A couple of install questions..

w0fms

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Iowa
I just got TurboHD Silver installed (in spite of the $7/mo increase coming) today.

I got 2 211K's and already have one setup with an EHD (DVR). Unfortunately the installer installed the dish on the side of my house instead of where I wanted and the eave at the side of the house is blocking 110 W. I didn't notice this until I went looking for HDNET...About an hour and a half after they left. Even after I called on the EHD.

Dish told me they'd try to get someone out here right away to fix it but would need to call me back. That was supposed to be over an hour ago. It's late and it's snowing now, so that won't happen. I'm not even sure I want it to happen.
As it is I have 6 holes to fill and a piece of vinyl siding to replace due to the installers ineptness.

I'm thinking of reinstalling it myself on a pole that I had a single dish DirecTV system on that's only a few feet away from where they put the dish-- but enough to clear the eve.

Will a Dish 1000.2 fit on the same size pole as an 18" pan fit on?

If I reinstall myself, I assume I only have to aim 119.. can I use a standard signal meter to do this?

Also, there are some PI channels I'd be interested in getting that are only on 61.5/148. If I were to add a second dish (on the fourth switch position on the 1000.2), would I likely get those channels? I also wonder since the dish LNBF's are bandstacked and I have none like that in my collection.. if I bought just a LNBF for this purpose somewhere would it fit on a generic 18" or 24" reflector?

Thanks for the help.

Fred

I just got TurboHD Silver installed (in spite of the $7/mo increase coming) today.

I got 2 211K's and already have one setup with an EHD (DVR). Unfortunately the installer installed the dish on the side of my house instead of where I wanted and the eave at the side of the house is blocking 110 W. I didn't notice this until I went looking for HDNET...About an hour and a half after they left. Even after I called on the EHD.

Dish told me they'd try to get someone out here right away to fix it but would need to call me back. That was supposed to be over an hour ago. It's late and it's snowing now, so that won't happen. I'm not even sure I want it to happen.
As it is I have 6 holes to fill and a piece of vinyl siding to replace due to the installers ineptness.

I'm thinking of reinstalling it myself on a pole that I had a single dish DirecTV system on that's only a few feet away from where they put the dish-- but enough to clear the eve.

Will a Dish 1000.2 fit on the same size pole as an 18" pan fit on?

If I reinstall myself, I assume I only have to aim 119.. can I use a standard signal meter to do this?

Also, there are some PI channels I'd be interested in getting that are only on 61.5/148. If I were to add a second dish (on the fourth switch position on the 1000.2), would I likely get those channels? I also wonder since the dish LNBF's are bandstacked and I have none like that in my collection.. if I bought just a LNBF for this purpose somewhere would it fit on a generic 18" or 24" reflector?

Thanks for the help.

Fred

Yes a 1000.2 will fit on the same pole.

As long as the LNB is Dish Pro compatible any dish should work.

The installer is coming to fix tomorrow (yes on Sunday) so hopefully I won't have to do the reinstall myself, but the dish will have to be moved regardless. The installers who came only had two days of Dish installation experience... they were DirecTV installers for 3 years but DirecTV apparently elminated subcontractors in our area. I wonder why...:mad: They peaked on 119 and didn't even realize the house was obstructing 110W.

I'll have to see if I can dig up a deal on the Dish Pro LNBF somwhere. I think I have a "D" shaped arm dish in my collection. I think I understand how this all works. Now that I realize it's a combination of bandstacking and disqec switching it all makes sense.

Much has changed in the 6 years I've done without DBS. I'm actually quite impressed with the hardware (and I'm a EE who does this sort of stuff).. now if Dish can get the installers and the technical support/CSRs under control..........
they all seem fairly clueless unless you can find the right person in tech support.

What would be better to point to 61.5 or 148? Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Fred

What do you need off 148?

Dish has mostly removed everything from 148.

Do you perhaps mean 129?

The 1000.2 gets 129 on the left most lnb looking from behind.

Long story as to why (actually I said in another thread), but I'd like to get KBS World and according to Lyngsat and other sources it's not on 110, 119 or 129. I understand it's a PI and others are reported to get it with the HD packs. It's on 118 (which I don't want to mess with obviously) and 61.5, 148W.

I'm starting to wonder, however if putting up a 4' dish on 129 wouldn't be a better idea. (I do have them I do FTA as a hobby-- legitimate FTA) I'm having horrible dropout issues on 129.. and most of my TurboHD pack is there, of course.:eek: If this is as good as it gets I'm not impressed.

Fred

129 should be fixed in about 45 days.

Yeah, I hope that helps. Especially because they are going to charge me $7/mo (28%) more for the privilege of actually delivering what they promised to now. Only days after I signed up... too... thanks Charlie...

But right now losing lock every 45 minutes, the fact the installers and Dish Network both repeatedly lie to me makes me think that after the contract is up (or maybe at the "breakeven point" of the refunded install $99 charge) I'm going to quit. And I'm not even into a full week of service. The install is terrible.. the Dish is TOUCHING the house since the repoint.

(Sorry about the non-techincal rant: )

For one, I've had to have someone here the whole day waiting for the installers for four days. Assuming they fix the install on Saturday it took them a whole week to do a 1.5 hour job. Even the Cable Co in town wasn't that bad.. and when they were you got a credit and not a promise of one.

I've been lied to repeatedly, the system doesn't work worth a crap and credits I got promised "got lost in the system with no notes". They don't even have my mailing address correct in the system and I've corrected it four times.

Any company that tells there CSRs to give the customer credits ($20 no less) for problems but not actually does it deserves to lose customers. Dish Network are thieves and liars and I think I made one of the biggest mistakes of recent memory choosing to go with them.

I had DirecTV 6 years ago (before I moved to the house which I had C-band..) and did I have problems? Yes. Did they fix them? Yes. Did they follow through with promises... Yes.

I can see how Direct can charge $5/mo more across the board. It's worth it not to have the hassle and incompetence.

Fred

Put up the second dish and point it at 61.5 and run it into the input on the 1k.2. 61.5 is a mirror of 129 except for the locals each carries. If your locals aren't on 129 then cover up that lnb feedhorn with a cut open soda can and run your checkswitch. It shouldn't pick up 129 and 61.5 will have your HD all in MPEG-4. If you have 129 and 61.5 on the same switch and you lose signal on either one, they both go out, it's a software problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)