A $5 26" KU dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Ok now I have you attention. I bought this snow dish at a True Value hardware store for like $5. I put some foil on it and I believe I was receiveing IA 6 today around 10:30 AM EST or so. I recieved some eduation show and there was some womens basetball on another transponder.

All analog. The picture quality was not much to talk about BUT it a start.

Ken

Attachments

• snowdish-2.jpg
    snowdish-2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 255
  • picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 238
Try covering the whole dish in aluminum foil. That way the signal has the whole dish as a concentrator.

How about painting over the plastic?

Nice! In other threads, people have talked about painting designs on their metal dishes. If I remember correctly, they said that using a matt finish would not interfere with the dish's performance.

I wonder if you could substitute a matt paint finish for the aluminium foil?

I thought of a conductive paint. I thought about grinding up a copper pipe into latex paint and see if that would work? Not sure how much copper I would need.

I want to stop by a paint store and see if they cary anything.

Ken

Othea said:
Nice! In other threads, people have talked about painting designs on their metal dishes. If I remember correctly, they said that using a matt finish would not interfere with the dish's performance.

I wonder if you could substitute a matt paint finish for the aluminium foil?

have you thought of glueing reflective mylar film to the surface of the dish? it doesnt crinkle like tin foil, and is available as a very thin film at most art stores, or as a 25' x 4' sheet on a roll at indoor gardening shops.

I have a $2 space blanket from Wal-Mart. I will try to find some time to see what that does. I cut it for my umbrulla experment that did not work out. I have another umbrulla that I will cut up and make it flater to see if it works?

Ken

drhydro said:
have you thought of glueing reflective mylar film to the surface of the dish? it doesnt crinkle like tin foil, and is available as a very thin film at most art stores, or as a 25' x 4' sheet on a roll at indoor gardening shops.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)