942 install questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fabric8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Hello everyone. I am considering upgrading my receiver(s) to the new 942. I have several installation questions.

Right now I have the 7200 receiver at the main TV and a 301(if I recall correctly) at the 2nd TV.
I have the Dish 500 dish and dual LNB's with two SW21 switches. I also have two coax cables running to the location I will put the 942 as well as a standard antanae coax there, and one coax running downstairs to the 2nd TV. So I believe I am all set cable-wise.

Questions:
1) Am I fine with the dish/LNb's, and those switches? It will hook right up and get everything fine, for both TV's?
2) Is the dish pointed correctly to receive the HD channels? In other words will I be able to get the VOOM channels and other HD channels, when I subscribe?
3) Since I will no longer be using the second receiver, since the 942 acts as a second receiver for our 2nd TV, will I still have to pay the second receiver charge from DN?
4) Right now, I pay an extra $9.99 per month to receive the program schedule on my DishPlayer 7200, will I still have to pay that with the 942?

That is all for now, if I think of other questions, I will ask.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

-Kev

Fabric8r said:
Hello everyone. I am considering upgrading my receiver(s) to the new 942. I have several installation questions.

Right now I have the 7200 receiver at the main TV and a 301(if I recall correctly) at the 2nd TV.
I have the Dish 500 dish and dual LNB's with two SW21 switches. I also have two coax cables running to the location I will put the 942 as well as a standard antanae coax there, and one coax running downstairs to the 2nd TV. So I believe I am all set cable-wise.

Questions:
1) Am I fine with the dish/LNb's, and those switches? It will hook right up and get everything fine, for both TV's?
2) Is the dish pointed correctly to receive the HD channels? In other words will I be able to get the VOOM channels and other HD channels, when I subscribe?
3) Since I will no longer be using the second receiver, since the 942 acts as a second receiver for our 2nd TV, will I still have to pay the second receiver charge from DN?
4) Right now, I pay an extra $9.99 per month to receive the program schedule on my DishPlayer 7200, will I still have to pay that with the 942?

That is all for now, if I think of other questions, I will ask.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

-Kev

Kev: Let's take them in turn...

It sounds like you have a Dish 500 set up using legacy LNBFs w/SW21s today.

1) Yes. You will be able to get everything you do now.

2) No. You will need a 2nd dish pointed at 61.5 to get VOOM at this time. This will necessitate replacing the SW21s with an SW64 if you stay with legacy LNBFs (the 61.5 dish will have use a legacy dual LNBF too). The Dish 500 will pick up the rest - as of today, anyway.

3) No. Make sure a phone line is connected to the 942 however.

4) I'm not familiar with the program schedule fee for the DishPlayer 7200. The 942 does have a $5/mo. DVR fee unless you have the AEP.

Hope this helps!

--Doug

2) Another way is to get a legacy Twin for the Dish 500, move one of the duals over to the 18" dish, use your SW21s between the dishes. This should be cheaper but has no expansion possibilities. Other options are detailed in the "Adding 61.5" article on the EKB.

3) The fee is waived if you have a phone line connected.

4) Dish also makes you subscribe to your locals to see the guide for those channels, so $4.98 DVR + $5.99 LIL. Seems the DVR fee which is supposedly partly for name-based recording doesn't actually include all the names.

Thanks to both of you. Great info. :yes

I do have a phone line to hook the receiver to, as did with my 7200.

It appears that I can purchase the 942 receiver on-line, hook it up, give DN a call to authorize it, and I will be all set. I will get all the same programming I do now, plus 5 HD channels. (with programming payment of course)

If I want the 10 VOOM channels (are they worth it?) I have to pay another $50.00 and they will send out a whole new Super Dish and switches to replace the Dish500 Legacy set up I now have. (and pay 'em $5 more per month)

Do I have it figured out?

To get the 10 VOOM channels, you can't use a SuperDish. And it isn't $50 either. They will install a second dish pointed at 61.5 for $100. :( I wish VOOM was on SuperDish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)