A criminal tells me about "FTA"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exactly the VS ultra will NOT scan in white springs unless you enter in the tps manually.You MUST modify the .sat file or enter it in manually to get it. If you load the same info in the 2300 it will scan them in also. When you have to enter in the same info to me the boxes are doing the same thing. To me this means that without that info you have no true blind scan. But if you ask a 2500 to scan it , it will pull it in every time.

To me this means that without that info you have no true blind scan.

not necessarily. Just because the VS skips one or two transponders doesnt mean there isnt a blind scan on the receiver.

If it picks up most of the frequencies, then its a blind scan. Turbosat noted the drawbacks of the Viewsat above (low symbol rate).

My Coolsat 5000 when scanning SBS6 it will sometimes skip ONN. Does that mean the CS5000 doesnt have a true blind scan? Heck no. I love the blind scan on the CS5000. It picks up ONN 9 out of 10 times :)

The VS ultra will miss white springs 10 out or 10 without adding the correct TP info. This is not a true blind scan. I have one and I have tested it, Unless your going to tell me about a korean s/w quirk the VS is inadequate. and not a true blind scan, I wish I bought a pansat from the get go.

Let me add a slightly different slant to the initial thread. Are dish /direct signals not breaking and entering? There is a legal US precedent that it is and the owner can use that signal and do with it what he likes providing it remains within the home and is not shared or causes interference.

Hackers are not a major problem in Europe or here I suspect, since they would never buy a subscription and encryption is somewhat better.

In Europe card sharing which incidently is way in advanced of the States in packages and users, and is a real major issue without legislation and may overtake FTA.

Blindscan is a real cheap and nasty piece of software designed to sell more boxes primarily in the US it is not a feature in European receivers where firmware updates are readily available.

Let me add a slightly different slant to the initial thread. Are dish /direct signals not breaking and entering? There is a legal US precedent that it is and the owner can use that signal and do with it what he likes providing it remains within the home and is not shared or causes interference.

You can intercept the signal out of the air. You just can't *decrypt* it legally. I don't believe there is any precedent supporting signal piracy.

Blindscan is a real cheap and nasty piece of software designed to sell more boxes primarily in the US it is not a feature in European receivers where firmware updates are readily available.
No offense, but I find this statement trollish. Blind scan is a *hardware* supported feature on most new receivers and it is specifically designed to find signals. Initially it was a software feature sure, but designed to *find signal* not sell hardware. This is like saying Firefox is designed to sell broadband Internet access.

Firmware updates being available has nothing to do with being able to blind scan for signals. There is no way that European firmware updates come out each day to cover any live news events that are using never seen before frequency, polarity, symbol rate, FEC combinations for a few hours at most.

count me out, they can pay for it themselves. I allready pay enough in tax's. When I struggle to put food on the table and pay the bills, a company that makes $698 million in 9m, and I make $40k/year ...

ya they can pay for that themselves. the answer to everything, isnt the tax payer btw. I dont see anyone willing to pay $100/year more in tax's to bail ME out.

Dish sent me two new cards for my dish receivers. The receiver had the embedded smart cards in them, but with Nagra 3, they sent me their new Nagra 3 "G3" cards. Hopefully they remove Nagra 2 soon and put an end to hacking completely.

Actually the term "Charlie" or more often "Uncle Charlie" has been used for many years (long before DBS) to refer to the FCC. But quite often terms get changed around to different meanings.

So, Charlie can refer either to the FCC (which IS the Sheriff and Judge) or to Charlie Ergen.
And hackers are really the good guys while crackers are the bad boys.

The only pirates the FCC concerns itself with are pirate radio, or tv stations broadcasting signals illegally. Weather Charlie Ergen securely encrypts his signal is of no concern to them.

Regarding T.V broadcasters.

Bell Expressvu. Dish Network. Direct TV. etc etc.

You pay for their services.

They don't come cheap.

My full subscription to Bell costs me $125 AND change every month.

IF I am paying for T.V for that kind of money WHY am I forced to watch commercials?

As far as I am concerned the Brodcasters are ALL ripping us off...if you pay for T.V it should be commercial free.

It would like buying a car and having a bunch of ads stickered all over it.

Most people wouldn't buy the car.

You buy a product you should not have to be exposed to ANY advertising.

I agree with that.

The channels with advertising should be free, and unencrypted, with the channels paying Dish for carriage, not the other way around.

I agree with the last statement, but, as far as 'most people wouldn't buy the car'...
Pretty much every car you see (NOT mine) have the dealer's ad plastered on the back of it - or on the license plate frame.
Those tick me off to no end... I remove them, always.
And how many folks PAY for clothes that advertise the brand?
That's a cool deal there - make folks pay us to advertise our product!

I think MOST people are so gullible, they WILL buy the car just to say they have it!

Same deal with the TV signals... How many times have you heard... "Yep, I got me the mostest, biggest, greatest, expensivest subscription you can get..."

You got that right. The teens and tweens in the extended family just had to have the shirts with the horse on them, and the purse with the letter "C" all over it, you get the idea.

IF I am paying for T.V for that kind of money WHY am I forced to watch commercials?

Because we'd have to pay even more if there were no commercials. Get a DVR like I did.

As far as I am concerned the Brodcasters are ALL ripping us off...if you pay for T.V it should be commercial free.

It is not ripping you off unless you're forced to buy it by government regulations. You're choosing to pay that much per month. Just like the person in your car analogy votes with their dollars against the ad covered cars, people can vote with their dollars against ad littered *PAY* TV. I think that is why a some of us are here on an FTA forum. ;)

About all a consumer can do to avoid ads is subscribe to premium movie channels that play movies without ad interruptions. Watch PBS as they don't run ads, just telethons. Use an Apple TV to buy the shows from iTunes where they don't have ads. Skip ads with a TiVo or MythTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts