95 timers just isn't enough!

fuzzfacefrombboard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
Still wishing Dish would increase the number of timers. I'm starting to have to delete shows that are currently on hiatus and hoping I remember when they return!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I agree. Especially on Hopper. They've upgraded everything but the 96 timers / 576 events limit. Add to that you can have up to three Joeys on a single Hopper and that can be filled in no time.

I have OCD, I honestly cannot leave timers active when a show finishes its season. I meticulously review them every Saturday, for the following week.

I have OCD, I honestly cannot leave timers active when a show finishes its season. I meticulously review them every Saturday, for the following week.

How do you remember to add them all back in the fall? Do you keep a list with premiere dates? I would hate to miss a show because I forgot to redo a timer.

It would be great if they raised the limits.

Funny I have 58 timers set and they are mostly shows I watch year round including a lot of old rerun shows on Metv ota station, and I have not met the limit of 96 timers at all. I even set movie timers up a lot since I have 1/2 price Hbo and 3 FREE months of Cinemax,Showtime and Starz. With Prime Time Anytime it takes the place of about 50 timers right there ,that I used to have to set for the networks.(During the regular tv season-not summer time) So I never get close to the 96 timer limit.

To get around the 96/576 issue, i just go into the PTAT folder each day or so and save select shows instead of creating timers. this really cut down my timer list. YMMV, especially if you don't record a lot of network shows. just FYI.

How do you remember to add them all back in the fall? Do you keep a list with premiere dates? I would hate to miss a show because I forgot to redo a timer.

It would be great if they raised the limits.

I go on Zap2it listings where I have an account setup, it remembers my favorites and shows me a guide for only the channels I want shown. When I get on there to check out the next week, I just scroll down each day and note whats going on on what channels. I do this for two reasons, I use my list to check and make sure a show I have a timer setup for is actually recording that week and not being skipped for some odd reason, and two I use it to look for "New" shows which are marked clearly on Zap2it. I used to use the same process but paid for a tv guide, I decided to dump the tv guide subscription.

Here is an example of what my Zap2it looks like, I could actually just use it to look for premiers only, but I dont trust auto timers enough to not check behind them as well :). I just note what shows should be recording by day and channel for a week on a notepad, then check my timers.

untitled_zpsf5558733.png

Funny I have 58 timers set and they are mostly shows I watch year round including a lot of old rerun shows on Metv ota station, and I have not met the limit of 96 timers at all. I even set movie timers up a lot since I have 1/2 price Hbo and 3 FREE months of Cinemax,Showtime and Starz. With Prime Time Anytime it takes the place of about 50 timers right there ,that I used to have to set for the networks.(During the regular tv season-not summer time) So I never get close to the 96 timer limit.

I guess some of us just have more programs we want to record MikeD-C05. I am only up to 70 timers now on my two primary Hoppers. My two primary Hoppers are set up with identical timers so I have a backup if one Hopper craps out or if a timer goofed up on one of my Hoppers the other Hopper will have the program. When I was on the VIP722s I always had the 96 issue, but mostly the 576 limit gave me the most headaches. With the Hopper system I now set up one of my Hoppers with Sports programs only. That has helped me out. I keep my timer list cleaned up of programs that I am sure will not have another season. I think it is time for Dish to raise the 96/576 limit.

I wish I could put in duplicates, but I use OTA on both a lot etc...

Thats a good idea thought. I guess if I managed I could record OTA on one and hd lil on the other as the backup, then create a folder called backups. OMG, you may have created a messy idea for me LOL

I wish I could put in duplicates, but I use OTA on both a lot etc...

Thats a good idea thought. I guess if I managed I could record OTA on one and hd lil on the other as the backup, then create a folder called backups. OMG, you may have created a messy idea for me LOL

LOL, no messy idea! You don't need any more folders. I just keep both Hoppers caught up. After we watch recordings on one Hopper I just delete the recordings on the other Hopper whenever I use that Hopper again which usually is the same day that night when we go to bed. One primary Hopper is in the Great Room and the other primary Hopper is in our Bedroom. When I add a timer on one primary Hopper I make sure I add it to the other primary Hopper too. There are only two timers that are really super important and they are two Soap programs from CBS. On one primary Hopper I have both Soap timers set with the satellite local channel and the other primary Hopper I have both Soap timers set using the OTA tuner. Just another backup to keep the Mrs happy happy!!

I guess the move would be to create the primary setup on the bedroom, and backup on the living room. That way if there is a tuner conflict why we are watching live tv, I could just cancel that one recording. Ill have to look into it.

I have about 75 timers set, only a couple of them from seek & record and haven't had a problem yet with running out of timers/events. But I think it is because I only have timers set from PTAT of the dramas. For the other broadcast stuff I either watch it within the 8 days or just miss it. Of course, right now I don't use PTAT as there is so little on broadcast that I find viewable.

I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't pick up all the new seek & record events for my boxing as there is so much of it on.

I go on Zap2it listings where I have an account setup, it remembers my favorites and shows me a guide for only the channels I want shown. When I get on there to check out the next week, I just scroll down each day and note whats going on on what channels. I do this for two reasons, I use my list to check and make sure a show I have a timer setup for is actually recording that week and not being skipped for some odd reason, and two I use it to look for "New" shows which are marked clearly on Zap2it. I used to use the same process but paid for a tv guide, I decided to dump the tv guide subscription.

Here is an example of what my Zap2it looks like, I could actually just use it to look for premiers only, but I dont trust auto timers enough to not check behind them as well :). I just note what shows should be recording by day and channel for a week on a notepad, then check my timers.

I kinda do what you do accept I use http://www.titantv.com/ and print my favorite list for the week every Saturday. It is easier for me to use a printed copy to check/add the upcoming week timers in my two primary Hoppers and update as required. I also every morning use my printed favorite list again to check and make sure the timers are correct for that day in both Hoppers.

I guess the move would be to create the primary setup on the bedroom, and backup on the living room. That way if there is a tuner conflict why we are watching live tv, I could just cancel that one recording. Ill have to look into it.

Yep, you got it. That happens sometimes. Comes in handy with two Hoppers set up with identical timers. But we rarely watch live TV anymore so that doesn't happen too often. I call both Hoppers primary. To me the Hopper I am watching is the primary Hopper. I guess that sounds a little confusing.

I use mostly Seek and Record (Dish Pass) timers, makes things more flexible and it reduces my timers and event list (if a timer has many events it will only go out a few rolling days to keep the event list from filling up).

I have about 75 timers set, only a couple of them from seek & record and haven't had a problem yet with running out of timers/events. But I think it is because I only have timers set from PTAT of the dramas. For the other broadcast stuff I either watch it within the 8 days or just miss it. Of course, right now I don't use PTAT as there is so little on broadcast that I find viewable.

I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't pick up all the new seek & record events for my boxing as there is so much of it on.

I use to set timers for our favorite PTAT programs primarily for backup purposes, but I have grown to trust PTAT. So now, I don't waste any timers for PTAT programs. I leave PTAT turned on in both primary Hoppers for all four networks and all eight days. Sometimes when we are caught up watching all of our recordings we will take a look in the PTAT folder and find something to watch. We have discovered some programs that were good, so we now save and watch them all the time. I don't ever miss one of our favorite PTAT programs because the 8 days ran out. Every morning I go into the PTAT folders and check the previous day recordings for our favorite programs and save them to the My Recordings folder. I don't ever set a seek & record timer except to set a one time timer for a program that I had to seek and find it.

I use mostly Seek and Record (Dish Pass) timers, makes things more flexible and it reduces my timers and event list (if a timer has many events it will only go out a few rolling days to keep the event list from filling up).

That sounds like a good idea dare2be. I am going to try that out. Some of them there programs have up to 50 events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts