942 IR remote vs UHF remote

wineluver

Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Got my 942 a few weeks ago, and so far no problems. I am using it only for my main display and will not be using the "TV2" feature. My 942 is behind a solid door and I want to use remote 2 instead of remote 1. Anyone know how I can use my remote 2 to control my 942? The tech rep says it can't be done.

Just put the 942 in single mode and use the UHF remote.

Trust me, it works. I use two UHF remotes and one IR remote on the same 942. Just have the addresses set correctly.

wineluver said:
Got my 942 a few weeks ago, and so far no problems. I am using it only for my main display and will not be using the "TV2" feature. My 942 is behind a solid door and I want to use remote 2 instead of remote 1. Anyone know how I can use my remote 2 to control my 942? The tech rep says it can't be done.

It can be done - take a look in the manual - look for "Setting up TV1 to Operate in UHF Pro". (At least this is in my 522's manual - I have the our TV1 and TV2 remote set up this way since the 522 is in another room).

Actually, I don't think you even have to make any changes (other than to set the address on your remote and your 942 to the same number). Mine works just fine (and has since the day it was installed - so I'm not sure if the installer did anything or not).

If you are in Dual mode, you switch to Single from the front of the 942 using the mode button. You may have to answer a prompt on TV1

YES IT CAN BE DONE! All you have to make sure is that the 942 is in single mode, not dual. I use my second remote for my lcd in the bedroom with no problem. This was told to me by another tech at dish.

gpflepsen said:
Just put the 942 in single mode and use the UHF remote.

Trust me, it works. I use two UHF remotes and one IR remote on the same 942. Just have the addresses set correctly.

Err, one more thing. Under Setup: Shared View; Select, "Enable View." Failure to do so will leave Remote 2 impotent... and we wouldn't want that. :eek:

SaltiDawg said:
Err, one more thing. Under Setup: Shared View; Select, "Enable View." Failure to do so will leave Remote 2 impotent... and we wouldn't want that. :eek:

Minor detail :)

The point of all these responses... is that it can be done!

How about the other way, can you make both operate off of IR. I've been wanting to replace the UHF remote and a couple of others in the master bedroom with a single universal IR remote.. I'd use an IR sender to get the IR from the masterbedroom to the living room where the 942 is housed. I think the 942 has multiple IR "addresses," doesn't it, so I could have TV1 running off IR address x and TV2 off IR y?

gpflepsen said:
Minor detail :)

The point of all these responses... is that it can be done!

Sure it can be done - but only if certain steps are taken, including the previously unmentioned step that I pointed out. :cool:

n0qcu said:
No, none of the E* dual tuner receivers will operate TV2 with an IR remote.
Wrong I bet, the remote only broadcast UHF but the receiver works with either just get the address right. Not tested as I have no TV2 control (501/811/921).
-Ken

KKlare said:
Wrong I bet, the remote only broadcast UHF but the receiver works with either just get the address right. Not tested as I have no TV2 control (501/811/921).
-Ken

Wrong I double bet. :)

I believe (in the case of the 942) the TV2 can only be controlled by UHF. Both of my addresses are the same.

gpflepsen, you were right. I tried it after your first response and no go. I just read your tip about enable shared view and yup, it works! Thanks.
wineluver

wineluver said:
gpflepsen, you were right. I tried it after your first response and no go. I just read your tip about enable shared view and yup, it works!

Ahh, credit where credit is due. :D

SaltiDawg said:
Ahh, credit where credit is due. :D

word.gif

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts