A channel realignment for DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
The last time DirecTV did a channel realignment was the summer of 1999. It was not long after DirecTV acquired USSB (that was in 1998), and later in 1999 in came public service and foreign channels. (If dates are incorrect, feel free to set me right.)

Thinking about the reports on HD channel additions at both local and most especially nationally cable-related levels, I'm thinking another channel realignment could happen.

As of now, HD channels for cable fare is the 70s-90s, with premiums HBO and Showtime mirrored in their SD-assigned area well into the 500s.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Because we're going to get individual channels that will add up. A&E HD, Bravo HD, CNN HD, USA Network HD, Sci-Fi Channel HD, National Geographic HD, MHD (which is MTV, VH1, CMT), Food Network HD, HGTV HD, numerous channels in connections to the companies that own those channels, as well as RSNs for sports, et al. And let us not forget those premium channels in HD (Starz! Encore, Cinemax, The Movie Channel)!

Your thoughts?

Well if they continue to add the HD versions of EXISTING SD channels as they are now doing - as NESN-HD comes in on 623 (same as NESN-SD), and the HD lils come in on the same channel number as the SD lils, and channel 101 is BOTH SD & HD, I think that's the way it will continue for now.

There was an alignment after the 1999 one wasn't there? I have had D* since 2001 and I thought there was one since then, maybe I am wrong.

Your newer receivers go to a 4 digit number now, so if they wanted to the could put all the HD in the 1000-1100 range or something like that, nothing over the 700's is used anymore either (except the real old recievers).

There are alot of numbers available thru out each 100 count.

Jimbo

They should do a channel realignment anyways since their current numbering is hardly logical and related programing isn't grouped together quite as well as it could be.

I seem to remember reading that maybe the new HD networks would be 4-digit (1000 +) numbered. I'm probably off somewhere in that statement though.....

What they should do is give the HD channels the same channel number as the SD channels and place a digit in front of that number. For example the original 342 would become 1342 if its in HD form.

I seem to remember reading that maybe the new HD networks would be 4-digit (1000 +) numbered. I'm probably off somewhere in that statement though.....

No, the report about D* On Demand was where you heard the Channel 1,000 plan. The On Demand channels are going to be the channel plus 1,000, so Sci-Fi On Demand will be 1,244, for example. Some have speculated that the HD channels might be on the same channel position as the SD version, with the HD appearing first, as happens now with the locals and RSNs. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Yes, the channel grouping of D* is about the worst there is. I'm used to it, but explain the logic of CNN being in the upper 200s and FoxNews being 360. They need to group all news together, all music together and so on. That way I can block all the darned shopping channels at once!!!

Yes, the channel grouping of D* is about the worst there is. I'm used to it, but explain the logic of CNN being in the upper 200s and FoxNews being 360. They need to group all news together, all music together and so on. That way I can block all the darned shopping channels at once!!!

IIRC, CNN has a deal to be placed where they are.

I would guess that they'll do to national HD what they do with HD locals.

They should do a channel realignment anyways since their current numbering is hardly logical and related programing isn't grouped together quite as well as it could be.

They should take all those channels that have become "just another rerun channel" and group them together and give them their own category in the program guide. That way I could easily skip them from my favorites in favor of some unique programming.

Expect to see a newly-numbered block of channels based on "HD" after the first rollout of new HD channels. Maybe from 100-250 or something like that, with the current channels in that area moving. When they make a move, they'll do it with a window of numbers so that as they add new channels, they won't have to do it for years again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)