942 question about OTA scan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tech27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Is there any way to get the 942 to scan both digital and analog OTA channles??? In the local channel setup screen on my reciever it shows the scan for both but will only allow me to scan digital. Is there any way around this? Please help!! I sometimes have too week of a signal to pick up the OTA digital signal and then it seems that I'm SOL for recieving local programs. I had the locals off of 148w but I moved the dish to 61.5 to pick up the voom10. Now i'm just relying on my off air tuner. Any input is welcome. Thanks. :confused:

I may be wrong (my 942 isnt here yet), but I believe that analog OTA isn't working on the 942 yet. I believe I've read that OTA analog is supposed to be added later by sw update.

That makes sense

That makes sense. If that is so, I wonder why they didn't enable it to begin with? It shows you the option to on the screen but won't allow you to move to that option. Strange. Oh well. I did just find out that my local Fox staion 034-01 is broadcasting Upn at 034-02 instead of 22 or 022-01. That means I'm only missing abc and cbs now.

YEah it's not enabled yet, I was wondering the same thing. Of course the channel listings could get real hairy with all those duplicates :)

05-000 (Dish)
05-001 (Digital)
05-002 (Alt-Weather)
05-Ana (Analog)

Thats a lot of channels, especially when you multiply that x 10 local channels :)

SolApathy said:
Thats a lot of channels, especially when you multiply that x 10 local channels :)

Gotta love it though, right? :D When the dust settled mine came up with 32 total channels, counting all the sub channels.

The 942 (got it today!) is alot stronger at picking up locals than the 811 was. I still get all the channels in Charlotte, but where the 811 shows signals in the 70-80s, the 942 shows 95-100 on all of them. I even gained a second NBC out of Columbia that I didnt get on the 811! (Pretty good hike for an indoor antenna to pull in! :yes )

It also seems a bit faster tuning to the local channels.

Really

How far away are you from those channels. What kind of indoor antenna do you use and what is the range? I need an antenna for a 50 mile reach for most stations.

DWS44 said:
The 942 (got it today!) is alot stronger at picking up locals than the 811 was. I still get all the channels in Charlotte, but where the 811 shows signals in the 70-80s, the 942 shows 95-100 on all of them. I even gained a second NBC out of Columbia that I didnt get on the 811! (Pretty good hike for an indoor antenna to pull in! :yes )

It also seems a bit faster tuning to the local channels.
I have two 811s and a 942. The tuner on the 942 locks faster, but I have noticed no appreciable difference with tuner sensitivity in my area; both work equally well. I don't think you can make a direct comparison between the 811 and 942 signal levels, but I am not completely sure. It's too bad these receivers do not display Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).

I have noticed that the 942 is a major improvement over the 811 for pulling in OTA channels and maintaining a lock on the channels. Channel 7 (Kiro/CBS) here in Snohomish, for example, used to come in at around 90% on the 811 with my Silver Sensor and would still drop from time to time. So far, with the 942 the channel comes in at 98% and hasnt dropped once.

Here is the signal strength for the rest of my OTA locals:

004 ABC - 75%
005 NBC - 85%
007 CBS - 99%
009 PBS - 90%
011 UPN - 80%
013 FOX - 80%
022 WB - 80%

Then there are some religious channels that come in at various strengths. So far, I am loving the 942.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts