942 or 921?

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I am interested in a High Definition DVR. I only plan on using this DVR in one room. Which should I plan for: the 942 or the 921? I would appreciate some guidance, as I reason through my choices.

:cool:

go for the 942, consider the 921 guinea pig that your kid forgot to feed over summer vacation and you found it in the dark corner of his room after he went back to school :eek:

This is a tough decision because both have their Pro & Cons.
Overall both have the same features but below are some key differences.

Code:
                     921                         942
Price (list)         $550                        $700 (new customer lease $250 + 5/mo)
HD output            DVI-I(RGB)/component        HDMI(DVI-D)/component (no RGB) [TV1 only]
SD output            S-Video/composite/RF        composite/RF [TV2 only]
HD/SD switch         Yes but only one or other   No [TV1 only HD] [TV2 only SD]
Pause Buffer         2 hrs                       1 hr
Tuners               2 sat & 1 OTA               2 sat & 1 OTA [OTA on TV1 only]
Recording            Only 2 of 3 at same time    All 3 at same time
NBR feature          No                          Yes
Remote               1 UHF                       2 separate IR & UHF
User Mode            Single                      Single or Dual
Monthly Fees         DVR                         DVR & Dual Recv
Phone line needed    No                          Yes (to avoid Dual Recv Fee)
Software             Buggy                       Stable

Spike said:
Thank you very much.. That is what I needed. Hmmmm? Decisions! $150 for no bugs?

It more than just the bugs, 921 has larger pause buffer, more choices for outputs and doesn't require phone line attached. But 942 can record from all 3 tuners and has name based recording. Dual user mode is something you probably won't need. The 921 can send RF out to another TV but you can't watch both at the same time.

Also no matter which one you choose it will need to be replaced when the new mpeg4 models arrive. Won't know until mid November what DN plans are cincerning replacement costs or which HD channels are going to be mpeg4.

I have had my 942 for 4 months and absoulutly love it! It hasn't given me one problem(knock on wood) and is very nice. It takes a couple weeks to get used to the menus, but overall this machine is great in my book.
Hope this helps

Spike said:
This has suddenly gotten to be a very difficult decision. How buggy is the 921? Is it more so than say an 811?
Personally I've only experienced situations were the unit locks-up or becomes slow to respond. Also gets stuck in stretch mode on some occations. All problems occur totally at random. Others have experienced allot worse see the dbstalk forum. In all situations rebooting fixes the problems (which takes 5 minutes). What really gets people upset is that DN has been unsuccessful in fixing these problems and sometimes introduce new ones through their frequent software updates.

If you buy a 921, you will have nothing but regrets. Just please don't come back here crying after we all told you so.

I have both. Got the 921 when it first came out and suffered through being nothing more than a DISH beta tester. During that time I also went through three 921's (1 Hard drive failure, 1 Tuner failure, 1 modem failure). I still have my 921 attached to an HDTV that the kids use but it doesn't get much heavy use anymore. I simply gave up on it and am holding on to it only in hopes that it will give me an upgrade path to the new MPEG4 receivers when they come out.

As for my 942, it gets a strenuous daily workout of recordings and never misses a beat. You have to experience Name Based Recording to understand how great it is and the 942 does it very well. If you only plan on using it in one room, don't think that the 921 makes more sense. It doesn't. Drop the extra $150 for the 942, you won't be sorry. If not, prepare to suffer the woes of the 921.

If I cry, my tears would never :no be over a piece of equipment. I cry over things that are of more substance. The last time I cried is when they took the Flintstones off the air. I mean, after all... That Barney Rubble, what an actor! :D

Seriously though, I think I am leaning more towards the 942. After reading the posts that you people have so graciously put forth, and weighing it out, it just sounds like the 942 is a better value, even if it is more expensive.
Thanks to all of you for posting. Now, I just have to start saving for one. Donors are welcome! :deadhorse

For what it's worth I have been using the 921 daily for more than a year and a half. As was said, a simple re-boot fixes the occasional problem. I like the machine.

I had my 921 for about 1 year. Just about everytime I want to go into HD mode it was frozen. I had to reboot the machine everytime. This past Saturday was the end and it is sitting in my trash can in about a dozen pieces. I disconneted it and threw it out into the back yard. Spent Sunday morning picking up the pieces so my dog would get hurt stepping on them.

I was thinking about the 942 but I was looking at a couple of threads above this and it seems that a lot of people are having great problems with their 942's!!! I don't know if this is just them or all of the users.
I then said I don't need the PVR function I have only recorded 1 program since I have had then I strated looking at the 811.

I then saw the same thing on the DN HDTV forum, more complaints about malfunctions!!!! Whats a person to so. From what I have seen in this thread the 942 is the best thing since sliced bread!!! So maybe it is just a select few that are having problems.

I may just take the plunge for the 942. Will think about it for a few more hours/days.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts