A Dedicated C band Guy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Last night around 9:30pm I noticed my G1 signal was down and I was getting some sparkles on analog. I was this isn't right so I pulled out the 5" tv and wrenches and proceeded to see what was going on. Seems the Head move a tad to the west. Confirmed this using the push up/down method and watching the EBNO on HBO. So I did some fine adjustments to the head and all is well. I haven't touched alignment on the BUD in about 2 years (been lazy) But glad I did last night since things look so much better. The heads do shift a bit from time to time since there is a lot of force on it from the winds. I used to do 2 tuneups a year just to be safe. 12 footers are touchy and have to be in the center of the beam. But when they are they really get the job done.

I have to admit that is dedication or crazyness to go do alignment late at night, But you guys know where Im coming from. Wonder what the neighbors thought :eek:

Now you only have to look at the bright side...it didn't happen 8 months from now because it could have been 10 below and 20 mph winds.

Now you only have to look at the bright side...it didn't happen 8 months from now because it could have been 10 below and 20 mph winds.

I thought about that when I was bringing in my tools last night, how much nicer it was to work on it :) then when I changed my actuator in January this year in between snow storms. :(

I bet most of us have had the need to do something out on the dish in the dark. I remember one time my actuator broke at night. I was looking at the window from a few hundred feet, watching for some kind of picture on the screen and propping the dish in place. Just thankful for anything at all.

At least at night the bees won't bother you. :)

I bet most of us have had the need to do something out on the dish in the dark. I remember one time my actuator broke at night. I was looking at the window from a few hundred feet, watching for some kind of picture on the screen and propping the dish in place. Just thankful for anything at all.

At least at night the bees won't bother you. :)

It's easy to see the tv screen at night no sun glaring in the screen washing it out. :) All in all I look at it like this. I run my Bud like Im a commercial headend and I must stay up. Call me crazy :eek: ;)

thats nothing, i went outside before when it was 15 below zero to adjust a dish for 3 hours

and you cant wear gloves or you cant get a good grip on the wrench, the tools stick to your hands

thats nothing, i went outside before when it was 15 below zero to adjust a dish for 3 hours

and you cant wear gloves or you cant get a good grip on the wrench, the tools stick to your hands

I've done my share of work on the dish in the winter. I could tell you stories that most most people would never do. Remember Fizzle I've been in this for 22 years. My first bud (a 10 foot) was installed in a week of zero to 5 degree temps in December. :)

I guess someone wants a cookie.... :rolleyes:

Done that numerous times in -20 and below. Ya get use to it :)

I guess someone wants a cookie.... :rolleyes:

Done that numerous times in -20 and below. Ya get use to it :)

Hey Ice is that how you got your name ;)

BTW Ice thanks for the EBNO tip on the 4D's it works wonders. :)

I wish I could just go and adjust my dish anytime I wanted to. My dish is about 28foot up on top of my house. Not a flat roof. I live in one of those little villages where the houses are about only 20 feet apart and I live in the first row of houses. Meaning there are 4 other rows of 3 floor houses in the way of the dish if it were on the ground. Small yard also. It was put up there about 20 years ago. The installer had a bucket truck. He must of done a lot of those installs in order to have that kind of truck. I been going up there every year to tweek. I'll be going up there soon. HBO is acting up, wind must of been strong a few weeks ago. I take a can of hornet spray with me and hide behind the chimney and spray into the horn, because I know from other times there will be hornets or bees in there. You should see the big nests I find. When they start flying out I hug the chimney hoping they fall before they find me. Probably a yearly show for the people watching. Last year I took a portable tv up there. But had to use a long electric cord. The batterys were dieing to fast. Pluss I'll do it early or late when the sun is not bright. I'm 6foot 3 so that helps in reaching the lnb's because the dish is a little high in order to miss the peak of the roof.

HBO is acting up, wind must of been strong a few weeks ago.

if you have a feedhorn cover, its not to bad of an idea to remove it, seems to keep wasps from making a nest.

If you dont have that little blue cover that snaps in front of the feedhorn, get one, it will save alot of wasps from making nests there.

I have never had a wasp or hornet problem then again, ive havent had a big dish over 2 years.
also, if you have the wrench, tighten up the mounting bolts, they might have loosened up over the years letting the dish move in high wind.

how to read the ebno...I've posted it like 400 times here :)

options 6-0-5 right arrow to diag c. Better and easier to see signal quality then the stupid signal meter

ok i knew that, i just thought you meant something special about the ebno

why cant any sat west of 89 come in? ebno just stays at 6.2

The EBNO meter updates faster then the Quality meter does. Which makes it easier to tune. The Quality meter averages over time in a 4D.

I really need to use the EBNO tip on G1. It drifts like crazy on me. I don't don't have that problem with any other satellite, but G1 is just refuses to stay centered. I usually end up just going to the Arts channel and tuning it in when shutting down for the night.

I really need to use the EBNO tip on G1. It drifts like crazy on me. I don't don't have that problem with any other satellite, but G1 is just refuses to stay centered. I usually end up just going to the Arts channel and tuning it in when shutting down for the night.

Your best bet is to align your dish outside on the G1 HBO's. Being 7/8 FEC they are the most critical. So when your peaked your peaked. Then everything else will fall into place. That's what I do. :D

what makes me mad is i can peak the dish to get 12.0+ ebno on G1. I move my dish to somewhere far away w5, then if i punch g1 back in it will move the dish back, but not peaked. do i have enough magnets?

what makes me mad is i can peak the dish to get 12.0+ ebno on G1. I move my dish to somewhere far away w5, then if i punch g1 back in it will move the dish back, but not peaked. do i have enough magnets?

Slop in the arm or mount. Or your loosing counts because of non shielded cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)