97W ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

icu1954

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
lower alabama
I have an extreme ll ku lnb mounted as a sidekick on my 6ft dish.I have skewed it pretty good.I can pick up 95W...83W...87W and just about any ku band perfect...but no 97W.I have skewed and blind scanned until i am blind..what could be my problem?

I know from trying that before that 97W with a LNBF like that and trying to side mount it on a 6ft, you have to be spot on. Just be off a mm and lose it. I gave up that venture.

when i do ku on a bud, after i get about 8 inches from center, i start having a rough time. how far off center of dish are you?

When you're getting one of the other Ku satellites, what C band sat are you aimed at?
As you move off the focal point, the focus isn't as sharp(becomes distorted), which may allow adjacent satellite interference along with decreased gain. (I think Kodaz was meaning the distance from the focal point to the offset Ku, not where the Ku is aimed at)
Aiming of the dish is critical at Ku as the beamwidth is much narrower at Ku than C.
1) Might try mounting the Ku at the focal point, and the C band to the side.(Thinking the sharpness of the C band focus will not be distorted as greatly as the much shorter wavelength Ku(?))
2) do as I did:

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 152
When you're getting one of the other Ku satellites, what C band sat are you aimed at?
As you move off the focal point, the focus isn't as sharp(becomes distorted), which may allow adjacent satellite interference along with decreased gain. (I think Kodaz was meaning the distance from the focal point to the offset Ku, not where the Ku is aimed at)
Aiming of the dish is critical at Ku as the beamwidth is much narrower at Ku than C.
1) Might try mounting the Ku at the focal point, and the C band to the side.(Thinking the sharpness of the C band focus will not be distorted as greatly as the much shorter wavelength Ku(?))
2) do as I did:
i can get any ku sat when i am aimed at a cband sat from 83W to 101W with no problem,ku lnb mounted on the left side facing dish.:rolleyes:

well, you got me then.
97W one of the easiest for me to get.
i am using fss lnb . my hottest tp is 11929 (fss scans that tp in at a dif number but it is that tp)
I have had my center lnb at 103w and was still able to get 97w in on my 8' unimesh. (no longer use that setup)
I have never tried the dead center location for 97w.

If your Cband (feed at primary focal point) is on 101W, the Ku can't be on the same satellite. But it probably could be on 95W. 6° offset from the focal point. So for 97W Ku the C band would be receiving 103W. What angular difference do you have? Increasing angle = less efficiency due to focus distortion.

I've seen threads/pictures where others have drilled a hole in the scalar to get the Ku LNBF closer to the primary focus. Placing the Ku LNBF less than 6°, maybe 2 or 4 degrees from the orbital location the c band receives. That would result in less distortion of the focus. (Tried searching to no avail)

In order to be looking at the same orbital location in both C and Ku a 741 or dmx621, or for the best, an dual band orthomode feed horn would be required. THREAD

Last edited:
If your Cband (feed at primary focal point) is on 101W, the Ku can't be on the same satellite. But it probably could be on 95W. 6° offset from the focal point. So for 97W Ku the C band would be receiving 103W. What angular difference do you have? Increasing angle = less efficiency due to focus distortion.

I've seen threads/pictures where others have drilled a hole in the scalar to get the Ku LNBF closer to the primary focus. Placing the Ku LNBF less than 6°, maybe 2 or 4 degrees from the orbital location the c band receives. That would result in less distortion of the focus. (Tried searching to no avail)

In order to be looking at the same orbital location in both C and Ku a 741 or dmx621, or for the best, an dual band orthomode feed horn would be required. THREAD
that's what i am receiving,when i am centered on 101W cband i get 95W ku...and so on but centered on 103W will not get me 97W,do i need to move the ku lnb from being aim at dead center of my dish and just offset it..i have been into fta for a while but i am new to this ku sidekick thing and would like to learn more about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)