A decent 3 burner gas grill?

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I kind of have an idea of what I am going for, but does anyone have any recomendations for a decent 3 burner (or any) gas grill from wall mart/sears/ect? I am about to get one to replace the 2 burner I have. I would like to keep it around $300-$400, less really, but thats around the top I would pay right now.

i got a Char-Broil grill from Big-Lots it was their $179 version for $143 after taxes
i will post a model # later when i get home. I really like it
it wasn't too expensive and fit my needs.

I will be buying "The Big Easy Cooker" which is a gas/propane version of the orion cooker, as soon as its on the market.

I would get a Weber
They do cost more but availibilty of parts amd accessories is why I like it, any ace or true value carries all the weber parts. The only thing to watch for is some of the newer webers are made in china are are much cheaper made.

You know...as much as I love to cook and grill, I seldom spend a lot of money on grills because I use them so often, they don't really last that long no matter how good they are. I grill all winter long even...I grilled today! lol...

But seriously, I do agree that a three burner is the way to go (great for cooking using indirect heat), and if you don't have a sideburner on your current grill, get one on your new grill...you'd wonder how you ever got along without it!

You know...as much as I love to cook and grill, I seldom spend a lot of money on grills because I use them so often, they don't really last that long no matter how good they are. I grill all winter long even...I grilled today! lol...

But seriously, I do agree that a three burner is the way to go (great for cooking using indirect heat), and if you don't have a sideburner on your current grill, get one on your new grill...you'd wonder how you ever got along without it!
I understand Vampz. There is no "grilling season" for me. I grilled last night (steaks), and will fire it up tonight (pork chops). It gets used as much as my oven, stove or microwave

I dont mind paying a little more if the grill cooks a little better, but I wont pay more for a name because it lasts longer. My experience is the same as yours. I use it too much for that to really become a factor. Mine will wear out far quicker than most, or I will get the "fever" again and buy another in a year or so anyway.

To Dodge. I do agree that Weber makes a great Charcoal grill (the best IMHO), never tried a gas one though.

I did see a stainless 3 burner Char-Broil on sale at wal mart today for $169. It also had the side burner. I started to pick it up. My current gas grill is the same brand, and cooks fine, but it isnt stainless, and doesnt have the side burner.

I did see a stainless 3 burner Char-Broil on sale at wal mart today for $169. It also had the side burner. I started to pick it up. My current gas grill is the same brand, and cooks fine, but it isnt stainless, and doesnt have the side burner.

Ok...if I were you, I would be all over that deal....seriously...

decent brand, good material (stainless), fits your requirements, and the sideburner while I'm sure you will love...priced well below your threshold

I would say you cannot go wrong...I'd go so far to say that I would pick up that grill and I don't even need a new one...(yet:) )

Ok...if I were you, I would be all over that deal....seriously...

decent brand, good material (stainless), fits your requirements, and the sideburner while I'm sure you will love...priced well below your threshold

I would say you cannot go wrong...I'd go so far to say that I would pick up that grill and I don't even need a new one...(yet:) )

Haha, the best thing is, it is already put together!!!!! It has been there for a month (floor model, no boxes left). I am probably going to pick it up next week when I am off.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had some recomendations

Haha, the best thing is, it is already put together!!!!! It has been there for a month (floor model, no boxes left). I am probably going to pick it up next week when I am off.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had some recomendations

HA! Excellent! If you want to break it in, I know a great bourbon steak recipe I got from someone on the inter....

...wait a minute. :D :D :D lol...

I'd love to hear some recommendations too, but I honestly don't think many are going to be able to top your find. Enjoy it!

haha, You know, I forgot about that recipe! I still use the ribs recipe though!

I am going to have to cook that steak again soon!

I use a Weber Genesis Gold (natural gas model) about twice a week year-round, and only recently have I had any problems, only thing that has gone wrong with it is the ignitor has rusted out, and just last week I noticed the steel liner for the lid is rusted out on the bottom back of the lid, allowing it to come loose. I have not checked on parts or price for them yet.

Be aware I NEVER have used the side burner, but I have one...just have no use for it. The stainless burners, grates, and flavorizer bars are nice though.

Dang thing was 500.00 though 3 years ago...I would have NEVER paid that for a gas grill for myself, the people we put up that lost everything in Katrina bought it for us...:D

That being said the Weber is the finest gas grill I have ever grilled a steak on. Hands down. Even heating, as well as precise temp control, compared to the other grills I have had over the years.

But your floor model seems like a great deal, I think I'd jump on that. :up

1 more vote for the Weber gasser. I have a NG Weber and it's built like a rock and cooks to perfection. Quite simply the best gas grill I've ever used.

I actually used to assemble bbqs for a living for Home Depot. Steer clear of Charbroil. Unless you are buying one of their professional series grills they are flat out junk. Their burners are the thinnest made and will be rusted out and needing replacement annually. They are poorly designed so you will have hot spots, which will cause uneven cooking at various places. They also have a bad tendency to flare up worse than any other grill. For $300-400 you can get a Weber genesis series grill which is leaps and bound beyond Charbroil's bargain bin grills.

Weber has the best warranty in the industry and is the only manufacturer that will atually send a service tech to your house to repair your grill. If you buy one at Home Depot, it should come with cast iron grills standard. The flavorizer bars weber uses are excellent at dissipating that propane taste gas grills are hated for. This also applies to Ducane Grills, which are now owned by weber and enjoy the same warranty benefits. Do it right the first time and you won't be buying a new grill in two years. Charbroil is junk.

Weber certianly sounds like they are the best, but as I said, the inferior construction of the charbroil will rarely come into play for me. I look at a year, maybe 2 at the most out of one before it would need to be replaced, top brand or not. I have had the same timeframe with my weber charcoal grills, I cant imagine the gas being much different. I will give them a closer look though based on all of the recomendations here. Thanks guys:up

I went thru several Char-Broil, Sunbeam, and some other grill (brand name escapes me now) over the years. Every year or two I needed to replace burners or some other parts. Rust was incredible.

Then I broke down and bought a Weber gas grill. I think I've had it 7, maybe 8 years now. Only things I've replaced are the flavorizer bars and the thermometer (which I broke).

Can't imagine why you think you'll replace yours every other year, despite your charcoal grill experience.

BTW, I have a Weber Smokey Mtn (bullet). Coming up on two years, I believe. Still in great shape, despite my Turkey Day 2007 Great Goose Fat Fire. But I do keep both units covered.

I've had a Fiesta Branded 2 Burner Grill for over 10 years, kept outside and uncovered... only maintenance besides cleaning and replacing Lava rock was replacing the burner a couple of weeks ago (bought the burner on clearance at Wally World a couple of years ago... needs a new ignitor but It is close enough to my Orion stuff to grab the lighter I use for it...

Can't imagine why you think you'll replace yours every other year, despite your charcoal grill experience.

I guess it wouldnt HAVE to be replaced. Things can be repaired. I simply use mine ALOT. 4 or 5 times a week on average (I used it last night, the night before, and its lit now) . That is year round. Things will wear out. After that much usage, over a year or two, you can either replace what needs to be replaced, or buy another one, for not much difference in price. The main difference is I can have a new one, and sell the old one for a few bucks. It has worked out well in the past.

Now if I could find a good one that is a little more that would stand up to that usage and wouldnt cost an arm and leg on top of what I paid to keep working at top condition, sure I would probably get it. The ones recommended might, I am simply going off of my experience with the charcoal version of the same company. There may be a world of difference. How often do you use your weber?

MSmith, just curious, how did you break your charcoal grill? There's not too many parts in a charcoal to damage/wear down. Did you keep it uncovered in the rain or out in the harsh elements or something?

I've had a Fiesta Branded 2 Burner Grill for over 10 years, kept outside and uncovered... only maintenance besides cleaning and replacing Lava rock was replacing the burner a couple of weeks ago (bought the burner on clearance at Wally World a couple of years ago... needs a new ignitor but It is close enough to my Orion stuff to grab the lighter I use for it...

Wow...I have a fiesta grill as well. Three burner with side burner. I paid a ridiculous 140 for it three years ago and its still going well. I'm like msmith...the grill is my primary cooking platform. I buy a cheap grill with no expectations other than three years worth of hard labor. So far, my fiesta has served its time well...including frequent summer cookouts (including four beercan chickens simultaneously), sunday game days, two (going on three) superbowl parties, and the occasional breakfast sausages...

Not taking away from anyones opinion regarding weber or otherwise, but I can certainly live with that... :up

I went thru several Char-Broil, Sunbeam, and some other grill (brand name escapes me now) over the years. Every year or two I needed to replace burners or some other parts. Rust was incredible.

Then I broke down and bought a Weber gas grill. I think I've had it 7, maybe 8 years now. Only things I've replaced are the flavorizer bars and the thermometer (which I broke).

BTW, I have a Weber Smokey Mtn (bullet). Coming up on two years, I believe. Still in great shape, despite my Turkey Day 2007 Great Goose Fat Fire. But I do keep both units covered.

Same here I replace my parents burner in their subeam about once a year, I have used the sunbeam burners and even the aftermarket burners and none seem to hold up. I picked up a weber genesis gas grill on the local junk cleanout day, bought a new grate and new flavorizer bars and it is good as new now. That was 4 years ago, the old weber is still going good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)