A Couple Of Installation/LOS Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
An independent installer may be willing to do the install. It doesn't hurt to have them come out and check.

I wouldn't even have it installed unless a better clearing could be found. The 103 is boarder line working from that picture and I've seen that app be slightly off before so it could be completely covered. He'd miss half of his HD

An independent installer may be willing to do the install. It doesn't hurt to have them come out and check. You might consider a taller pole. Mine is 9 ft up and 3 ft in the ground with no guy wires. It's been there for 7 years with no issues.

Would I need an independent installer to do a pole installation, or could I get the regular directv installer to do it?

Would I need an independent installer to do a pole installation, or could I get the regular directv installer to do it?

Either one. But you may want to check local code on a pole that close to a sidewalk as well. Me, I wouldn't be caught dead with my dish that close to a public sidewalk. A slight bump, or an easy snip and you're out of tv completely until it gets fixed. There is NO WHERE else it could possibly go?

Jay,
I would go ahead and have D* come out and look it over, if it's a No go then contract the Local Installation guy and set it up, or you can do it yourself.

There is NO WHERE else it could possibly go?

Here's a google earth dish pointer view so you can see what I'm dealing with on my property. Ignore the tree to the right of my driveway as it is no longer there.

image.jpg

What about where that tree used to be? Is that where you took the pictures from?

The picture of the sats with your house in it, can you move to your left so that the sats are in the opening of the trees?

The picture of the sats with your house in it, can you move to your left so that the sats are in the opening of the trees?

The picture I posted that is above the one I took from below my roof? No. That picture is me standing right by my sidewalk. Anymore to the left and I'm on the sidewalk. If I try to change the angle much more I get very close to my neighbors property line. If I wasn't so afraid of heights I'd check out the view from that front left corner of my roof. With that height, and maybe if a pole was installed there the angle might be above the tree line?

What I meant was if you move to the left, it may allow for an opening to see the satellites from your roof.

What I meant was if you move to the left, it may allow for an opening to see the satellites from your roof.

Oh, ok. No, The picture from under my roof would be the farthest left corner possible. So it would be a matter of being above the widest part of the tree which I can't tell unless I'm on the roof. So if you figure the roof has to be at least 20 feet above where I was taking the picture, then adding some additional height if it's pole mounted. Maybe then it's above the the wide part of the trees?

Oh, ok. No, The picture from under my roof would be the farthest left corner possible. So it would be a matter of being above the widest part of the tree which I can't tell unless I'm on the roof. So if you figure the roof has to be at least 20 feet above where I was taking the picture, then adding some additional height if it's pole mounted. Maybe then it's above the the wide part of the trees?

Can't mount a pole on a roof if I read that right. I'd go with Jimbo's idea. Let directv come out and scope out the entire property. They do it for a living and if there is a spot they SHOULD be able to find it

Can't mount a pole on a roof if I read that right. I'd go with Jimbo's idea. Let directv come out and scope out the entire property. They do it for a living and if there is a spot they SHOULD be able to find it

Will do. Just hoping to throw out some ideas in case the natural reaction of "no way" happens when they first arrive at my house and you see all the trees! I just want them to try. That's all. Put some effort into it. :)

A customer can't assume things though. I moved into this house in February 2011 with an install set up for the following week. The installer came out and refused to do the install citing line of sight issues. Two weeks later, after getting fed up with Comcast's issues, I ordered DirecTV again. It was installed with no issues and continues to work to this day. Honestly, I think the first guy just didn't want to deal with my landlord. I can't really blame him.

A customer can't assume things though. I moved into this house in February 2011 with an install set up for the following week. The installer came out and refused to do the install citing line of sight issues. Two weeks later, after getting fed up with Comcast's issues, I ordered DirecTV again. It was installed with no issues and continues to work to this day. Honestly, I think the first guy just didn't want to deal with my landlord. I can't really blame him.

That's why I said just let them come out and look around. I've been on several jobs that was given NLOS and I didn't have a single issue finding a spot. It really all depends on how lazy the installer is. We're suppose to have every NLOS confirmed now by supervision before it gets canceled now

Quick update. After playing with the Dishpointer AR app a little I noticed that you really need to hold it steady in one spot for at least 15-30 seconds because it seems to recalibrate a touch. I was curious about that because there was a descrepency between the app and the google earth dish pointer. So I took some new shots. The first is from as far back as I can go while staying on my property and staying off the sidewalk. The second is on that same line but closer to the house near a ground up stump I have. I'm thinking I have line of sight!

image.jpg

image.jpg

That first pic doesn't have a 10 degree window but you would be able to more than likely get a vet tech to put it in. It's close but doable

That first pic doesn't have a 10 degree window but you would be able to more than likely get a vet tech to put it in. It's close but doable

I hope you're right! Since it will be a front lawn install, will they have issues doing a pole mount? Also, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, do they do installs in the rain?

Ordinarily I'd agree but in my case the window that is open is above mature trees, not in between where they would only have to grow horizontally. I don't think these trees are going to get taller quickly. But yeah, I think I'm going to have to plead with the installer to help me out!

Good luck with that... we're disciplined and back charged for installing under the circumstances you described. Expect to bribe the tech over this... you'd need to offset the money he would potentially lose.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts