942 Return

MichaelG

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Sugar Land, Texas
Looks like I have a bad 942. Right after the install, I noticed some issues with accessing a particular group of channels, for example 351 - StarzW. If you tuned to this channel, the unit would go to a satellite check and tell you it couldn't access 110 tp 18. Eventually you could free the menu up to return to another, accessible channel.

After 2 calls to Advanced tech support and 2 on-site trouble calls, it has been determined that I have a defective 942.

My initial install was May 6th, but I am told now that I have to wait for a "special team" to contact me to issue a RA. Hopefully I will see a fully functional 942 soon because even though it is crippled, it still is pretty cool. If only it had a S-video out with native pass-through, it would be perfect.

1 of my 942s arrived in a banged up box from UPS. During set up got message the Hard Drive was bad. I called Dish and same as you needed to wait for call back. Within 2 days got call back and RA number. Dish shipped new 942 - got it in 2 days FedEx. I sent back old 942 in shipping box. Dish supplied prepaid return shipping label.

If you note which cables go were on bad 942, switching cables to new 942 is easy.

MichaelG

I have 2 - 942s, I had 2 TiVos. Not that there is any thing wrong with TiVos but as I Dish sub the 942s actually work better for me than the TiVos as they have 3 tuners, records HiDef, outputs HD & SD at same time, etc.

The 942s currently do almost everything I want. They are still a few things Dish is said to be working on such as aspect ratios on TV2 and for certain OTA digitals, also some people have issues with caller ID plus there are a few bugs that pop up. But all in all even at this time IMO the 942 is a good receiver. In fact my wife who loved our TiVos actually uses likes the 942s.

Well,

I too like the 942 but the way Dish has omitted native passthrough on the S-Video output on the 811s and then left off S-Video entirely on the 942 really is surprising.

My D* receivers (Samsung) and of course the old Voom STBs, both had S-Video and full native passthrough. I don't use Tivo but use 2 HD/DVD recorders....to me much more useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts