
Sorry this is long but I tried to cover my bases. :)

Not long - well stated.

I almost always recommend talking to a local retailer, but in this case, it's time to call E* - there's the only ones that will swap out all that old gear without an extra charge - they won't pay the retailers enough to do this.

I have the exact same setup, with 4 receivers. Dish is removing my leased 811 and installing a leased 942 this week. I was told all hardware upgrades are free of charge. This will include swapping out my Dish 500 and 61.5 with DishPro lnbfs as well as swapping my sw64 with a DPP44. Couple of Dish reps told me if I would have purchased the 942, the lnbfs upgrades are free but I would have been responsible for the DPP44 switch cost.

You are going to need a DPP44. You will be actually be adding 2 additional outlet to your system. There for to make the system work you will need either 2 sw64 (nightmare but can be done) E* will most likely charge you for the second sw64, 2 DP34 More wire, adaptors for the legacy rec. and they might charge you for the second DP34 and the adaptors. Or lastly and best DPP44. If they give it to you than take it and run.

dont24 said:
I have the exact same setup, with 4 receivers. Dish is removing my leased 811 and installing a leased 942 this week. I was told all hardware upgrades are free of charge. This will include swapping out my Dish 500 and 61.5 with DishPro lnbfs as well as swapping my sw64 with a DPP44. Couple of Dish reps told me if I would have purchased the 942, the lnbfs upgrades are free but I would have been responsible for the DPP44 switch cost.

Please post back and let me know what kind of charges end up being involved.

mikethedishguy said:
You are going to need a DPP44. You will be actually be adding 2 additional outlet to your system. There for to make the system work you will need either 2 sw64 (nightmare but can be done) E* will most likely charge you for the second sw64, 2 DP34 More wire, adaptors for the legacy rec. and they might charge you for the second DP34 and the adaptors. Or lastly and best DPP44. If they give it to you than take it and run.

Two additional outlets? I was aware of only 1.... the additional run into the 942.
Ok... so say for arguments sake that I can easily get 2 lines into the 942 myself and run one of those easily out to one of the other sets and I drop the 510. How much does that change the picture? I could still record 1 program and watch 1 on tv1 and 1 on tv2 correct?

From the posts I am getting the message that the 6000 needs legacy (or an adaptor) and the 942 needs pro... the others swing both ways. Is this correct?

The 942 is a dual tuner thus it needs two cable runs to the switch or one cable run if they use a DPP44 and a separator.

If they give you a DPP44 then you can have the 6000, 811, 510 and the new 942 (with separator) receiver off one switch.

When I went through Dish for my 942 they came out and installed a DPP-44 and a new LNB for that 100 dollar install charge. Considering the time and parts involved 100 dollars was reasonable.

SatelliteGAL said:
Please post back and let me know what kind of charges end up being involved.
Will do. Getting installed Friday. Installer showed up a couple of days after I ordered the 942. Couldn't do anything since I hadn't received it, but I did talk to him about my install. He stated the lnbf upgrades would be no charge, but he'd have to charge me for the DPP44. I since called Dish back and was assured that since I am leasing the 942, all equipment upgrades were no charge to me. Only thing I have to pay is the $250 lease fee. Dish rep also mentioned the installer should know this since "lease" option is on the work order. We'll see :)

Installers just left. No additional cost. They swapped out my lnbfs with Dish Pro ones and replaced my SW64 with a DPP44. Only cost to me was the $250 lease fee. I told them lunch was on me today and gave them $40.

dont24 said:
Installers just left. No additional cost. They swapped out my lnbfs with Dish Pro ones and replaced my SW64 with a DPP44. Only cost to me was the $250 lease fee. I told them lunch was on me today and gave them $40.

Well, that sounds good. I hope they all do the same thing. I guess I will try my luck at getting the 942 on a lease then to carry me through until mpeg4 comes around. Thanks for coming back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)