mossg

Original poster
May 26, 2006
S.C. Latitude 34.92 N – Longitude 81.96 W
Dish: FC80CM
LNBF: Invacom SNH-031
Receiver: Pansat 2700A
No Motor

I originally posted this on another forum, never heard much back on that site. I would enjoy your feedback, even if you do consider this a crazy idea. I asked not to be hammered if this sounded dumb, on the other site. This might have turned some people off, not my intention. Hammer away!!!! LOL

Ok after 2 weeks of trying I found my first satellite, AMC3. Being a newbie this was somewhat frustrating. I read many threads on this site to give direction. I also received help from members that helped to answer some questions that I had. I used all of the traditional tools, good compass, signal finder, ensured my mounting pole was level, X and Y of my mounting pole. Still took me some time to find AMC3. I believe one of my problems, was the LNBF that I chose, Invacom SNH-031. The reason I say this, the listed LNBF gave great signal strength, on my signal meter, when pointing directly to earth, very sensitive. Having said all of this, you might understand I was reluctant in trying to locate any other satellites. Some of the newbie events that occurred, I found the wrong bird, did a blind search, connected the wrong TP’s with AMC3, the factory reset is a great tool on my receiver. So I found AMC 3, I marked the location of AMC3 first. I chose to use different color markers, so for AMC3, I used a red marker. I drew a thin line on the dish mounting unit, and a corresponding mark on the mounting pole, future Azimuth point. I also marked the elevation with a thin red line. I have a similar problem that is mentioned often on this site, my elevation scale is not totally accurate, off by about 3 degrees, must take this into account when locating new birds. I have somewhat of a technical background. So I tried to look at all possibilities before moving my dish again. My first thought was to lay out some type of degree system on my mounting pole. OK even after drinking a couple of cold ones, this idea did not sound very refreshing. So I started searching the web for a solution. I typed in degree wheel, and found a site. So I down loaded a printable degree wheel from http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html
I printed this degree wheel full size, 7” diameter, easier to read the scale. I cut it out along the circumference. This left a very flimsy degree wheel, not usable. So I used my receiver box, and cut out a matching 7” diameter. I used school glue to connect the two. After a short drying period I cut an inside circular hole that matched my mounting pole diameter, this is important, in that this will correctly keep your degree wheel concentric with your mounting pole. I also drew a straight line at zero degrees, from outside diameter to enter circle, I then used scissors to cut along this straight line. This will make it possible to mount degree wheel to your mounting pole. OK degree wheel made, now on to the pointer. Before moving on to the next section, pointer, if you are the type that gets a scrape, cut, bruise, or other injury, from every attempted project, you SHOULD WEAR THE NECESSARY PPE’s, for this and all projects. So I would recommend at a minimum you wear safety glasses and some type of protective gloves before making a pointer, especially if you choose to make it from wire. Disclaimer said I chose to make a pointer out of a wire clothes hanger, universal material for all projects. Cut a length of wire that is long enough, so when you make a 90 degree bend, it is long enough to contact the numbers located on your degree wheel. I used duct tape to connect the pointer to the dish mounting unit, another universal material for all projects. The pointer should be mounted dead center of dish mounting unit, if not you may encounter a deviation error when moving. To find a new satellite, the pointer must be free moving, so leave a small space between it and your degree wheel, no interference. You can also secure your degree wheel to your mounting pole with duct tape, leaves both hands free, to move your dish. So basically your pointer moves with your satellite mounting unit, while your degree wheel remains stationary. Before making your trip outside to attach this apparatus, visit a web site that gives you satellite locations. I used www.hollsco.com/Products/SatCalc/index.asp , because it gave a city closer to my location. The information listed on Sadoun’s only listed a city that was over 110 miles away from my location, however the information listed at Sadoun’s did give accurate information as to LNB skew. At the Hollsco’s web site a city within 15 miles was listed, so I used Hollsco’s. So how does all of this work? The listing at Hollsco’s for AMC3, bearing 188.9 degrees, or compass reading for my location. The satellite I wanted to find was T5, or I think also IA5. The listed position for T5 is 205.1 at my location, and an elevation of 46.4. I moved my elevation first, because of the deviation aforementioned; I must add a positive 3 degrees to every adjustment that I make. So for me I took the 46.4 and added 3 degrees, making my elevation 49.4. Since I was moving in a westward position, I used my current position AMC3 at 188.9, and subtracted my desired location, T5 at 205.1. This gave a difference of 16.2 degrees. For me knowing the movement would be west, I aligned the pointer at 16 degrees in relationship to the degree wheel, and then moved to zero degrees. Or you could simply count degrees as you move. I did not find T5 on my first attempt, using the degree wheel; so I made one degree moves, first moving west. After the second move I got a signal on T5. At this point I made the smallest move on the elevation, and got good signal lock. Finding T5, took less than one hour. If nothing else using this degree wheel apparatus will emphasize what the senior members of this forum are talking about when the say you should make small incremental moves when trying to find a bird. In closing the best advice that I can give, AS A NEWBIE, before using this or other manner to find a different satellite, be sure you know what your current position is. Be sure the TP’s and programming align with the bird you believe you are looking at; this can be verified by visiting www.lyngsat.com .

I have attached some photos, for your enjoyment.

The definition for insanity - In short to approach a problem, doing the same thing over and over the same way, and to expect different results.

Attachments

• Send3.jpg
    Send3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 132
Thanks Drhydro,

I checked out your forum, I may yet begin another hobbie, great info.

What a great idea! This might encourage me to try for some other satellites. The first DSS dish I put up several years ago had degree indications on a label that wrapped around the mount. But since there was only one DSS satellite at the time I never understood why it was of any use.

mossg said:
Thanks Drhydro,

I checked out your forum, I may yet begin another hobbie, great info.
Thanks, I put a lot of time into that site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)