Status
Please reply by conversation.

ralphLauren

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
NY
Hi guys,

Been on 97W (Galaxy 19) for a while now and never had a problem. I have been out of town and haven't watched tv for a month. Just got back and was trying to turn on my tv and all of a sudden the signal quality of my 97W has gone down drastically. The signal strength is still around 70 but the quality has gone down to like 12, from around 40. I can barely see anything now. Every once a while I'll see a flash of my channels and sort of make out the logo or the pictures on the screen and then it disappears and nothing happens. I haven't moved my dish or anything. I use a motorized which has never failed, been through snow, rains, just name it. Like I said my signal strenght is still on point, just that the quality has dropped. What could be wrong guys ? I can't even get any of my transponders to have good signal quality. Or are they doing some repair works on the bird up in the sky or something.

thanks guys.

ralph

Ralph,
There are many folks in here who will provide you with a detailed answer, better than mine but...it sounds like your dish may be slightly out of alignment. I have an SG2100 motor on my 30 dish and have had to adjust the east-west setting on mine several times. Most of the time it's off only a couple of degrees. You might also check your elevation setting as well. It doesn't take much and the signal quality drops dramatically. Hope this helps...lets see what other answers you get as well. Blind

Sounds like the winds from a storm might have moved the dish slightly out of alignment. This can happen from time to time with a motorized setup.

Hmm, i doubt that...but who knows? The other satellites - Galaxy 18 (123W), Galaxy 25 (93W) and Galaxy 28(89W)- from which i get my FTA are still intact. Why then will Galaxy 19 be the only one off/misaligned ?

On taking a closer look, I'm seeing something ...I see my transponders correspond to those on lyngsat here: Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat, but not those on the satellite guys' FTA list here: SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

For example my Belarus TV is set up with transponder
11898, which corresponds to what's listed on lyngsat. But on the satelliteguys' list Belarus TV is on transponder 11897

Could this be an issue ? The numbers are pretty close..just a dfference of 1

thanks,
ralph

no
LNB's can "drift" 1 or 2 mhz off the frequency due to age and especially when doing a blind scan. If the frequency is + - 3 from what is published, then there is no issues

I'm kin of having the same problem, but I think that is the motor itself that misaligned first for 10 degrees and now is only for 2 degrees!!! that was after a storm and all of the rest of the system is aligned but the rotor it self is off by 2 degrees W. and also noticed a slight movement (if done by hand) from left to right.

thanks. Now does it mean that if the signal strength is strong enough (which in my case is about 65%, same strength i've always had on my viewsat Ultra) and the quality is low (about 12%, as opposed to 40% which I used to have), then it is the transponder that has issues ? I guess a strong enough signal strength means the dish is aimed right, right ?

Signal strength refers to the strength of the connection between your LNB and your receiver. Signal quality is the signal you are receiving from whatever bird you are aimed at. On my Viewsat Ultra Lite (pretty much the same as your Ultra) I need at least 30% quality before I can get good video that isn't choppy. Between 25%-30% Q is where the video starts cutting out a lot.

You need a good signal strength, but that doesn't mean you are receiving anything. You could aim the dish at the ground and you would probably still have 65% signal strength.

I would check your cable connections. These run hotter than a regular antenna and will literally rust/burn the center conductor off rather quickly if they get a little moist.

your coax can have squirrel chew spots and the wire rusted out that way as well

If you have a switch installed they can go bad over time. Use a f-81 barrel connector and see what you get without the switch

you think it could be a switch problem ? I thought if the switch was out you wouldn't get any quality at all, and won't see any pictures. right ? In my case I'm getting 12% quality and the pictures come in bursts once every 30 seconds or so.

switches burn out.

If you have just a standard Linear LNB. no switch is required

If you are trying to connect with other LNBs a new switch may be needed.

Try without it and see

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)