942 Question

cooper

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
Long Island, NY
Hello all,

My 942 seems to always be on. Even when I turn it off the lights go off on the front panel but there is a Dish Network logo/screen saver that stays on the screen. Normally I wouldn't care but the unit stays hot all the time. I just recently had to swap out my old 942 for a new one because the hard drive crapped out and I'm wondering if the heat/constant spinning of the hard drive had anything to do with it. I've looked through all the option menus as well as the manual and don't see anything that mentions being able to disable this feature(?). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Newer dish receivers cannot be turned off (except for unpluging the unit), it is in standby mode. It is to make downloads and software updates go faster and smoother. Disabling would cause more problems as the updates and downloads would occur when you would turn it back on to view something, then would have to wait.

Do you have plenty of ventilation around it? When I got mine, I went to Lowes and got some big rubber feet to prop it up a little bit to get some extra ventilation around it since it was close to my other AV components.

(BTW...nice avatar! :) )

DWS44 said:
Do you have plenty of ventilation around it? When I got mine, I went to Lowes and got some big rubber feet to prop it up a little bit to get some extra ventilation around it since it was close to my other AV components.

(BTW...nice avatar! :) )

No. It's in a tv cabinet (I know, I know) but I've never had any problems at all with it (ie: overheating) until this incident. Maybe I'll try the rubber feet and see what happens. Thanks.

garys said:
Newer dish receivers cannot be turned off (except for unpluging the unit), it is in standby mode. It is to make downloads and software updates go faster and smoother. Disabling would cause more problems as the updates and downloads would occur when you would turn it back on to view something, then would have to wait.

Why can't they just set up the downloads like a timer. The unit is off until 3am rolls around and it turns itself on does what it needs to do, then goes off again. I'm no penny pincher but it seems like an aweful waste of electricity to keep my tv cabinet warm and cozy 24/7 when I'm not even watching the thing.

cooper said:
Why can't they just set up the downloads like a timer. The unit is off until 3am rolls around and it turns itself on does what it needs to do, then goes off again. I'm no penny pincher but it seems like an aweful waste of electricity to keep my tv cabinet warm and cozy 24/7 when I'm not even watching the thing.

It does not use much energy while in this mode. If you want to save a couple of pennies every month, unplug it when not in use: plug it in at 2:58 and unplug again at 3:05 and see the slight difference in your bill.

garys said:
It does not use much energy while in this mode. If you want to save a couple of pennies every month, unplug it when not in use: plug it in at 2:58 and unplug again at 3:05 and see the slight difference in your bill.

Maybe I'll try that. But the light bulb I'll need to turn on for 7 minutes so I don't fall down the stairs would probably defeat the purpose.:D

I have my 942 in a bedroom armoire and it does run all the time, i had a 510 before and it was very much quieter.
I assume the noise is the fan, is it supposed to go off when it's cooled sufficiently then ? i.e if it doesnt go off, it's running hot and so better ventilation is required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)