942 to 622 upgrade offer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
I have the upgrade notice on my 942 regarding the impending changeover from MPEG2 to MPEG4 on the Voom channels. I sent an email to Dish exec office about upgrading after calling the number provided which just gets you to the regular CSRs. The lady calls back and states that I am not elegible because I don't subsrcibe to the Voom pack and have already upgraded to a newer HD pack. She states I will get the same channels after 8/15 that I receive now.

WHAT AN IDIOT!

I ask her if she knows the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4 and how will I receive the channels on my 942 after they are MPEG4? I never rec'd an intelligent answer!

So, what's the deal, is Dish leaving those who have a 942 but already have a new HD pack hung out to dry? I do have one 622 so I am good there but I will be loosing the Voom channels on my other receiver next month. :mad: They need to entend the free swap for ALL 942 users!

I have the upgrade notice on my 942 regarding the impending changeover from MPEG2 to MPEG4 on the Voom channels...The lady calls back and states that I am not elegible because I don't subsrcibe to the Voom pack and have already upgraded to a newer HD pack...I will be loosing the Voom channels on my other receiver next month.

I'm confused. Do you or don't you have the Voom channels?

A lot of the first level CSR's don't quite get the concept. Mine didn't when I called in. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they knew what I was talking about and set it up in just a couple of minutes.

Weird thing tho' is they insisted on a tech install. Wouldn't just send a 622 and let me self install. Said they system wouldn't allow it so they sent a tech out with the 622 and then I had to send the 942 back separately. Even they tech couldn't understand what they just wouldn't sent out the unit.

Set up of a 622 must be done by a tech. 211 can be installed by customer. Even going through ceo 622 must be installed by a tech. Maybe has something to do with assuring location of the DRV for the Dish Nazis.

tawhite,

I had a similar experience. The first CSR gave me the "You're not elegible because you upgraded less than 1 year ago (a 622). I called a second CSR, who after expaining the "Special Upgrade Offer" note on my 811, transferred me to the tech support after informing me that I could only upgrade either my 811 (leased) or 942 (owned) because I would exceed the 4 tuner lease limit. The tech support guy found that he needed to transfer me to the MPEG2 to MPEG4 upgrade group AKA the "I'm cancelling Dish" group. That CSR was helpful but couldn't find my 942 on the account. Of course, that is because one of the earlier CSRs had deactivated it. Saturday I called about getting my 942 reactivated and after that was done, the advanced CSR was able to order me a 211 to replace my 811 and a 622 to replace my 942. After the rebate, it will cost me $18, but the CSR did throw in 3 months of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Stars.

One would have thought the CSRs would have been better informed about the MPEG4 upgrade.

Good Luck with CSR Roulette.

I did OK w/ the CSR roullette

I just went thru the same rigamaroll. Follow the advice above and choose the "Tech Support" option (No. 3 I believe) and they will bounce you correctly. I referenced the deal above and got mine for $199 less $20/mo for 10 months and a $25 gift card. That's not too bad.

I also just got the confirmation phone call and they had most of it right. Somehow the day got changed and the date they had changed it to would not work. I think I got that straightened out, though.

John

I'm confused. Do you or don't you have the Voom channels?

A lot of the first level CSR's don't quite get the concept. Mine didn't when I called in. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they knew what I was talking about and set it up in just a couple of minutes.

Weird thing tho' is they insisted on a tech install. Wouldn't just send a 622 and let me self install. Said they system wouldn't allow it so they sent a tech out with the 622 and then I had to send the 942 back separately. Even they tech couldn't understand what they just wouldn't sent out the unit.

I have the Voom channels. they are included in the new HD packs.

They are several HD channels by a specific provider, they are part of the HD pack. Check at www.voom.com/

To clarify a bit more.

1) The Voom channels were originally part of the Voom satellite service, now defunct
2) Majority owned by Rainbow Media. Subsidary company of Cablevision. Dish ended up being offered a percentage (20%?) when they agreed to offer the service on DISH with 10 of the original Voom Channels. This was at a time when there was a family fued between the Dolan's. Dish had already agreed to purchase voom's satellite and uplink facilities. The carriage deal was seperate but ended the opposition of the senior Dolan to the sale of the satellite.
3) When Dish started offering 10 of the Voom channels it was for $5 more and I believe you had to have the older Dish HD offering that was $10. These channels may not exactly match what Voom previously offered, and some have changed over time. E.g Guys and Majestic were later switched to Kung Fu and Film Fest. You originally had to have, or add, a dish that pointed at 61.5 the location of the Voom satellite Rainbow 1 that Dish was in the process of purchasing.
4) Dish launched a new HD package for $20 dollars that included all the channels in their older HD package and their Voom package, plus several other HD channels and 5 more Voom channels about a year and a half ago. The new channels were only made available to there new MPEG4 receivers. Some were really mpeg4 and some not when first offered. I believe all the added stations are now MPEG4, but someone else might be able to verify. They soon discontinued offering the older HD package and voom package to those not already subscribed.
5) The first 10 Voom channels that Dish carried are still MPEG2. They play to convert these 10 to Mpeg4 August 15. Obviously the older voom package is esentially being discontined.

Of the 32 Nationally offered HD channels Dish offers, 15 are Voom. The $20 fee is really an enabling fee. For most of the HD offerings you must have a package with equivalen offerings. For National Geographic HD you must have the AT250 package that offers National Geographic HD. etc. Similarly you must have the equivalent movie package for HBO HD, Showtime HD or Starz HD. Local HD and RSN hd (select game broadcasts) are available. More HD is about to be offered, notably 6 in August and 1 more September 1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts