A Couple Of Installation/LOS Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I have installers coming over on Thursday afternoon and I have some questions. First, the window for LOS that I have is a little small in that the location I scouted out with Dishpointer AR is JUST over the tree line. It's this spot or none as I have trees all over the place on the South and West sides of my property (originating from my neighbors yards). Is there a waiver I can sign stating that yes I'm aware that my location is borderline and someday I MAY have issues? Also, just to be sure, I assumed that with a multi-lnb setup that they would be aiming for the 101 satellite area. Is that correct?

Also, the spot I picked that I had to pick is in the front yard garden so they would have to run some cable about 20 yards to my house, and then from the front of my house to the back to link up with my in home cabling. With that being the case, is it like cable companies where they send a contractor later to bury the lines? How would that work? The reason I chose that spot was because I think even up on the front corner spot of my roof, it'd be too close to the trees to get over them. I don't know for sure because I didn't get up on the roof...but I'm guessing.

Depending upon where your local sd channels come from, 101 or 119, you may need a line of sight to 119. Directv requires it even if you don't care about your sd locals. If that's the case, you may need to hire a local installer who won't care about 119 if you don't. As for the cable, it varies, but most will bury short lengths. I doubt they will do 60 ft though, not for free anyways. It doesn't hurt to ask. It's possible the roof install will work depending upon los of course, and if he has to leave the ladder to do it. Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it turns out.
Edit: I just checked the transponder maps and your sd locals are on 101, so there should be no issues with needing los to 119.

Depending upon where your local sd channels come from, 101 or 119, you may need a line of sight to 119. Directv requires it even if you don't care about your sd locals. If that's the case, you may need to hire a local installer who won't care about 119 if you don't. As for the cable, it varies, but most will bury short lengths. I doubt they will do 60 ft though, not for free anyways. It doesn't hurt to ask. It's possible the roof install will work depending upon los of course, and if he has to leave the ladder to do it. Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it turns out.
Edit: I just checked the transponder maps and your sd locals are on 101, so there should be no issues with needing los to 119.

If I'm required to have the 119 installed, I'm screwed. It's way too far into the trees, and lower too. I'm not sure where the Columbus, Ohio SD locals are located. Anyone know?

Which birds are most of the channels on now? Looking at "The List" things seem different than I remember. I thought most channels were on the 99, 101, and 103. Looks like they are now mostly on the 101? Is that right?

Did you see the last line of my reply? Your local sd channels are on 101, which is where most of the core sd programming is. The hd channels are on 99c and 103ca/cb. Your local hd channels are on either 99s or 103s.

Did you see the last line of my reply? Your local sd channels are on 101, which is where most of the core sd programming is. The hd channels are on 99c and 103ca/cb. Your local hd channels are on either 99s or 103s.

No, I didn't until you posted again. That's great news. I think with just needing the 99, 101, and 103 I can get los from the front yard. Only problem would be cabling getting buried and bribing my wife with enough greenery to hide the dish from the street!

Bad news, directv requires a 10 degree window from all sides of the satellites. Without that window for tree movement and growth an installer is going to NLOS it unless they don't care. If it doesn't have that window it's considered a failed install and goes against the tech

Bad news, directv requires a 10 degree window from all sides of the satellites. Without that window for tree movement and growth an installer is going to NLOS it unless they don't care. If it doesn't have that window it's considered a failed install and goes against the tech

Even if I sign a waiver? I fully understand that it's a tight fit.

There is no waiver. Back in the day you could sign off and be fine, now, it's either good or not. If you do have a tech turn you away you can always call a local installing company and have them take care of you. They're not held to the same standards as HSP and O&O markets.

Completely agreeing with Hutch as I am an HSP Tech too, but if you dont have a good window you really dont want it installed. I say that because most likely the trees or whatever will grow enough to block your signal entirely or to the degree that you cant watch tv before the end of your 2 year contract. THus is why we need the window.

Completely agreeing with Hutch as I am an HSP Tech too, but if you dont have a good window you really dont want it installed. I say that because most likely the trees or whatever will grow enough to block your signal entirely or to the degree that you cant watch tv before the end of your 2 year contract. THus is why we need the window.

Ordinarily I'd agree but in my case the window that is open is above mature trees, not in between where they would only have to grow horizontally. I don't think these trees are going to get taller quickly. But yeah, I think I'm going to have to plead with the installer to help me out!

Ordinarily I'd agree but in my case the window that is open is above mature trees, not in between where they would only have to grow horizontally. I don't think these trees are going to get taller quickly. But yeah, I think I'm going to have to plead with the installer to help me out!

I wish you luck but like kitty said, you don't want to have it installed if its that close. You have no idea how annoying it is to get half way through a show then the wind changes direction and it stops and starts searching

Do us a favor, you said you have an app on your phone. Take a screen shot of your phone app where you're planning on putting the dish so we have a better idea how close it really is

Do us a favor, you said you have an app on your phone. Take a screen shot of your phone app where you're planning on putting the dish so we have a better idea how close it really is

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is no way to swing the dish to the left a bit. Where it is showing 103 is very close to that tree, I would not put it in. Moving the dish to the left would open it up for sure.

As to the burial 20' is included beyond that it is a charge or the customer can do it.

There is no way to swing the dish to the left a bit. Where it is showing 103 is very close to that tree, I would not put it in. Moving the dish to the left would open it up for sure.

As to the burial 20' is included beyond that it is a charge or the customer can do it.

This first shot is a little bit to the left. Any further left and I'm hitting my sidewalk.

image.jpg

The second shot is a view from right under my roof. So if you picture the actual roof being at least 20 feet higher, maybe it works there?

image.jpg

I don't think you'll even get a solid lock on the 103 to Vern activate an HD receiver. I was gonna say mov to the left also but kitty already said that. Without being able to see the actual property it's hard to say for sure you don't have LOS but judging by those I'd say you're better off with cable my friend. Dish network is gonna be ever worse since their birds sit lower than ours. Sorry :(

I don't think you'll even get a solid lock on the 103 to Vern activate an HD receiver. I was gonna say mov to the left also but kitty already said that. Without being able to see the actual property it's hard to say for sure you don't have LOS but judging by those I'd say you're better off with cable my friend. Dish network is gonna be ever worse since their birds sit lower than ours. Sorry :(

Actually, I'd be golden with Dish Network via Eastern Arc. If only Directv was also at 61.5, 72, and 77! As far as 103 goes, it looked clear to me there, but you would definitely know better. Still, I thought on a 99/101/103 dish that it points at 101?

Actually, I'd be golden with Dish Network via Eastern Arc. If only Directv was also at 61.5, 72, and 77! As far as 103 goes, it looked clear to me there, but you would definitely know better. Still, I thought on a 99/101/103 dish that it points at 101?

It does point at the 101 but also the 99 and 103. The 101 is the main bird we use. We use it for most programming (SD) and for all peaking and pointing of dishes. It's pretty much the major bird but the 99 and 103 have your HD on it. We have what's called installation verification and what it is is to make sure when a system is installed or serviced the signals are exactly where they need to be. If the signals are not what they should be the receiver(s) won't activate. If you have a single tree limb in the way of the 103 and it blows in a certain way during activation the tech is screwed. He just put in a receiver and activated it on your account and you can't use it. That's why the 10 degree rule is going to come in to play. Where that 103 is from the spot the picture is taken is too close for comfort if it was me.

An independent installer may be willing to do the install. It doesn't hurt to have them come out and check. You might consider a taller pole. Mine is 9 ft up and 3 ft in the ground with no guy wires. It's been there for 7 years with no issues.

It does point at the 101 but also the 99 and 103. The 101 is the main bird we use. We use it for most programming (SD) and for all peaking and pointing of dishes. It's pretty much the major bird but the 99 and 103 have your HD on it. We have what's called installation verification and what it is is to make sure when a system is installed or serviced the signals are exactly where they need to be. If the signals are not what they should be the receiver(s) won't activate. If you have a single tree limb in the way of the 103 and it blows in a certain way during activation the tech is screwed. He just put in a receiver and activated it on your account and you can't use it. That's why the 10 degree rule is going to come in to play. Where that 103 is from the spot the picture is taken is too close for comfort if it was me.

I really appreciate you sharing your expertise. Did you get a look at the shot I took from under the corner of my roof at ground level? Do you think from the roof (at least 20 feet up) and maybe with the assistance of a pole mount that I could clear my trees?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts