A Dish oversight, intended confusion or deception - you decide.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I'm still trying to get a reasonable explanation regarding the Fox News HD feed Dish now carries and why those with even the BEST HD package can't get it. While waiting for an answer from ceoechostar, I offer this.

As I see it, it's indisputable that Dish's new programming packaging is at best, un-necessarily confusing and at worst borderline deceptive by it's implications.

I assume everyone received the two programming flyers recently from Dish: "2009 Programming and Pricing Changes" (P&PC) and "Dish Network Channels & Packages" (DNC&P). What's strange is that although Dish currently carries both the Fox News SD and HD feeds, nowhere in either of those flyers could I find where the FNC-HD feed is available. Proof that it exists however is evident by it being listed in red in the all channel EPG (90xx group) and reports of some subs receiving it. In fact I had it for a few days before switching from the AEP + GoldHD + PlatinumHD to TurboHD Gold + Platinum HD.

In the DNC&P flyer, the SD feed of FNC becomes available with "Classic Silver 200 and SilverHD" and "Classic Gold 250 and GoldHD" but there is no "HD" icon after it. It appears the other channels listed in their respective packages have an "HD" icon after it where Dish carries both feeds.

At the bottom of page 2 of the DNC&P flyer, it shows that same "HD" icon and says "Channels are broadcast in both SD & HD unless indicated as 'HD only'. "You must purchase the HD package to receive the HD feed".

On the bottom of the back page of the same DNC&P flyer it states "TurboHD Gold includes only the HD channels in Classic Gold 250, Classic Silver 200 and Classic Bronze 100 packages as indicated by (the) "HD" (icon)".

Whether an oversight or borderline deception, one must decide for themselves but anyone that's had DishHD for a while knows it's been their policy when a customer pays for the HD package, they'd receive the HD feed of any SD channels they were subscribed to.

Based on that it is reasonable to assume that anyone paying for TurboHD Gold would be entitled to any HD feeds Dish has of the SD channels of the Classic Gold 250 channels.

HUH?:confused: Please forgive my ignorance, but I receive both Fox News (205) & Fox Business (506) in HD. I've got DVR Advantage + 250 pack + the $10 HD pack (Silver?). What am I missing? Is FNC something else?

Ed

HUH?:confused: Please forgive my ignorance, but I receive both Fox News (205) & Fox Business (506) in HD. I've got DVR Advantage + 250 pack + the $10 HD pack (Silver?). What am I missing? Is FNC something else?

Ed
No it's not and you're not missing anything. Just don't switch to even the best Turbo HD package and expect to still receive FNC-HD.

Yes and to simplify, in the past with Dish, if you received an SD channel from Dish and also paid for the HD package, you were entitled to get the HD feed of that channel if Dish carried it.

It seems Dish has departed from that policy without really making it clear to customers. While the departure from this particular policy is new, Dish not making it clear is not and that's my point.

As far as FNC in HD, my cable company added it AND FX-HD Jan 1st with NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, so I do have access to the channel. It's the sneaky way Dish goes about things that drives me batcrap. And the fact they think customers are too stupid to notice that's insulting.

Yes and to simplify, in the past with Dish, if you received an SD channel from Dish and also paid for the HD package, you were entitled to get the HD feed of that channel if Dish carried it.

It seems Dish has departed from that policy without really making it clear to customers. While the departure from this particular policy is new, Dish not making it clear is not and that's my point.

As far as FNC in HD, my cable company added it AND FX-HD Jan 1st with NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, so I do have access to the channel. It's the sneaky way Dish goes about things that drives me batcrap. And the fact they think customers are too stupid to notice that's insulting.

It didn't go unnoticed around here. There was plenty of bitching about it for good reason. Many of us are waiting to see what happens when the month of free preview ends this coming week. Scott has had Exec Office staff tell him that the channels are supposed to be available to the Turbo subs as well, but I think only one guy who switched from Classic Silver to Turbo Silver reported having it. There has been speculaion that the channels got turned on early by mistake. We'll know shortly whether that's true or not. What's also confusing is that the press release only mentioned the Classic packages. If it turns out E* isn't going to add new HD to the Turbo packs, it makes little sense to sign up for them and D* becomes a more attractive option if you have to have DBS.

we have seen so many threads here and everyone within echostar is well aware of this.

But I wonder whether people at fox is aware of this confusion. It won't hurt if everyone start calling fox directly and bring up this issue.

Ed

Fox News is 205. However, Fox News in HD is 9477 or something like that. You might be missing that.

BTW, you have Turbo Gold (AT250) + HD. If you had the $20/mo HD pack, you would have platinum. I have gold + platinum yet lack Fox News HD.

Hold on? So you are saying FoxnewsHD IS on Dish currently, and as a Turbo sub I won't get it?

Is this temporary or what? If not, I am as good as gone. BLANTANTLY lied to by CSR reps when I signed up.

I have AT250 and HD "Absolute"... it's been this way since I got Dish in November of '07 and whenever they launch a new HD channel, we get it. I don't really watch FNC or FOX Business, but we have them too. I guess from reading about all the trouble folks are having, I better never change to a different package! :eek:

You cannot have AT250 and HDAbsolute.

HD Absolute is a standalone package with ONLY HD channels. It was not combined with any SD package. Check your statement for the correct package you have.

Does Dish normally turn both the sd and hd version of a channel on during a free preview???
Or is this a first?

I ask because I have hd absolute.

You cannot have AT250 and HDAbsolute.

HD Absolute is a standalone package with ONLY HD channels. It was not combined with any SD package. Check your statement for the correct package you have.
My mistake ...it's "America's Top 250 with Locals" and "GoldHD with PlatinumHD" .

FNC sd WAS listed as a free preview a few weeks ago on channel 102.
It is no longer listed though we still receive the channel.

More to add to the mystery.

But this IS the case with Fox News HD. If you get it in SD, and also have the HD add on, you'll get it in HD. The problem is the people who DON'T get in in SD.

Don't get me wrong, they screwed up royally, but not in the way you seem to think. Also, I'd bet anything those fliers were printed well before Fox News HD appeared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)