942 or 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

khiyal

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have an 811 and a 721. I want to combine both features in one and it appears that both 921 and 942 do the job. The tough question is which one? Any insight into which is more stable? I am quite happy with the 811 but the 721 is my 5th replacement in the last 7 months and I cannot afford to keep on losing my recorded programs because of this frequent disk failures.

thanks.

PS: From the picture it appears that 942 has no DVI input, or is it that the hdtv digital input has a dvi convertor?

the 942 has a HDMI DVI output. they supply converter cords if you need one. It works.

Do you mean the output? Should be a HDMI but I do not have one, so not sure. The 921 is a DVI out. It sounds as the 942 is much more stable. I have the 921 and not too many problems but I have not used the OTA tuner yet.

Gutter beat me to the punch I guess.

err. meant output.

Just debating whether to go for the 942 or 921. Price wise they are quite different with 942 more than two times the price of the 921.

So far it appears that 942 is the favoured one. Dish does not offer this for existing custoumers, so it will have to be purchased from a retailer or from Ebay. If I purchase it from ebay, would dish do the installation or would that need to be done by myself? Also, with my existing setup -- 811 and 721 -- and (I think) an SW64 would the same switch be used or a different one? I would remove both 811 and 721 and replace them with the 942.

Dish might install it for a hefty service call of $99.00 . You can easily buy one from www.dishdepot.com and he will offer you a trade in value for your 811 and 721 toward your 942. If you live outside of Florida there is NO TAX on the purchase. Buy the 942 and he will return you a shipping tag to send it back for credit in the same box on your trade ins. In fact no shipping and handeling fee if shipped by ground shipping. I have dealt with Mark at Dishdepot for the last 3 years and he is great to work with. Simply email him and tell him you want to trade in your old receivers.

Also Mark sells the dishproplus twin lnb and the seperator , so you can split the one cable running into your house into two cables for the two tuners on the 942. You might as well get a second dish and have it installed too so you can get Voom hd. It is only $5.00 if you've got the hd pack. Mark will give you a trade in value for your old lnb too. Works the same. I would order it all from Mark and get your self set up.

You will LOVE the 942 and Voom!!! :D

I've been using the 942 for 2 months and I love it. Never tried the 921 to compare, but what I heard is that "the 942 is everything that the 921 was suppose to be"

Thanks for the responses guys. I already have the wiring for three cables coming into my home so I doubt if I would need any specific installation unless 942 refuses to work with dish 500 and I have to get a Superdish, which I highly doubt.

I work for E* tech support, we are strongly trying to push our customers towards the 942, it's a much better box, I have D* right now because of Tivo and I will be switching over here to the 942 once my contract expires...

MattJ2124 said:
I work for E* tech support, we are strongly trying to push our customers towards the 942, it's a much better box, I have D* right now because of Tivo and I will be switching over here to the 942 once my contract expires...

Damn suprised they allow you to sub to Direct TV and work for Dish...
I would think you would get Dish programming free..

My wife REALLY loves TiVo and I have to admit it is a fantastic software program and like anyone else I am going to go with what I feel is better, plus, what they dont know wont hurt them...but I am going to be getting rid of D* soon since the 942 and the VOOM deal...

The 942 is nice. I have 2 Tivo's I upgraded to 340 hour each. They will be both going on ebay soon. I will miss the capacity, but I just don't need them anymore. I am just going to get another 942.

davemanfl said:
Damn suprised they allow you to sub to Direct TV and work for Dish...
I would think you would get Dish programming free..
my son works for dish also
all they give you is the basic pkg for free i think its the top 60

A Good Word for the 921

I have had my 921 for several months and love it. It has not been the buggy monster that many of the early users experienced. The only problem I have seen is it occasionally goes into to stretch mode on the SD channels. This is fixed by a soft reboot. I can't see paying a lot more for a 942 just to avoid this occasional minor problem especially since they both will be obsolete before long. The unit does great on over the air HD and satellite. I have the Voom HD channels and feel they were the best $5 dollars a month I have ever spent.

942 gets my vote. Bought from DishDepot.com. Had for 4 months now. Very happy. The partial zoom that isn't on 921 is why I sent back a 921 in one week. Partial zoom is on the 811 and without it you have overzoom of the picture on the 921 because it only has full zoom. This is only important while watching SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts