A Complicated 622 Upgrade mission accomplished (kind of long post...)

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
This was a case of upgrade all my "owned" equipments.

Over the years, as a big Dish follower, I "invested" quite bit in Dish equipment: three 921s (one was replaced with 942 under warranty few weeks ago by Dish), two 811s and one 721. When Dish first announced "upgrade program", I was excited. Then, I found out the whole "lease" cloud on top of that, which really didn't make sense to do that at all.... I decided to wait to see if any other option coming to the play. Soon, the "retail upgrade" was unofficially announced. I called dish and hoping for some good news. Well, out of my surprises, that was not a "sweet" deal either. I was told the cost for 622 will be $699+$99 install with $200 credit. Plus, there will be 18 months of programming commitment, and out of all the equipment that I have, Dish only upgrade two 921s. That certainly "killed" all of my high hopes for reasonable upgrade. I was unhappy and just about to fire up a email to CEO at Dish to vent my frustrations........

Then, it comes the price reduction for 622! So I figured that basically covered my $200 credit, plus I don't have to pay $99 install. Not a bad deal if you look that way. I can always sell the 921s for whatever it worth. With that in mind, I called my long time trustworth "supplier" Dishdepot. I decided just replace all six units with 622s and I got a great deal on 622s plus with option to trad-in all my boxes for a resonable credit. Early this week, all six 622s arriverred. Now is the busy time to get things ready and call the Dish to get them activated. (BTW, at same time, I also got all the HDMI/HDMI and HDMI/DVI cables to make all the installation more unified with different configurations of TV sets. Their pisce and service are excellent).

First evening, I connected four out of six 622s and went through all software upgrade, got on the phone. A brief hold on line, I got a lady on the phone. She was somewhat nice initially, went through the first unit activation. Then, the trouble started as I asked why I did not see the mpeg-4 channels. She asked me if I had D1000, I told here that I don't need one since I had SuperDish 121 and 61.5. Of cause, she disagree. Even worth, now she told me that since I am activating 622 without D1000, she is going to put additional $6/month change on my account! What kind of s$%t she is pulling out her a@#!!!!! I was mad. After few round of exchange words, I told her just forget it and I will deal with someone else. Then hang up and dialed again.....

That was a long hold on the phone this time around. After few transfer, I did get a very plesent lady on the line. She seems very knowledge for what she is doing (that is what CSR supposed to be). After few minutes, she had all the informations about the receivers that I want to activation and ones that will come off my accounts. And ensured me that new channels will be available, plus due to the package change, I will save $5/month. I was happy, only to find out that Dish's computer was down at the time, activation was failed. But, she is very nice and told me that she will keep trying, but it might take few hours before activation got through. Well, there was really nothing I can do at this point. It was way into the night, I might as well get myself ready for bed. (wife and kid had already given up the waiting and went to bed :) Half hour later, all four 622s came to live!

Second evening, I got other two 622s ready and called Dish for activation. This time, a very nice gentelman took my call. Again, great knoledge and service. Within few minutes. Those are came to live. While I was checking for all the channels, I figured just ask him about "retail upgrade" since he seems very helpful and knowledge. This propably counts for the biggest surprise out of all the communication that I had with Dish fince day one: He looked up my account, put me on hold for a few inutes to talk with surpervisor, then came back and told me that Dish has approved for me to send in 921s and 942 (three in total) for $200/ea credit. He gave me the RA#s and instructed me to wait for empty boxes from Dish in few days. Thecredit will be on my account within 30 days upon recieving the units by Dish!!!! I don't what happened that I was treaded so nice by Dish, maybe my "bigger spender" status finally kicked in :D

That really concluded a sweet upgrade project for me!

So far so good as far as the 622 performence. Only two of them had rebooted one when I click the "select" to wake up the unit from standby........

Just want to share this experiences with all of you.

Last edited:
yes the 200 rebate for trading in your owned 942 / 921's for an owned 622 is real. I know many people are having trouble getting the rebate however to these folks I say to keep on trying and you will get your rebates.

This is an AMAZING deal from Dish Network, when I get back from Team Summit I am going to upgrade ALL of my receivers to 622's except for one.

Do you really have six HDTVs in your house? Any SDTV you could probably run from TV2 and not need so many 622s...

Regardless, I :bow to your obvious love for technology.

Last edited: